Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Snow Chains Alternative

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This topic came up in a different, somewhat unrelated thread so instead of taking that thread further off track I thought I would post here. Here is the original conversation that started me looking into this if you're interested, it's a great story: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...-adventure-Frozen-stranded-but-loads-of-fun-)

In my opinion, tire socks are a much better choice. I have these for my Ampera:

Car Snow Socks | Snow Socks | Auto Sock | AutoSock UK
Well this does look like an interesting compromise. But regs and requirements vary pretty significantly here in the states. Wonder if these would pass muster as a chains alternative.
---------------------------------
Answered my own questions.
Looks to be 50 state approved per their site: http://www.autosock.us/
And here is the size you want for the stock 19" tire size: http://www.amazon.com/AutoSock-AS69...F8&refRID=0P995SKPWTNFMET1915X#productDetails
And lastly according to their FAQ: "Can I use AutoSock on roads where snow chains are required?In the U.S., most states do not regulate traction devices for cars and SUVs. Currently, Colorado has approved AutoSock for Semi-truck uses when snow chains are required in addition to many other states. Nevada requires steel link style tire chains." although Nevada's stance appears to have changed as of Oct. of this year per the map link above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been hunting for feedback on snow socks on the MS and have so far had a message from one MS owner who has used them successfully a couple of times (thanks Herbys). As a new UK MS owner with very positive experience of Autosocks on other cars (Mercedes R-Class) I want to use them on my P85D when I take it to the Italian mountains later this month. This successful example means that I will use them unless others feedback very different experience?

My experience of Autosocks is that they are excellent for occasional use (such as a ski trip) being very quick to put on/ off and surprisingly effective on improving grip. They do wear on tarmac but are so easy to remove that there is no need to keep them on and are fine with intermittent tarmac/ snow so long as you are sensible about speed.

Does anyone have any other experience on the MS? Since I only have one pair, any experience on front or rear use on a MS-D?

I have been hunting for feedback on snow socks on the MS and have so far had a message from one MS owner who has used them successfully a couple of times (thanks Herbys). As a new UK MS owner with very positive experience of Autosocks on other cars (Mercedes R-Class) I want to use them on my P85D when I take it to the Italian mountains later this month. This successful example means that I will use them unless others feedback very different experience?

My experience of Autosocks is that they are excellent for occasional use (such as a ski trip) being very quick to put on/ off and surprisingly effective on improving grip. They do wear on tarmac but are so easy to remove that there is no need to keep them on and are fine with intermittent tarmac/ snow so long as you are sensible about speed.

Does anyone have any other experience on the MS? Since I only have one pair, any experience on front or rear use on a MS-D?

If it were me I would put them on the rears, regardless of where the propulsion is coming from I was always taught to put the better grip tires on the rear. Looking forward to a report when you get back!

That is disgustingly clever.

"

Select your state to check approval *AutoSock is approved everywhere in orange."

umm... they all look orange to me... and who's going to pull you over for putting a hoody on your tires? lol

What are the limitations of something like this? Is this for "emergency" use when say, you're caught without proper snow tires? Please keep in mind the only (one) time I've seen chains used is when they were mandated going over high altitude passes in the Rockys.

Looks good to me. I'm taking a road trip in early March from CT to FL... While I have 19" all-season tires, there's still a chance of snow, say down to North Carolina, I'd think.

Here's another brand available at Autozone in Red or White for a little less than Autosock:

http://www.autozone.com/snow-chains/tire-snow-sock/shark-isse-size-70-red-and-black-classic-snow-tire-sock/488973_0_0/?checkfit=true

There's also this other brand on Amazon for even less: Amazon.com: ISSE ECO-70 Snow Sock 235/60-17 245/55-17 255/55-17 215/55-18 225/55-18 215/70-16 225/65-16 235/60-16 235/65-16 245/60-16 235/50-18 235/55-18: Automotive

Could be a cheap insurance policy instead of chains.

Well I went to Cortina but as it turned out the weather was so warm there was no snow at resort level, so I didn't need to use the snow socks after all! I was told by a Tesla engineer before I left that Tesla have had a couple of reports of snowsocks damaging calipers/ brake pipes in Norway (which I must say I am surprised at!). I think perhaps they were really saying that Tesla do not approve of it. My own experience of the snow socks on my Merc were very good. I would describe them as for occasional use however, as they do wear.

On the plus side, I did get the Model S up to 153mph on an unrestricted section of the Autobahn and I must say it was ROCK solid! I also love the way the speedo goes RED when you reach 145mph!!! :)

Hijacking an old thread here. But due to unprecedented winter weather in the Pacific Northwest, I just ordered a set of these in alternative to getting the $400 chains. I rarely see snow, and these are purrrfect. And for $96, pretty much hassle free, its a no brainer.

I do not see the need with a MS Dual drive. I drove from Golden B.C. to Revelstoke and back in snowstorms at night in my 70D with michelin Primacy all season tires with no problem at all .I live where we get 300 inches of snow with a 10 degree incline in my driveway and never had a problem going up or down the driveway. Even in 8 inches of snow with only 5 inches of ground clearance. I have found this car better than any other SUV in snow.