Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model X on display at Panasonic booth CES 2015?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to 2:24:30 Panasonic executive tells the audience they have a new Model X on display at there booth. I'm guessing it is just an older prototype (maybe the white Model X that was spotted being loaded on a trailer at Hawthorne)
http://live.cnet.com/Event/Panasonic_press_conference_at_CES_2015

Very interesting. He says, "We'll have a brand new Tesla Model X on display in our booth in the main hall and it is gorgeous, you really have gotta take the time to come see it."

Brand new could mean "beta" or it could mean "still unreleased". Maybe that is where the white Model X seen being transported from Hawthorne is going.

Guess that's where the X went to from Hawethorne.

Marco della Cava on Twitter:

B6m9Yb6CQAAsO0e.jpg

Neat. Those rims look similar to the Roadster 2.5 forged rims.

I am at CES and trying to see if one of my PR buddies can get me in to have a look. I suspect it's the old one too but the pic Panasonic posted was definitely not the white one with the mirrors. Probably just a stock picture from Tesla. The show floor doesn't officially open until tomorrow...

I am at CES and trying to see if one of my PR buddies can get me in to have a look. I suspect it's the old one too but the pic Panasonic posted was definitely not the white one with the mirrors. Probably just a stock picture from Tesla. The show floor doesn't officially open until tomorrow...

The pic from twitter at the show definitely matches with both the Hawthorne pictures from the 3rd and the original reveal event pictures.
Walter

It's probably not "new" to anyone really (unseen of course, but not new), "new" just sounds better than "you really have gotta take the time to come see the two years old prototype". :)

I think the reason Model X is there is evident from the photo too (the poster in the background), to denote Panasonic's participation in the gigafactory. Not that Model X is directly related to that, but getting a Model 3 prototype for the booth might have been a tad bit harder...

Besides: Falcon wings.

If this is an older version of the Model X what is the point of that? It just seems like a waste of time to me. Why would Tesla want them to display something that will not make it into production? If they wanted to display a car to showcase their batteries why not a Model S that is actually a real car? Does this version of the X even have a battery in it? I realize part of my reaction is frustration that I can't yet see a car that I put a deposit on over two years ago but I just don't get why they would do this.

If this is an older version of the Model X what is the point of that? It just seems like a waste of time to me. Why would Tesla want them to display something that will not make it into production? If they wanted to display a car to showcase their batteries why not a Model S that is actually a real car? Does this version of the X even have a battery in it? I realize part of my reaction is frustration that I can't yet see a car that I put a deposit on over two years ago but I just don't get why they would do this.

For Panasonic, I think it's just something to attract more people to their booth, and I think it will do that better than a Model S. For Telsa, I suppose it's just to do something nice for their valued partner.

Not that anyone was really holding out hope for an X beta at the show, but this pretty much guarantees it won't happen. Would be rather strange to truck in a years-old prototype and then also have the new one at the same show.

The Panasonic booth officially opens tomorrow but I snuck in there this evening (I'm a journalist with friends at Panasonic). Sure looks like the old one from Hawthorne to me. See attached pic.

20150105_183117-me-and-my-tesla.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

For Panasonic, I think it's just something to attract more people to their booth, and I think it will do that better than a Model S. For Telsa, I suppose it's just to do something nice for their valued partner.
Yes and yes. They had the model S in their booth last year. The Model X is, to the world at large, the "latest and greatest from Tesla." And I'm sure it will be soon... but not tomorrow. Have to wait a little longer for our reservations I guess.