Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" stock tire life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, my car's in for service right now and they're recommending I get new tires because of the combination of remaining tread depth 4/32-5/32 and the fact that there's a nail in one of the tires. I think I have about 16-17000 miles on the car right now. I do floor it off a red light occasionally but I think I drive pretty conservatively in general, and I only have a 60kWh car anyway.

I just had the stock 19" tires (he said they are Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's).

Just wondering if that sounds reasonable to people or not.

It depends on how aggressively you drive, if you rotate tires frequently, alignment, and if you have air suspension (if yes, less life for the tires). My experience is that Tesla is very aggressive in suggesting to replace tires early -- it does help make the car safer, I guess. Folks have had reported lifespans with the 19 inch tires of 15k to 49k. My experience has been 18-22k (I have 64k miles on my car). If you looking at the stock Goodyears, take a look at tirerack and discount tires: they have had them for $100 each usually.

Sounds about right. I have the same Goodyear Eagles and am replacing the original tires after 23,000 miles. The Tesla service people commented that they don't often see these tires last beyond 20K miles on 19" rims. Tire wear seems to be worse with the 21's so I guess we are lucky to get that much. Just got a quote of $112 a tire (Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's) from Discount Tire so I am staying with that particular tire. Other brands are $220 and up but don't seem to get you any more tire life for the extra money. Hope that helps.

I got 25k on my eagles, but then the tires are bald, the steel belts aren't only showing through, but are fraying, and I lost traction last week in wet conditions going around a corner. So ... Time for new tires for me! I bought Pirelli P7 Cinturato from TireRack, supposedly better than the Eagles, but almost twice the price. One thing I didn't like about the Eagles is that they have an asymmetric tread pattern meaning you can't rotate them normally.

FWIW, the Cinturato specs imply the tires should last at least 1.5x times longer than the Eagles. Anyways, I'll have them later this week and I'll see if they feel any better.

(LMB spouse)

Just replaced 19" stock Goodyears at 26,750 miles and 5/32" with Nokia WR G3s. S85, driven neither aggressively nor gently. Probably could have gotten a few more miles but...

Winter Is Coming.

A lot of the wear happened in the first 6000 miles, mostly on the rears. The Service Center realigned and much less wear since, in fact they suggested skipping the 12,000 mile rotation because the fronts still had less tread than the rears. Probably would have gotten 30,000 miles if alignment had been perfect on delivery.

My original 19 inch tires are still fine at 31k miles. I had to replace both rear tires due to a punctured tire, but the front wheels are the original ones. They look like they can take another 20k. I know the rear ties should get a little more wear as most of 'braking' is done through regen and of course acceleration is all on the rear tires. They way you drive makes all the difference. Go easy and you save a lot of money.

Reactions: Gt1948
Hey, my car's in for service right now and they're recommending I get new tires because of the combination of remaining tread depth 4/32-5/32 and the fact that there's a nail in one of the tires. I think I have about 16-17000 miles on the car right now. I do floor it off a red light occasionally but I think I drive pretty conservatively in general, and I only have a 60kWh car anyway.

I just had the stock 19" tires (he said they are Goodyear Eagle RS-A2's).

Just wondering if that sounds reasonable to people or not.

I got around 20-21K out of each set of tires I've used on my 19" S. And I am not an aggressive driver (most of the time). I drive mine below the 4/32 mark as well due to cost and distance.

So I swapped out my 25k mile old Goodyear Eagle RS2 today for Pirelli Cinturato P7. They are indeed very quiet tires, seems even quieter than the quiet Eagles I had. Once the tires aren't so new, I'll do some acceleration tests on them and see how they grip. I do like their deep treads, and normal symmetrical pattern as compared to the shallower tread and asymmetrical pattern of the Eagles. They cost more, but the expected tread wear life should even up the price. I had them installed at a local tire shop. Anyone know if a Tesla service center will mount tires if you purchased them elsewhere (like from TireRack and had them shipped to the Sc)?

• Informative
We're at about 22500 miles on the stock Goodyear Eagles, still holding up pretty well (7/32 all around at last measurement.) I expect to change them somewhere between the two year service (25K miles) and the 30K mile mark if tread wear remains the same as it has been. I've had the tires rotated every six months.

It depends on how aggressively you drive, if you rotate tires frequently, alignment, and if you have air suspension (if yes, less life for the tires). My experience is that Tesla is very aggressive in suggesting to replace tires early -- it does help make the car safer, I guess. Folks have had reported lifespans with the 19 inch tires of 15k to 49k. My experience has been 18-22k (I have 64k miles on my car). If you looking at the stock Goodyears, take a look at tirerack and discount tires: they have had them for $100 each usually.
Why does an air suspension reduce tire life?

Why does an air suspension reduce tire life?

Initially the alignment was very poor because the same settings were used on air and coil cars. This resulted in the air cars being wildly out of alignment when in the low suspension position. I believe this is now corrected--and the Service Centres appear to have the correct alignment for those older cars.

Air suspension in and of itself doesn't harm tire life.

I got 15,000 miles out of my primacys. The inside was at threads. The middle was at 6/32 and outside edge was at 7/32. (As measured by an independent tire place as well as the SC. I had put 13,000 miles on my snows and they only lost 1/32 in that entire time and no inner wear at all. About a week after I swapped out to my primacys my drive unit went out and after they put in a new one did an alignment (three times in fact) and that's what I believe was the demise of my tires! The local SC offered me two free tired and free install on all 4 and a free alignment to fix the issue. Or two free yearly checks. I took the two $600 check ups and bought my primacys elsewhere so that they'd have a warranty against them that would/could be upheld.

What at I was told by an independent based on the torque we have coming out of the back end the stock tires will be lucky to see 30,000. Great to see 35,000. That being said I'd say anything less than 20,000 and if recommend having a chat with your local SC

I'm nearing 38,000 miles on my original Goodyear Eagles and they are approaching end of life due to inner tread wear. They are, and always have been, very noisy tires. I hear this "thumping" sound at low speeds. I want to switch to the Primacy tires that come with newer cars.