Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why should a Mall have EV parking/chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed bayview village to suggest this and they responded by asking me why they should reserve valuable parking spots for EV.

What would you say?

Here are some thoughts :

1. EV buyers are more discerning as they have already made a decision to spend more $ than a typical car buyer in the same class of vehicle
2. If this is important to EV buyers they might decide to go to Yorkdale instead
3. It's the way of the future, there is brand value in being seen as a leader not a follower

Others?

They should put it away from the mall buildings so as not to be commandeered by other customers. Power cables are often easy to tap into out along the periphery. Tesla owning customers would rather walk a bit to avoid being ICEd. Teslas look good in their parking lot. :wink:
--

To encourage EV drivers of all stripes to patronize their shopping center, because if you don't, someone else will.

Shopping malls have additional services that do not directly help with sales: Security patrolling parking lots (customer safety); trams to give patrons rides to and from their parking spot (convenience); video cameras for surveillance (safety); I am sure there are others.

Seems the management of this particular shopping center is incredibly myopic or cheap!

To encourage EV drivers of all stripes to patronize their shopping center, because if you don't, someone else will.

Shopping malls have additional services that do not directly help with sales: Security patrolling parking lots (customer safety); trams to give patrons rides to and from their parking spot (convenience); video cameras for surveillance (safety); I am sure there are others.

Great reasons. Plus, the mall can make money by charging a small fee per kW, may be $0.15 / kW used? EVs need to be the way of the future. Let's help make that happen.

Depends on area served. If there's a significant area served (as with Maine's malls in South Portland, Bangor, maybe Auburn too) then it could encourage more and longer visits by PEV owners. That's about it, really. I think malls are borderline cases, because not being reserved visits you wouldn't be able to guarantee a spot anyway.

I have a charger at home so personally I am not too fussed about having charging spots wherever I go, at least when I am close to home. Bayview Village is actually only a few kms from my office and I drive by it every day. But I do believe that the Real Estate owners get LEED certification points for EV chargers. I am guessing that is why the office complex where I work installed two chargers a year or so ago.

At the brand new mall here there are 16 charge stations:

4 Tesla HPWCs (sponsored by the Tesla store)
4 Clipper Creek (J1772, no card required)
8 ChargePoints (require a card but are free for now)

On Saturday evening there were 4 Tesla Model S, 2 Volts, 2 Leafs, 1 Cadillac ELR and 1 Fisker Karma plugged in.

I lobbied the mall owner originally back in 2012 pre-construction to install chargers and today they are happy to see them being used so often. I (and others) tell folks all the time about the 16 charge stations the mall has and the mall operator tells me they have shoppers coming from up to 150 miles away! So a) it's good for business and b) it's been great PR for them.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Roadster HPWC Charge UTC.jpg

Roadster Charge HPWC David.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know... Why would a mall go to the trouble to install Free Wi-Fi?
I guess benches for sitting would be a similar example, why would they take up some of the limited walking space (and some of those benches cost more than an EVSE!)?

Perhaps the correct question is "Why wouldn't a mall put one it?" They put in all kinds of other things to attract customers. Most malls have not so close parking areas that are usually empty except on Black Friday and similar high traffic days.

I choose not to read the original reply as a "challenge", but more of a "hey, give us some good reasons so that when we go to the annual meeting of all the tenants (I have no idea how the malls work, but you know what I'm getting at), you can say - look, we installed the chargers, and here are all the reasons why that is good for you."

We should ask Tesla what the right answer is. Surely they have a good story for all the destination chargers they've put up.

I live near Bayview Village, but often go to Yorkdale just for the 'neatness' of being able to plug in. BV will be missing out on some good high end customers if they don't. As well, BV is always looking for that special cachet as they are a high end mall. It also makes them look like a good corporate citizen.

People who only drive a Tesla might not think of it, but in a more modest EV, if you want to go to a mall that's on the other side of town (40 miles), it better have charging, or you can just forget it. Plus once you drive that far, they have a captive customer for 2-3 hours. When I had my LEAF, I couldn't go to the big outlet mall in San Ysidro until they added charging.

They have an incentive to put in the slowest charger they can find to keep you around longer - I don't know if I am too crazy about that idea! A Tesla SC would only keep you around for 20 minutes - hardly enough time to get in and out of the mall.

I helped the major mall in S.Edmonton open their EV stations a few months ago.
The lingo for mall managers is "dwell time", it is something they measure and stress over. Anything that increases dwell time is a plus.
Smart mall managers would not provide more than 30 Amp services for the EV chargers, a nice balance between "attract" and "dwell".
Also, tell them it makes their mall a preferred destination for EV travelers if for no other reason than knowing they can juice up there.
And it never hurts to mention, as was in my case, they were the ONLY mall in Edmonton offering EV charging, which makes them an exclusive.
Tell them about plugshare web site. Free advertising to this community.