Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help? My Roadster just sprung a leak...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stevejust

T E S L A x (≡)
Feb 15, 2010
Dallas, TX
I left the house this morning and saw a puddle of what I thought was anti-freeze underneath the passenger side wheel area of the Roadster. I drove it yesterday for the first time in about a month up to Cars and Coffee, but didn't notice any problems. There's drip coming from the metal guide for the brake line running to the passenger side rear wheel.

I didn't think it was coming from the brake line, but even with this thing, I can't really tell where the leak is coming from for sure. In the photo, it definitely looks like the brake fluid dripping from two wet spots on the line. With most cars I jack it up and get under it and find out what's going on, but I'm just not into jacking up the roadster when it's so close to its yearly service anyway.

Anyone ever see anything like this before? At this point, I'm mainly just trying to figure out whether it's safe to drive up to the service center tomorrow. It is about 10 miles away from my house.

Roadster brake line.jpg
Puddle.jpg

Last edited:
I left the house this morning and saw a puddle of what I thought was anti-freeze underneath the passenger side wheel area of the Roadster. I drove it yesterday for the first time in about a month up to Cars and Coffee, but didn't notice any problems. There's drip coming from the metal guide for the brake line running to the passenger side rear wheel.

I didn't think it was coming from the brake line, but even with this thing, I can't really tell where the leak is coming from for sure. In the photo, it definitely looks like the brake fluid dripping from two wet spots on the line. With most cars I jack it up and get under it and find out what's going on, but I'm just not into jacking up the roadster when it's so close to its yearly service anyway.

Anyone ever see anything like this before? At this point, I'm mainly just trying to figure out whether it's safe to drive up to the service center tomorrow. It is about 10 miles away from my house

If you lost that much brake fluid you would see a drop in the reservoir fluid level. Have you checked that? I've also never seen brake fluid that color but it still could be. It does look about the same color as the coolant. You can probably drive 10 mi but you might want to top it up just to make sure. Be careful to use the right kind as specified in the manual.

Maybe battery coolant??

Anyone ever see anything like this before? At this point, I'm mainly just trying to figure out whether it's safe to drive up to the service center tomorrow. It is about 10 miles away from my house.

The only green liquid I know of in the roadster is the battery coolant. The reservoir is between the right rear wheel and door once you pop the trunk. It is anti-freeze, but I don't recall the type (I couldn't get it locally). I asked about it because in the winter my reservoir looks nearly empty, but the service center told me that is OK and don't top it off.

I'd call the service center to make sure it is OK to drive in for your annual. If it cold enough outside, you might be all right if you don't really heat up the battery.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I agree that this looks far more like coolant than brake fluid (mainly because of the color). I'll let you all know what the diagnosis is from the Service Center.

Most likely a cracked cooling reservoir. You should pop the rear trunk and look, its right above where that drip is coming from. I've read a few posts where people have seen them crack and leak. Typically that type of things leak at the seam where its bonded together.

Leaking coolant [Archive] - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Last edited:
I agree that it looks like battery coolent, and I expect that it is overflow from the reservoir on the right hand side above the ess. Mine did this for a while till we found the sweet spot for filling it (which was below the indicated fill line). Service basically said yeah that happens. Would make sure it's not cracked, and make sure there's "enough" in there, but otherwise just clean it up and consider it self correcting ;)

coolant.jpg
Definitely looks like coolant. My reservoir (by right wheel with trunk open) had a small crack a couple of years back. I was driving down to Pebble and passed by Fremont and stopped by to have them take a look. They could not immediately find crack. They said go ahead on trip and see if reservoir goes down. They gave me (yes free) a bottle of liquid to refill if it got low. Well it did get low on trip and upon return they disassembled and repaired.
Here is the recommended coolant.

I too have developed a strange coolant leak. It is right under the coolant reservoir BUT the reservoir shows full, actually a little over full. I have never added any but I have wiped up coolant at least three times. How could I be leaking but the reservoir never drop?
Coolant_leak.JPG
My plan is to hopefully hold out until the new battery. My assumption is if I can't detect a change in the reservoir then it is relatively minor and not in need of servicing. I have closely looked at the reservoir and can detect any cracks or leakage except from possibly from the overflow tube.

I too have developed a strange coolant leak. It is right under the coolant reservoir BUT the reservoir shows full, actually a little over full. I have never added any but I have wiped up coolant at least three times. How could I be leaking but the reservoir never drop?

Perhaps not a leak, but overflow. I believe the overflow port is there. I've had this happen once.

While I continue to leak the coolant level is holding up well. But I notice when the pump is going most of the liquid is actually a frothy foam. I wonder if the coolant has a life and maybe some anti-foaming agent has degraded. As the pressure build with the foam some leaks out. The Roadster is 6.5 years old now. Have most 1.5 Roadster owners changed the coolant? On my gas cars the coolant is normally good for 100,000 miles now.

Thanks. My Ranger said to stay with the Peak Sierra too just to be safe. Recommended distilled water for cutting (and for topping off if the Sierra isn't on hand). Pretty foamy so I'm thinking that I'm at least due for a flush during my annual servicing. Took less than 6oz to hit the max line so if I have a leak it's very slow. My guess is occasional overflow.