Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to recharge for vampire loss through app without unplugging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
This is undoubtedly a lazy man's question, as the simple work-around is go out, unplug the car, and start charging it again. But I'm interested in knowing if there is a way to accomplish what I'm trying to "the lazy way" and if it's even a good idea, or if, for some reason, it may be bad for the battery to do this.

I charged my P85D to 90% a couple of days ago, and haven't driven the car since. I have left it plugged in. The range showed as 225 at the time, and is now down to 218, due to vampire loss, etc. Checking the mobile app, I am unable to start a charge, as the mobile app indicates, "charging complete." I realize I could set the charge point to 95% or 100% and start charging, but I don't want to do that. I also could probably "trick" the car, by setting a higher charge point, start the car charging, and then immediately setting it back to 90%. I don't really want to do that either, as I'm not sure what the possible ramifications of that may be.

I guess my questions boil down to two things:

1) Is there a safe way to replace this vampire loss without physically unplugging the car and plugging it back in, preferably by using the app alone?

2) Would it be better --NOT-- to replace this vampire loss, and is that the reason the app is not allowing me to do it, in which case I also should not unplug and charge the car?

This is not an issue for my next use of the car, but it may be an issue in the future, for some other trip, so I thought it made sense to ask.

Thanks.

If the car is parked and plugged in, it will charge a bit every 2 days to top-off from the vampire loss. I've noticed that when its been parked and plugged in while on vacation...

this used to be a much bigger problem -- when I first got my car, it would lose 7-8 miles per day while parked. But sleep mode helps minimize it to 1-2 per day and often nothing if left unplugged overnight...

If the car is parked and plugged in, it will charge a bit every 2 days to top-off from the vampire loss. I've noticed that when its been parked and plugged in while on vacation...

this used to be a much bigger problem -- when I first got my car, it would lose 7-8 miles per day while parked. But sleep mode helps minimize it to 1-2 per day and often nothing if left unplugged overnight...

It hasn't done this yet, but perhaps it has not yet been 48 hours. It won't be 48 hours this time, so I won't get to test that this time.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

If you change the daily range, you can reinitiate charging. E.g. 90% daily charge, vampire drain a few miles, temporarily bump it up to 100% and it will start charging again, then quickly lower it back to 90%.

Yes, I posed that as a possibility, but said I didn't want to go that route because I didn't know what potentially negative ramifications it might have. For example, people have talked about getting warning messages when they have set the charge level above 90% but don't actually use much range. I wouldn't want to trigger these warnings, or some other potential issue I may not be aware of just to top off a charge that I could just almost as easily handle another way.

Other point is that the actual range (state of charge) at the top is very inaccurate. Your car could show 265 miles for the first 10 miles, or it could drop from 265 down to 260 miles after just a mile of actual driving.

It's easy to use the App. Just up the set point a bit and it will start charging. The typical reason for this is to warm the battery.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think you may need the difference between 218 miles and 225 miles then you are cutting it too close and should be doing a range charge anyway.

And this as well.

If you think you may need the difference between 218 miles and 225 miles then you are cutting it too close and should be doing a range charge anyway.

Definitely agree with this. Or, charge to something like 93 or 94%. Going above 90%--especially for a relatively brief time (time your charging to finish not too long before your departure) is not a big deal. If you do, you'll be back to 90% within 10-15 minutes of driving.

But to answer the question directly, yes--just crank up the charge limit until the car says "Charging" (takes about 10 seconds). Then switch it back to 90%. Even if you're 7 miles low, the car's not going to get to 90% that quickly--you'll have plenty of time to set it back to 90%.

It'd be nice if there were simply a "Start Charging" button even when the car's just a little below the charge limit, but for one reason or another Tesla decided that wasn't the way to go.

Thanks very much for the answers, everyone.

It was more of a "is there a better way than the obvious way to do this" type of question than anything else. I appreciate the answers, and knowing that I'm not going to do any harm by forcing a charge to start by temporarily kicking up the charge threshold. And yes, I understand that if that small a range difference would really matter I should be range-charging anyway. As I said, it was really kind of a theoretical question, just to know if there was a better way.

Thanks!