Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No . . . Tesla does not appear to have a planned supercharger anywhere near Benson, Arizona on any map that they have released to the public, but many in the Arizona Tesla community believe that it’s absolutely necessary. We currently have a Supercharger in Casa Grande and there appears to be a planned location around Lordsburg, NM scheduled to open during 2015. The distance between the two locations is about 222 miles - doable in a car with the 85kWh battery, but not in a 60. Tesla’s southern route from California to Florida via Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and Mississippi falls apart without a Supercharger near Benson or Wilcox, Arizona.

A charging option near Benson is essential to make the southern route viable. Such a location would also open up travel for Arizona owners interested in Tombstone, Sierra Vista, Bisbee, Douglas, and Kartchner Caverns.
th.jpeg
ps.jpeg
cv.jpeg

Benson or Willcox would definitely make my life easier, as I do business in southern Arizona and have to drive south and east of Tucson on day trips a couple of times a year. There are charging options in the area, but a supercharger would be ideal. Has anyone contacted [email protected] about this?

Am seconding the destination of Portal as a magnificent and desired place for which a Benson Supercharger is a necessity. The Chiricahua Mountains - and Chiricahua Nat'l Moument - are a geologic masterpiece and the "sky island" biome of these high peaks are one of this continent's irreplaceable natural treasures.

Am seconding the destination of Portal as a magnificent and desired place for which a Benson Supercharger is a necessity. The Chiricahua Mountains - and Chiricahua Nat'l Moument - are a geologic masterpiece and the "sky island" biome of these high peaks are one of this continent's irreplaceable natural treasures.

As a birder, I hope that superchargers will be in place to provide unfettered access to the Chiricahuas, Huachucas, Madera Canyon, Patagonia, and even California Gulch by the time I get my Model III!

+1

SE AZ needs some Supercharger love too...
I'm a bit worried about you, Matt. If you try to make love to a supercharger, you may get more than you bargained for.

- - - Updated - - -

If everyone sends e-mails to [email protected] and/or [email protected], they start getting the message.

Talking about it here is just preaching to the choir.
While I have every faith that the folks at Tesla follow TMC, I have written to [email protected] and encourage everyone else to do the same.

I just finished a 4000+ mile journey in my old ICE Tahoe because no convenient Supercharger route was available for my long holiday trip- Tucson-Indianapolis-Galveston-Tucson.

The only superchargers along the my entire trip were Indianapolis and Columbus TX. I stopped at Columbus Saturday, just to admire it and went in to thank the Comfort Inn host hotel for having it! I'll post elsewhere for the route to Indianapolis from Tucson but suffice it to say along I-10 to Houston we need a Supercharger in Benson AZ, Lordsburg NM, and in Texas: El Paso, Van Horn, Ft Stockton,, Ozona, and Kerrville along I-10 before you get to the Columbus Supercharger.

And, due to the poor weather, I got to experience Gas Anxiety in Ft Stockton yesterday- All of the gas stations ran out of Gas, because of the bad weather preventing their tanker deliveries. I had used all my gas fighting a headwind from San Antonio and got to Ft Stockton with less than 1 gallon left in the tank! I had no idea that all the stations were out of gas when I pulled in. Luckily, the tanker arrived before long and I was able to fill up- but I think Gas Anxiety is worse than Range Anxiety...

As a birder, I hope that superchargers will be in place to provide unfettered access to the Chiricahuas, Huachucas, Madera Canyon, Patagonia, and even California Gulch by the time I get my Model III!

Heh heh. Let me know how far up, say, French Joe Canyon you make it with a Model S. I left parts...umm, many, many parts....of an F-250 there back in '99 or 2000. But I did see the Rufous-capped warblers there.

Just in case Tesla IS monitoring TMC.....I concur thatSE Arizona needing a supercharger, and Benson would suit me just fine! ( have a client there....and take my ICE currently. And the sightseeing down there is great too, like has already been stated.

We need the I-10 corridor to Houston completed too! Just for grins, I mapped out a trip from Phoenix to Houston via the few superchargers there are on the way (i.e. up thru Holbrook and down thru Dallas) - it was laughable.

I emailed Supercharger@Tesla about a year ago suggesting Benson as a halfway point between Casa Grande and Lordsburg, opens up much of SE Arizona, etc.

I think we also need one in Globe (opens access to the White Mountains to both PHX and TUS owners,many of whom may have seasonal cabins in that area).

And one in Page. Opens up southern Utah and the north rim of the Grand Canyon to those who prefer not to detour to or through Lost Wages -- or New Mexico. Saves many hours of driving, and hey! there ought to be enough power available in Page :)

I emailed Supercharger@Tesla about a year ago suggesting Benson as a halfway point between Casa Grande and Lordsburg, opens up much of SE Arizona, etc.

I think we also need one in Globe (opens access to the White Mountains to both PHX and TUS owners,many of whom may have seasonal cabins in that area).

And one in Page. Opens up southern Utah and the north rim of the Grand Canyon to those who prefer not to detour to or through Lost Wages -- or New Mexico. Saves many hours of driving, and hey! there ought to be enough power available in Page :)

This is my new favorite post on TMC. These three locations are the ones I most want Superchargers at (except I'd rather see Jacob Lake than Page, but understand Page is a much more realistic choice).

I like to call it Lost Wages.

With a SpC at Benson, not only is Kartchner Caverns right around the corner but, once the Lordsburg, NM charger also is on, one safely could get to and through the Chiricahuas with ease (via Pinery Canyon Rd, up over Onion Saddle to Portal). Here's hoping that's so by next winter!!!!! Given the conditions of the road, though, mebbe mo betta wait for the Model X.....

With a SpC at Benson, not only is Kartchner Caverns right around the corner but, once the Lordsburg, NM charger also is on, one safely could get to and through the Chiricahuas with ease (via Pinery Canyon Rd, up over Onion Saddle to Portal). Here's hoping that's so by next winter!!!!! Given the conditions of the road, though, mebbe mo betta wait for the Model X.....
Check the SpC map for 2016 in NM Audie. Looks like Lordsburg lost it's standing as a SpC venue and the SpC is now closer to Deming. Seems like a dumb move.

Last edited:
I checked for plans/permits with the city of Benson AZ. They DO NOT have any plans/permits as of today 7/26/2015. They'd love to have a supercharger in Benson AZ but nothing so far. Let's hope later this year as I-10 supercharging buildout gets further along. There are a few great locations right off I-10 that would work very well, easy on/off freeway and food services nearby etc. if I hear anything I'll post ASAP.

Last edited:
Page and the two GC rims would be really welcome. I'd like to see all national parks with SC installations - makes sense doesn't it?
I also go to Portal a lot, but I'm not sure I'd bring the Model S there as many roads can be primitive.
Nevertheless, Benson is a must. Going from Benson to Dallas in a Model S is really not practical unless you like to take lots of 30 min breaks.
Driving 85 mph is a must, but then the range goes below 200 miles. So Every 2 hrs, you need a 30-40 minute break. Better have dual chargers even with a SC network.
That trip would be practical with 200 KWHr batteries in my opinion.