Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uber Luxury Qualified

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I signed up my Model S on Uber. My original intent was to do it as a gag and/or way of spreading awareness of EVs. But when I went in for the inspection the staff at Uber told me that my car qualified for Uber Luxury. At first they weren’t sure because they had “never seen a Model S come in for inspection.” But after taking a few pictures they came back and said it qualified for UberLUX. That's their highest offering. Higher then UberBlack which is there black car limo service.

I didn’t really care what it qualified for as I was just doing it for the fun and not the money. But when I sat down and did the math I was a little surprised. The minimum fare for UberLUX is $30, and if you drive someone a messily 5 miles its $48. 10 miles and its $76. 15 miles and its $104… Granted Uber will take a 20% cut, but that’s not bad.

I did some reading too, and the typical UberLUX passengers are people heading to fancy events where they need to pull up in a fancy car. The only complaint that I could find from UberLUX drivers was that the customers can be a little snobby. But they’re not the “I’m drunk out of my mind and will probably blow chunks in your back seat” type of people.

Regardless, I’m still debating if I’m going to do it or not. I have to get special commercial insurance if I’m going to do it and that might be too much work. I’m only thinking about doing it once or twice on a weekend where I have nothing better to do, and I almost always have something better to do. So we’ll see… but I thought id share what I found out since no one else has posted about it

I know a couple of Uber drivers. Some of those guys do quite well, clearing over $100K per year in decent size cities after Uber's cut. You'll probably get fewer fares under UberLUX, but hopefully, as one of my friends says, you'll also avoid the kind of person he gets during the "puke hours". Yikes.

I know a couple of Uber drivers. Some of those guys do quite well, clearing over $100K per year in decent size cities after Uber's cut. You'll probably get fewer fares under UberLUX, but hopefully, as one of my friends says, you'll also avoid the kind of person he gets during the "puke hours". Yikes.

I don't think I'm actually going to do it because of the special insurance that's required. You have to get separate commercial insurance otherwise you risk being personally liable for everything. That and your current auto insurance company can actually cancel your policy if they find out you don't have it. But I could see how a Model S driver could do really well.

At the inspection they told me that they'll route you UberPlus calls when there are no UberLUX fares to be had.

Would you be protected if you set up an LLC and carried umbrella insurance? I would carefully check into the question of how your current insurance carrier would react. Could meet some interesting people and go interesting places.

Won't your commercial insurance make it unaffordable to just do this once or twice on a weekend?

That's why I'm probably not going to do it. Unless its stupid cheap like an additional $20 a month I wont do it. But we'll see. Ill call my insurance company tomorrow

- - - Updated - - -

Would you be protected if you set up an LLC and carried umbrella insurance? I would carefully check into the question of how your current insurance carrier would react. Could meet some interesting people and go interesting places.

If I was going to quit my job and do this then I would definitely setup an LLC or S Corp. I just want to do it to see the looks on peoples faces and share a little knowledge about the car.

I already read a little bit about insurance companies reactions, and it seems to be a universal NO. If you drive for Uber your policy with either not cover you or they will cancel your policy out right. That's why you have to get a commercial insurance umbrella. Normal car insurance companies will not cover you at all if you drive for Uber or any other TNC.

So unless the commercial insurance is cheap and/or my insurance company says its ok, I'm not going to do it. It wont be worth the hassle. But if someone wanted to do it full time id imagine they'd do quite well.

Yeah, the guys I know do it under an LLC.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think I'm actually going to do it because of the special insurance that's required. You have to get separate commercial insurance otherwise you risk being personally liable for everything. That and your current auto insurance company can actually cancel your policy if they find out you don't have it. But I could see how a Model S driver could do really well.

At the inspection they told me that they'll route you UberPlus calls when there are no UberLUX fares to be had.
Nice that they route you to UberPlus.

Yeah, setting all that up could be a pain. But if you hate your day job or want more income, I hear this is a fairly nice way to do it. Just don't park it unattended with the Uber license showing near any taxi drivers!

That's why I'm probably not going to do it. Unless its stupid cheap like an additional $20 a month I wont do it. But we'll see. Ill call my insurance company tomorrow

No, it isn't a universal NO. All the people complaining about it may have all gotten a "no", but then that is 100% of people with issues, not 100% of drivers.

I drove for a while, met some really cool people, got some really interesting reactions from some, and others that didn't notice.
Your insurance company, most likely, won't cover you while you have a fare. My understanding is Uber's insurance covers you during that time. Some insurance companies will cover you while you are "on duty" but have no fare, while others won't.
Uber states that IF your own insurance won't cover it, theirs will.

It is a big gray area and I would recommend highly reading the Uber insurance policy carefully and talking carefully with your own insurance company.
I didn't enjoy driving downtown, which is where most of the activity is. Which is why I stopped.
The tax deduction for mileage really makes driving an EV for Uber a money maker.

I was looking into it to shuttle cruise people between our 2 airports and 2 cruise terminals. Didn't know the S qualified for Uber Luxury, didn't even know there was such a category!
Now, in Houston there's an additional TNC Permit needed, and not a quick process (notaries and fingerprints are involved!)...

Last edited:
Just Used my Model S for Uber

So I signed up to be an Uber driver last week and on my way home tonight I finally turned on the app. I signed up thinking it would be fun and it was! I picked up a nice family from Australia and I think I had just as much fun as they did, lol.

They had just finished eating dinner and needed a ride back to their hotel. When I pulled up they couldn't believe I was their ride. They were taking pictures and asking all kinds of questions. It was a lot of fun!

I answer questions about my car all the time only this time I got paid to do it! lol

I'll definitely do it again when I have an hour or two to kill :D

Sounds great. Uber is banned in BC. The taxi union is too strong and holds us all hostage with outrageous fees and price fixing among companies. Then they refuse to drive people from downtown to the suburbs on busy weekend nights because they lose money driving back. It's a joke and no one does anything about it except the press with undercover cameras since the taxi companies deny this but then get caught on camera. But the government does nothing except enact legislation that prohibits Uber. I really wish we were more in support of free enterprise like the States.

How much did you make?

I made $11.27 for driving 1.04 miles in 7:03 minutes (yes it takes that long to go a mile in LA hahaha)

Did you end up getting any additional insurance?

Chipper's right, I asked Uber and they'll cover the insurance until you drop off the fare. So to make sure I'm covered at all times I'm just going to turn off the app after I complete a trip and turn it back on when I'm parked somewhere safe. I think its safer that way anyway. When the app went off that someone needed a ride it was very distracting. Maybe it was because it was my first time, but I definitely fumbled around for a few seconds while I tried to get my baring's. It felt distracting enough that I had to pull over so that I could focus on what I needed to do. Next time ill be parked somewhere before I turn it on

From the time you started thinking about doing this, how much time and expense did it take for you to get fully registered, and have you found the information Uber provided reliable and accurate?

It didn't take long. Maybe a half hour. The longest part was the inspection and that went quick because I happened to be in Santa Monica and just down the street from where they were doing the inspections. So I didn't have to drive out of the way or anything to get my car inspected.

Everything they told me checked out, yea