Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging rate data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to ensure that my car would work with the supercharger network. I have read that some people could not use the network despite paying for access. I am traveling to Los Angeles this month so it was a good excuse to take a road trip and gather some data. I did not use any climate control, but did have the seat heater set at level 2. I was the only car there when I arrived at the Casa Grande supercharger, but was joined by another Model S about 10 minutes into charging. The other Tesla was metallic brown and I was surprised how much I liked the color! No change in charging rate when the other car started charging.

Rated miles left upon arrival: 87
Rated miles kW/hr delivered Volts/amps
6:44am: 87 102 369/275
6:50am: 120 86
6:55am: 140 74
7:00am: 156 64
7:05am: 172 56
7:10am: 186 50
7:14am: 196 46 394/116

109 miles added in 30 minutes. Not bad, but not quite what the Tesla website indicates. Certainly enough to get you to the next supercharger though

1. Do you have an A battery? A batteries are limited in the amount of charge.
2. As the battery fills, the charging rate goes down. Starting at 87 doesn't give the same rate as starting at 50.

SoC mean "state of charge". The lower the SoC, the higher the charge rate (kilowatts) the battery can accommodate.

See the graph halfway down the page here: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Notice the state of charge tapers as it approaches 100%. Tesla's "half a charge is as little as 20 minutes" claim is based on starting at 0% (or as near to 0% as the car will let you get). The top 50% of the battery takes substantially longer. (And the top 10% is very slow!) You charged somewhere in the middle, so it was still pretty fast, but not optimally fast.

So, to optimize charge time, you should only charge as much as you need, so you arrive at the next supercharger nearly empty. Of course, it would be unwise to not leave a buffer, I don't recommend taking this to the extreme.

1. Do you have an A battery? A batteries are limited in the amount of charge.2. As the battery fills, the charging rate goes down. Starting at 87 doesn't give the same rate as starting at 50.
The car is a P85D so I believe it is an E battery but I need to confirm. You are correct that the higher the SoC the lower the charge rate. I'm posing this just as an example of what one can expect.

Thanks.
SoC mean "state of charge". The lower the SoC, the higher the charge rate (kilowatts) the battery can accommodate.

See the graph halfway down the page here: Supercharger | Tesla Motors

Notice the state of charge tapers as it approaches 100%. Tesla's "half a charge is as little as 20 minutes" claim is based on starting at 0% (or as near to 0% as the car will let you get). The top 50% of the battery takes substantially longer. (And the top 10% is very slow!) You charged somewhere in the middle, so it was still pretty fast, but not optimally fast.

So, to optimize charge time, you should only charge as much as you need, so you arrive at the next supercharger nearly empty. Of course, it would be unwise to not leave a buffer, I don't recommend taking this to the extreme.

The car is a P85D so I believe it is an E battery but I need to confirm. You are correct that the higher the SoC the lower the charge rate. I'm posing this just as an example of what one can expect.

For sure, the P85D won't have a A battery, I missed that in the original post.

Temperature of the battery and the starting level of charge are the main factors. Practically i've found it impossible to get the charge I need in less than 30 minutes and sometimes up to 45 especially if I need extra range or things are cool.