Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I-40 — Marching Towards OKC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
Looking at the new Tesla Maps, it looks like Superchargers will start opening up I-40, heading east to OKC.

I got some info that Albuquerque, NM and Santa Rosa, NM are on the way. For those permit sleuths, start looking.

SUPERCHARGERDESTINATIONMILESSTATION STATUSCOMMENT
Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK691 I-40 as of Jan 3rd — Detailed Google Map
Gallup, NMAlbuquerque, NM140Complete Start
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Speculation Tesla 2015 Map
Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
Shamrock, TX Clinton, OK 83 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
Clinton, OK Oklahoma City, OK 83 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map
Oklahoma City, OK End 83 Speculation Tesla 2015 Map

For the rest of the locations on this route, there are a remarkable number on the "Coming Soon" map. Keep your eyes open.

I hope these get built before I have to drive to Indianapolis again from Arizona. I just finished driving a Tahoe this route, and while I'm grateful gas prices were down, it still was painful to drive the old ICE and not my Tesla... On my holiday drive from Tucson-Indianapolis-Galveston-Tucson, I was near exactly 2 superchargers- Indianapolis and Columbus Texas!

Here is an update from the "leaked" maps at Supercharger growth - Page 14

I put a stretched version of that over a Google Maps screen shot. If you believe the "Leak" maps, then I-40 to OKC is coming in 2015.

I-40-3.jpg

From that, here is the corrected table.

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of Jan 3rd — Detailed Google Map
Gallup, NMGrants, NM58Complete Start
Grants, NMAlbuquerque, NM80Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map
Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Speculation Tesla "Coming Soon" Map — 2015 "Leak" Map
Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 "Leak" Map

FWIW, I've checked with Albuquerque and Amarillo, and no permit has been requested in ABQ. In Amarillo, I won't get a notice until the permit is issued, and so far none has been issued.

For the permit sleuths elsewhere, and to focus the search for my helpers, who has been the contractor on these permits? Do they list as new construction, or renovation? And do they list the work as a 'utility', a retail establishment, or an office, or what ?

Also, I've asked around Shamrock, TX. The people I checked with said they hadn't heard anything, and it's such a small town it would probably be on the front page of their weekly county newspaper. I had hoped we'd see a charger in time for the Shamrock St. Patrick's Day festivities, but being only 6 weeks away that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
A permit appeared for Tucumcari, New Mexico at supercharge.info this morning. The site is the Holiday Inn Express at 2624 South Adams Street. I haven't found it mentioned in any thread here or at the TM forum.

OK, Tucumcari isn't on the 'Coming Soon' list, and has already a building permit? Do we have confirmation on this?

I checked on Amarillo and Albuquerque on Friday, and nothing there.

The location chosen for Tucumcari is excellent. Very close to the I40 exit , and near multiple places to eat.

If we know when construction is started, I can make a quick trip out there to take a preview look. It would be a 214 mi round trip , so quite doable.

OK, Tucumcari isn't on the 'Coming Soon' list, and has already a building permit? Do we have confirmation on this?

I checked on Amarillo and Albuquerque on Friday, and nothing there.

The location chosen for Tucumcari is excellent. Very close to the I40 exit , and near multiple places to eat.

If we know when construction is started, I can make a quick trip out there to take a preview look. It would be a 214 mi round trip , so quite doable.

Sometimes, the best way to get info is to call the host site, here the Holiday Inn Express. I have found the desk staff and managers wonderful sources of info.

Sometimes, the best way to get info is to call the host site, here the Holiday Inn Express. I have found the desk staff and managers wonderful sources of info.
My father will be driving ABQ -> STL next weekend (2/15). I am going to ask him to stop and take pics of the expected Tucumcari location (even if there is no construction). But agreed, calling the host location is always good as I am sure the inquiries will also positively reinforce their decision to host the supercharger.

Just heard that the City of Shamrock approved a lease for the supercharger. The actual lease was approved in mid November, so it appears to be at a city owned or controlled site. I've reached out to friends in Shamrock to get an exact location, and to see if it has started.

Just heard that the City of Shamrock approved a lease for the supercharger. The actual lease was approved in mid November, so it appears to be at a city owned or controlled site. I've reached out to friends in Shamrock to get an exact location, and to see if it has started.

I did a little googling and found this from the October 30th edition of the local newspaper:

Shamrock Economic Development Corporation Director Larry Clonts reported to thecouncil automaker TESLA is in discussions with the EDC for an electric charging station for its vehicles in Shamrock. TESLA is placing charging stations all over the United States so its drivers may re-charge their vehicles which run solely on electricity. Clonts said TESLA would like to make Historic Route 66 the first “Electric Highway.” One possible location for an electric charging station would be close to the U-Drop Inn.

The website for the Shamrock Economic Development Corporation is here, and it has a big button labeled "Contact Larry Clonts". reddy, do you want to call him up Monday morning?

I did a little googling and found this from the October 30th edition of the local newspaper:

The website for the Shamrock Economic Development Corporation is here, and it has a big button labeled "Contact Larry Clonts". reddy, do you want to call him up Monday morning?

I contacted them over the weekend. Here is the reply:

"From: Erica B <snipped>
Date: February 9, 2015 at 3:55:15 AM CST
To: reddy
Subject: Shamrock EDC: Tesla supercharger site
William, this e-mail got re-routed to me by mistake, but Larry responded to you earlier today, so I wanted to forward his response to you while I fix our e-mail system. We’re so excited for this amazing addition at the U-Drop Inn!

Thanks,
Erica aka the Web Designer"

"Construction is in the process right now & yes, it is scheduled to be operational by St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks"

Last edited:
I contacted them over the weekend. Here is the reply:

"From: Erica B <snipped>
Date: February 9, 2015 at 3:55:15 AM CST
To: reddy
Subject: Shamrock EDC: Tesla supercharger site
William, this e-mail got re-routed to me by mistake, but Larry responded to you earlier today, so I wanted to forward his response to you while I fix our e-mail system. We’re so excited for this amazing addition at the U-Drop Inn!

Thanks,
Erica aka the Web Designer"

"Construction is in the process right now & yes, it is scheduled to be operational by St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks"
WOW! This is great news. We are making our second trip from Bella Vista, AR to Phoenix via I-40 and will be passing Shamrock on March 15th... perhaps a day or two too early for supercharging. We hope it's operational on our return trip. Looks like we will have to stop at the Amarillo B&B again for an over night stay.

Now if Tucumcari would be operational on our return trip we could really make up some time. Thanks for the info Reddy!

Last edited:
WOW! This is great news. We are making our second trip from Bella Vista, AR to Phoenix via I-40 and will be passing Shamrock on March 15th... perhaps a day or two too early for supercharging. We hope it's operational on our return trip. Looks like we will have to stop at the Amarillo B&B again for an over night stay.

Now if Tucumcari would be operational on our return trip we could really make up some time. Thanks for the info Reddy!

Actually this year's St Patrick's Day celebration is on Saturday, March 14. And assuming they have it done BEFORE that , you may be in luck on both legs of your trip.

Updated Table:

Gallup, NMOklahoma, OK693 I-40 as of Feb 18th — Gallup, NM to Oklahoma City, OK - Google Maps
Gallup, NMGrants, NM58Complete Start
Grants, NMAlbuquerque, NM80Speculation 2015 Map
Albuquerque, NM Santa Rosa, NM 114 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map — Applebee's
Santa Rosa, NM Tucumcari, NM 59 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map — Holiday Inn Express
Tucumcari, NM Amarillo, TX 115 Permit Supercharger - Tucumcari, NM — Holiday Inn Express
Amarillo, TX Shamrock, TX 96 Speculation Tesla "Opening Soon" Map
Shamrock, TX Weatherford, OK 96 Construction Shamrock Texas Supercharger at Route 66 iconU-Drop Inn - Wikipedia
Weatherford, OK Oklahoma City, OK 70 Pre-permit Reliable Source — Tesla "Opening Soon" Map
Oklahoma City, OK End Speculation 2015 Map

There are 10 Applebee's in Albuquerque - do you know which one?

Do you specifically know that Santa Rosa is pre-permit? Since a contractor reported that they were going there, could it be under construction already?

Sorry, no more info than the table, Applebee's Ambiguity... If you find out anything more about Santa Rosa, please report it here.

Texans will have multiple ways off the island soon!