Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't get it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
This is so annoying. There were 4 charging spaces blocked by people who can't read.

Attachments

• 20141227_160817.jpg
    20141227_160817.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,474
The problem is the signage. It just doesn't look official. If it's not official looking most people will ignore it. Even if it's official looking there will still be a few jerks, but having a non-official looking sign is just asking for it.

I think if the signage states a potential of fine or the car being "towed at owner's expense", then people will not park there. I'm seeing this happen more often and with more Teslas on the road, the stations are already overcrowding in some places. Non-Teslas taking up these spaces make it a lot worse.

From Cabazon this afternoon, segregated by color!

Cabazon.jpg

I was reading a book while charging, it was funny watching everyone drive by, slow down/stop and stare like these were spaceships or something.

Last edited:
This is so annoying. There were 4 charging spaces blocked by people who can't read.
What am I missing? The photo does not fit your text? Where is there evidence of ICE'ng?
Do you work for a newspaper? I thought only "reporters" started threads with ambiguous headings like "I don't get it" while not giving anyone a hint as to its content.

From Cabazon this afternoon, segregated by color!

View attachment 67955

I was reading a book while charging, it was funny watching everyone drive by, slow down/stop and stare like these were spaceships or something.

I don't know that I've ever seen a supercharger ICE'd when they are mounted in this "pull straight in" configuration. I realize that "back in" configuration is often more practical, especially for snow removal, but the "front in" style seems to do a far better job at preventing ICE'ing.

"What am I missing? The photo does not fit your text? Where is there evidence of ICE'ng?
Do you work for a newspaper? I thought only "reporters" started threads with ambiguous headings like "I don't get it" while not giving anyone a hint as to its content." -GreenT

The first car in the picture is an ICE...doesn't seem ambiguous to me.

roby, that would work, if local laws allow such. At least here in CT, the signs don't say "Your car will be towed". So you can't legally haul away someone's car. All you can do is call Tesla and they in turn call the property owners.

Did you call Tesla?

From http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do?

Many Supercharger sites are outfitted with ‘dedicated’ stalls (meant only for Tesla vehicles) and a few ‘enabled’ stalls (which allow for time-restricted general parking). Please be aware of stall signage. If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752 (international phone numbers).

Did you call Tesla?

From http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

A non-Tesla car is parked in a dedicated Supercharger stall, what should I do?

Many Supercharger sites are outfitted with ‘dedicated’ stalls (meant only for Tesla vehicles) and a few ‘enabled’ stalls (which allow for time-restricted general parking). Please be aware of stall signage. If a non-Tesla vehicle is blocking a ‘dedicated’ Supercharger stall, please notify Tesla at (877) 798-3752 (international phone numbers).

But what has Tesla ever done when contacted about ICEing? It's out of their control. The best they can do is ask the property owner to do something, and I doubt that will make much difference.

But what has Tesla ever done when contacted about ICEing? It's out of their control. The best they can do is ask the property owner to do something, and I doubt that will make much difference.

They can't do anything about it in the short term other than call the property owner. Long term they can identify the locations that have problems, change signage (this has been done), add new stalls (They've done this), or add a new nearby location (no evidence they've done this other than for volume).

I used the Huntsville SC three times this weekend, not one ICE was seen taking a space. I've been there on full-parking-lot college football weekends and no ICEing then either.
They do have the extra sign:
View attachment 67973
View attachment 67974
Why does Tesla not have this sign on all supercharger locations, this is the first sign I have seen like this on any of the supercharger locations I have visited in California.

Why does Tesla not have this sign on all supercharger locations, this is the first sign I have seen like this on any of the supercharger locations I have visited in California.

Because Tesla makes individual agreements with the property owners. I suspect many are reluctant to annoy their non-Tesla customers and believe that the Tesla SCs won't be used very often.

Huntsville didn't have the tow signs when it first opened and they were 100% ICEd frequently.

Actually now that I think about it, I think the property owners are the ones who can put those signs up, if they choose too. I don't believe local laws have anything to do with it. Technically it is "private" property. If you are not on the property to buy something, then the property owners can have your car removed. So, I think it is up to the property owners whether they place these "your car will be towed" signs. So it comes down to the agreement Tesla has with the property owners.