Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Superchargers Springfield Illinois

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been taken to task for promoting my own content here previously. I won't go into how funny I found the warning - considering I've had a site much longer than this one etc. Either way won't post a direct link.

Anyone interested in seeing progress of Superchargers being built in Springfield Illinois can have a look at video on my site. I saw a build permit a month ago for electric charging station in local newspaper. Took a month before we got to location to check it out. I figured it would be Level 2 charging. Imagine my surprise when we pulled around and I saw Tesla units.

8 units setup ( 4 more than what are online in Normal IL currently ) - looks like things should come online fairly soon. No solar canopy - would be nice if that was added. Springfield has a city owned coal plant that supplies our power needs. Although some businesses and home owners have done solar installs past couple of years. State, Federal incentives and panel prices being more affordable.

Location is off I-72 at exit 96 Scheels parking lot. Several restaurant options - more development coming soon. Chargers just a few miles down from I-55.

Location is off I-72 at exit 96 Scheels parking lot. Several restaurant options - more development coming soon. Chargers just a few miles down from I-55.

I assume that this is the location that you are talking about, Sheels - Springfield, IL - Google Maps. This will be a very nice location for breaking up the distance from St Louis to Normal, IL.

Springfield-IL.jpg

Thanks for the info. Please post some pictures here.

Is this the building permit in question? (Springfield Illinois building permits lookup)

Permit Number: BP-14-3053
Permit Type: Building
Start Date: 12/8/2014 12:00:00 AM
Active
Description:
Remodel, Install Electrical Vehicle Charging Station, 1109 Lincolnshire
Property Owner:
Legacy Pointe Properties
Contractor Name:
Heights Tower Service
Work Address: 1109 Lincolnshire
Unit:
Address 2:
City/State/Zip: Springfield IL 62703

Permit Number: EP-14-1213
Permit Type: Electrical
Start Date: 12/18/2014 12:00:00 AM
Description: New Commercial, Install Electrical Vehicle Charging Station, 1109 Lincolnshire/ 2000 amp service and penalty fee to General contractor for doing electric work without license or permit
Property Owner: Legacy Pointe Properties
Contractor Name: Carmean Electric
Work Address: 1109 Lincolnshire
Unit:
Address 2:
City/State/Zip: Springfield IL 62703

Interesting... 1109 Lincolnshire is in a residential neighborhood close to, but not at Sheels. 2000A service is the max capacity of the Distribution Panel Bus bars, but 2000A at 480V is 1.66 kVA service. That is enough for a 20 bay Supercharger. I bet it won't be that big. My guess is 8-12 stalls.

Scheels to 1109 Lincolnshire Blvd, Springfield, IL 62704 - Google Maps

I noticed where Google Maps put that address as well, but I think it is (gasp) wrong. 1121 Lincolnshire was the address of the Quaker Steak & Lube (which apparently closed a few months ago) near Scheel's, and of course the residential area that Google Maps flagged would be a pretty silly place to put an electric vehicle charger, so that's what led me to believe the permit activity I found was the one in question. Has Carmean Electric done any other superchargers? We should keep track of the contractors who work on jobs because using the contractor name is good way to find new sites through permit searches.

Meijer's is at the next exit west, which is more Tesla-centric than that sporting goods store. Gets my vote!

Re permit applications: Isn't it all about 'location, location, location'??

This is right on my Express Run Across Middle America: :wink:

Topeka.KS>Lafayette.IN.jpg

--

I noticed where Google Maps put that address as well, but I think it is (gasp) wrong. 1121 Lincolnshire was the address of the Quaker Steak & Lube (which apparently closed a few months ago) near Scheel's, and of course the residential area that Google Maps flagged would be a pretty silly place to put an electric vehicle charger, so that's what led me to believe the permit activity I found was the one in question. Has Carmean Electric done any other superchargers? We should keep track of the contractors who work on jobs because using the contractor name is good way to find new sites through permit searches.

Yes, Google Maps is wrong. The video evidence is very clear. There are eight charging pedestals in the parking lot of Scheels. They look to be fully wired with protective clear plastic covers over them. All of the electrical equipment, including the transformer is in place, and there are several pallets of concrete block and decorative stone setting there, presumably for building the enclosure around the equipment. This site could easily open "soon".

Thanks Iggy.

Now...where will the Saint Louis location be?

Word is:
Dierbergs Markets

Address: 2021 Zumbehl Road, St. Charles, MO 63303

- - - Updated - - -

Iggy - thanks for the info for sure. I'm as surprised as you you mentioned here about a SuperCharger going in with basically zero information being posted. AND almost being finished. Plenty of enthusiasts and owners wanting in on surprises - especially as it helps the roll out of long-distance travel.

Iggy is obviously being careful about not earning a TMC infraction (and I'll stay out of it by not linking to his video), but if one were to google <tesla supercharger springfield illinois iggy> one would find his Springfield supercharger post and video.

Last edited:
My thought's exactly. People coming from Indy to St. Louis may need the effingham one. If they go to Peoria. I think Mt vernon is getting one though.

I have a spot for the supercharger to be installed in Paducah. My parents own a restaurant that is right off exit 3 (first exit coming from IL) and has a large parking lot. The restaurant is empty now and they are opening up in a few months. Figured it would be a good spot for it. I sent an email through the website but have not heard anything back from them.

My thought's exactly. People coming from Indy to St. Louis may need the effingham one. If they go to Peoria. I think Mt vernon is getting one though.

I have a spot for the supercharger to be installed in Paducah. My parents own a restaurant that is right off exit 3 (first exit coming from IL) and has a large parking lot. The restaurant is empty now and they are opening up in a few months. Figured it would be a good spot for it. I sent an email through the website but have not heard anything back from them.

Which one is that? I sometimes stay overnight at exits 3 or 4 on my way to Chicago.