Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Celebrating 40k on my 40k...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the intrusion... just realized I had a little milestone; 40k on my 40k.

The most trouble-free 40,000 miles I've had with any car. Thanks to all those at Tesla Motors; for getting it right the first time.

40kon40k.JPG

I am at 29,256 miles in my 40 this morning and I thought I was putting a lot of miles on mine. I am getting 135 realistic miles with a lifetime average of 290 wh/mi.
This is the first car I have ever owned where I am not worried about how many miles I am putting on the car. I am actually happy about it.

Congrats, indeed. I would be interested to hear if you regret not paying the extra for a bigger battery in retrospect?

I ordered my 60 recently and wonder, if I could, would I have still gone for the 40 as I planned to before Tesla stopped doing it. Given your 'realistic' range of 135 miles, which is nearly 3 times the realistic range of my i-Miev (at motorway speeds at least), for the rare occasion that I actually do a long trip (2 or 3 times a year - maybe more after I retire) here in the UK, 135 miles would be quite sufficient even with the current state of the UK's SC network. We have a relatively good CHAdeMO network too, of course. MW

I get 136 rated. Practically, I get about 115 with the above average speeds I drive. Fortunately, I have L2 charging at my work place. It can be limiting, though the occasions are few... there have been 5-7 times where I've rolled into the driveway with <5 miles. We take the Volt on longer trips.

I do not regret not going with a 60 or 85; it's what I could afford. There's also something a bit 'special' about having a 40... since they're relatively rare. I wish TM would give me a '40' badge... (I've asked, they won't)

I doubt I'll ever pay to uncap to the full capacity of a 60... $11,000 is too steep, and TM won't pro-rate. I can buy a used CNG for that much... or it might make more financial sense to sell the 40 and buy a used 60.

If TM would enable SuperCharging or CHAdeMO @ $2500 or without uncapping the pack @ 11k; it might be worth the consideration... or if someday they allowed 40's to pack swap up to an 85.

The charge slider will only go to 70% so this is where I charge to every day. I have no worries about the battery degrading. I do have a small worry about pack balancing but I don't know if it even matters. I have no regrets getting the 40. It has been very good for me and my wife. We can take it anywhere in the Phoenix metropolitan area without worry about range. For the 1 1/2 years that we have been driving there have only been about 5 times where we could have used more range. A couple of times we took the Jeep Patriot instead and the others we had to charge a little during the day. We would like to be able to take it out of town but Tesla will not let us use superchargers without upgrading to the 60 first. As far as I know the 40 will not allow the CHAdeMO either without upgrading. I am in complete agreement with aaron0k on it being to steep a price to upgrade (not so much on the badge:smile: ).

In a 40, I'm guessing it might be possible to fill more of the battery through regenerative braking down a mountain. In other words, if you lived on a mountain like I do, you could charge your 40 to "100%", then pick up additional charge through regen on the descent. Has anyone ever tried this?

In a 40, I'm guessing it might be possible to fill more of the battery through regenerative braking down a mountain. In other words, if you lived on a mountain like I do, you could charge your 40 to "100%", then pick up additional charge through regen on the descent. Has anyone ever tried this?

Cool thought! Or with a device that turn the wheels or on some sort of treadmills.

If it was possible then you could really talk about range charging a 40 kWh :)

The 40 owners will know this: if the car is charged to 70% (or whatever the max setting is) is regen capped???

The only time my regen has been capped is when it's been cold out.

In that case it seems kind of obvious that the regen work-around would in fact work and allow you to charge to where the 60kWh battery is full... Not sure what the point would be but it would be fun. Towing could do the trick, but I would guess all the 40kWh cars were produced quite early so that they don't in fact have the tow hook under the nose cone?
tow.JPG

Congratulations! I really like reading these high mileage stories of Tesla joy. I just turned 25K, and on my way to 100K+.
The 40/60kW make a lot of sense. I sure wish Tesla would give me an alternative to the Leaf, for a second more run-around town car.
Enjoy!

In that case it seems kind of obvious that the regen work-around would in fact work and allow you to charge to where the 60kWh battery is full... Not sure what the point would be but it would be fun.
Descending the mountain I live on, perhaps a 40 could be charged to ~80% of the 60 kWh usable capacity. Of course, regen tapers as SoC rises, so it's very, very hard to completely fill an EV battery by descending a mountain. Towing would be an interesting experiment, but I wouldn't want to chance a warranty issue if it were my car.

That said, for me the critical limitation with a 40 wouldn't be the range, it would be the lack of Supercharging. Perhaps that could be partially mitigated by having twin chargers.

I'm at 21k on my 40. Best car I've ever owned, and seeing as I couldn't afford the 60 I do not regret choosing the smallest battery. I will never pay $11k to upgrade the battery, but if they would let me I would probably pay for supercharging. Rated range is 135 miles, but I usually get from 80-110 because of my driving style of mashing the go pedal. I think my biggest complaint is that the performance drops off when I'm down under 60 miles rated remaining. This is mostly because I choose to charge at night to get off-peak pricing instead of topping it off more often.

Last weekend was my boldest trip to date; from Portland to Yale Lake near Mt. St. Helens. We charged for 45 minutes at a local gas station while we ate lunch, adding a puny 12 miles to the rated range. Got home with only 10 left!

or if someday they allowed 40's to pack swap up to an 85.

"Someday" they won't have to "allow" you to do anything. The day will come when you can take a Tesla to a non-Tesla service shop and get anything you want done to it. I look forward to the day I can take mine in and get the batteries swapped out with new (not yet in existence) cells with quadruple the capacity - and have a 600 mile range car. It will happen. We just have to live long enough. For the moment I am just looking forward to the Falcon 9 returning from space and landing on a landing pad in the ocean tomorrow!!! AWESOME!!!! I'm a big Elon Musk fan. SpaceX and Tesla. Truly remarkable.

"Someday" they won't have to "allow" you to do anything. The day will come when you can take a Tesla to a non-Tesla service shop and get anything you want done to it. I look forward to the day I can take mine in and get the batteries swapped out with new (not yet in existence) cells with quadruple the capacity - and have a 600 mile range car. It will happen. We just have to live long enough.

I love the sarcasm (hopefully how that was intended). It will happen; at that point... no one will care.

For the moment I am just looking forward to the Falcon 9 returning from space and landing on a landing pad in the ocean tomorrow!!! AWESOME!!!! I'm a big Elon Musk fan. SpaceX and Tesla. Truly remarkable.

I agree, Elon is remarkable... as a business man; who is optically acute at aligning his passions with the teet of government subsidies. I'd rather be a sycophant for all the unsung engineers who spent their life; sacrificed their time with their families, who can't afford the cars they design and build... I'm saluting the un-remarkables, who bleed their life away; not for fame or money, but for their unglorified pride.

Here's to you iron-man suit maker!!! <said in the tone of the real-men of genius adverts>