Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do superchargers power the car after charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a weird question. Don't block the SC longer than necessary, in fact only charge to 100% if you're sure no-one is waiting to charge.

If you need 100% to arrive safely at your next destination, you should charge to 100%. Otherwise, you shouldn't hog the space.

As I recall (it's been awhile), I believe Superchargers *will* provide shore power even if not charging. I recall charging to 90% in Richmond, VA and having a little time to kill. It was chilly and I think I remember running the heat with shore power from the Supercharger. Not 100% sure--maybe 85% sure.

Only if the contactors in the High Voltage Junction Box (HVJB) remain closed and the SC is still trying to pump current.

i'm just a redneck with a library card, so this is just theoretical:

The SC station knows that you are a paid customer from your VIN, and the mothership sends a command to close the contactors in the HVJB and turn on the charger. The BMS monitors the pack voltage and temperature and incoming current to determine the state of charge, and this information gets sent back to the SC station to regulate the charger power for your car.

Once the BMS reports that the pack has reached the requested charge level, then the charger has done its job and there is no longer any need to keep it powered up or the contactors closed. But does that mean that the mothership immediately shuts everything off? Try running the heater or AC and report back your findings...

My suggestion would be to try it. Goto a SC and set a charge only 5% higher than your car is on arrival at the SC. Set it charging with you sat in the car and wait for the 5% extra SC to end and listen for the 'clunk' of the contractors. If there isn't one, and the SC has definitely finished, see if there is any power going to the car still. Try switching on some heat or something to see what happens.

Have you asked Tesla?

Cool. Interesting learning from this weekend. I left the car out overnight in <10 degree weather and put it directly on a supercharger in the morning. It sat there for at least 20 minutes not charging and when it finally got going it was very slow (like 5 amps). I'm guessing it was heating up the battery.

I can say with 100% certainty that they do. Will post about our 1500 mile round trip adventure soon....

Only if the contactors in the High Voltage Junction Box (HVJB) remain closed and the SC is still trying to pump current.

i'm just a redneck with a library card, so this is just theoretical:

The SC station knows that you are a paid customer from your VIN, and the mothership sends a command to close the contactors in the HVJB and turn on the charger. The BMS monitors the pack voltage and temperature and incoming current to determine the state of charge, and this information gets sent back to the SC station to regulate the charger power for your car.

Once the BMS reports that the pack has reached the requested charge level, then the charger has done its job and there is no longer any need to keep it powered up or the contactors closed. But does that mean that the mothership immediately shuts everything off? Try running the heater or AC and report back your findings...

It's simpler than this. There is no authorization or contacting of the mothership. The car itself authorizes the supercharging session. (If you haven't purchased supercharging, the software on the car won't allow it. If you're not an authorized customer, you have a stolen Tesla, in which case Suoercharging is the smallest of your problems.)

You can verify by watching the current draw when charging finishes but with the heat on. You should still see current getting drawn on the car's charging screen.

If you need 100% to arrive safely at your next destination, you should charge to 100%. Otherwise, you shouldn't hog the space.

We have a situation on the East Coast where some of the Superchargers are in the parking lots of hotels. In fact I arrived at the Rocky Mount SC with 8 miles left, at midnight. Checked into the hotel and left my car plugged in until 6am when I left the next morning. I was the only TESLA there so didn't inconvenience anyone but in the future it could be an issue. I was thinking that getting there late I could have been blocked out by more Tesla owners but again no one was there. However I can see this being a situation in the future with owners traveling and parking overnight in the SC. BTW, there is a current going to the car after it is full.

We have a situation on the East Coast where some of the Superchargers are in the parking lots of hotels. In fact I arrived at the Rocky Mount SC with 8 miles left, at midnight. Checked into the hotel and left my car plugged in until 6am when I left the next morning. I was the only TESLA there so didn't inconvenience anyone but in the future it could be an issue. I was thinking that getting there late I could have been blocked out by more Tesla owners but again no one was there. However I can see this being a situation in the future with owners traveling and parking overnight in the SC. BTW, there is a current going to the car after it is full.

Just because the supercharger is in the parking lot of a hotel is not permission to park there during your stay. Superchargers are charging spots not intended for long term parking. The proper etiquette is to charge, then leave the supercharger to park.

Cool. Interesting learning from this weekend. I left the car out overnight in <10 degree weather and put it directly on a supercharger in the morning. It sat there for at least 20 minutes not charging and when it finally got going it was very slow (like 5 amps). I'm guessing it was heating up the battery.

Yes, you are correct... a few folks found this out unexpectedly... in at least one case with a severely cold-soaked battery the warm up time was closer to an hour...

On my trip from NJ to Tampa, FL I needed a 100% charge at Port Orange, FL to minimum charge times on non-supercharger power sources at my destination (no Tampa supercharger yet). Well, I fell asleep in the car while running the A/C waiting on the charge (it was ~4AM, left at ~9AM the day before with 3 people, all beat).

I woke up a few hours later, car was full (said Charging Complete), and the supercharger was still providing a couple of kW for the HVAC and such still (was something like 85F outside still).

Yes, you are correct... a few folks found this out unexpectedly... in at least one case with a severely cold-soaked battery the warm up time was closer to an hour...

It's easy to speak in absolutes, but we need to look at individual situations. In this case, there were no Teslas at the Supercharger with 8 stalls available, it was midnight, the owner was tired, but wanted a good charge in the morning, and planned to leave at 6am. The only way a problem could have occurred would have been for a convoy of 8 or more Teslas to show up between 2 am and 6 am (it takes almost 2 hours to get a 100% charge). The chances of that are probably less than 1 in a million.

If you want to make sure that this is not an issue, in that 1 in a million chance, just leave your cell phone number in the windshield and leave the cell phone on. Problem solved. We need to make sure that Superchargers are available when needed, but be reasonable as well.