Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19 Inch Wheels on P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 40% of the P85D buyers tracked here, through the spreadsheet, have the 19" wheels. Many of them already took deliver and are enjoying launches, so should be fine. I'm going with 19" but then upgrading to 20's as soon as I take delivery, will be posting shortly asking whether to go staggered or not due to your similar concerns.

That is pretty amazing to have no TC on the 19s. Not so much the rim diameter but the fact that they are AS. I'm planning on 19s as well (probably P85D) and this is really good to hear.

Just a side note, drag radials usually have higher aspect ratios because that helps at the limit. The 19s have higher aspect ratios than the 21s. So probably the better straight line traction is on 19s with summer tires.

FYI
I am doing aluminum centering rings for my P85D rims (the ones that come with TSW wheels are plastic) and weighted my reference 19" Tesla rim and the TSW just for gins. 10 kg for the TSW and 15 kg for the stock Tesla 19" wheel.

I really did not see the value in over $5K for Tesla's heavy 21" rims together with sub-par PS2 tires (when compared to Pilot Super Sports). I had no idea the 19s were equally heavy.

I really did not see the value in over $5K for Tesla's heavy 21" rims together with sub-par PS2 tires (when compared to Pilot Super Sports). I had no idea the 19s were equally heavy.

The tire and wheel assembly are about the same weight, but the mass of the 19" is closer to the centre of rotation.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a side note, drag radials usually have higher aspect ratios because that helps at the limit. The 19s have higher aspect ratios than the 21s. So probably the better straight line traction is on 19s with summer tires.

Correct. the contact area is the load / air pressure. The 21" tires have a wider tread area (even though they have the same nominal width), so the contact patch on the the 19" is slightly longer and slightly narrower. This helps forward and reverse traction. (an 18" wheel would be even better if it fit).

I have 19" standard rims with Nokian Hakka R2's (Snow Tires) on my P85D. The Insane Mode Launch is mostly on rails (really great AWD) and me and my passengers always feel a little scared at how fast the launches are! BTW I have the 21" wheels for Summer, just have not used them yet as I picked it up with the 19's on it.