Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should TMC discourage "+1 posts"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Johan

Ex got M3 in the divorce, waiting for EU Model Y!
Feb 9, 2012
Drammen, Norway
In browsing the TMC forum I feel I see too many posts quoting someone else and adding "+1". I believe this should be discouraged. You can instead use the "add to reputation" function if you only want to voice your approval of what someone else has posted without adding any new information yourself.

Or maybe I'm just being grumpy?

+1 (hah!)

Certainly the ones that just quote a huge post with a +1 and nothing else anyway. It would be nice if adding karma to a post also showed the number of times it was added via that post. Then we could easily eliminate +1 posts.

there are forums which allow a Like function (same as Reputation on this forum, except requiring only 1 click as opposed to 3), and your name (ie. the 'liker") is publicly seen at the bottom of that post you just liked.

my fav is certain hip hop forums, where they changed the wording from "like" to "daps"

so for example

"Bluenation, Johan, and Xenoilphobe give daps to this post".

that shyt always cracked me up lol. always a sense of humor.

+/- 1

Sometimes if I see a post that is exactly what I would have said, the +1 just sums up my reply.
I noticed that there is a "rate thread" option , but you don't see the current status of the thread unless you click on it.

I don't see a rate post option. If that option gets available, I also suggest there should be a 5 star rating beside the post which show its current status.

Having a +1 shows publicly you're in agreement with the post, although it's probably better to add a bit of detail as to why you're in agreement, or which part of the post you agree with. A "like" button would do the public part but not the why part, so there's pros and cons to each approach. I don't see any particular problem with the way it's done now. Bear in mind that almost every added feature puts more load on the server(s) and slows response slightly. (Slightly times a large number equals a large number.)

Having a +1 shows publicly you're in agreement with the post, although it's probably better to add a bit of detail as to why you're in agreement, or which part of the post you agree with. A "like" button would do the public part but not the why part, so there's pros and cons to each approach. I don't see any particular problem with the way it's done now. Bear in mind that almost every added feature puts more load on the server(s) and slows response slightly. (Slightly times a large number equals a large number.)

The Like button wouldn't prevent people doing a plus 1 with additional comment if they so desired, it would just provide an alternative to people doing +1 without an comment. Incidentally the comment box doesn't normally like less than 3 characters so I normally have to stuff a space in there (not sure if there is some clever trick for this). I'm guessing that a Like button would put less load on the server than requesting and submitting a comment; however, I guess more people would do it than the number of people that currently do +1.

I believe vBulletin does has a "like button" feature (as mentioned above) where people can just click the "like" button instead of posting a "+1". You can see the names of all the people who liked your post. How about enabling that?

My other procrastination stop on the webz, scubaboard.com, has it enabled if anyone wants to see how it looks.

If the reputation feature is already turned on and configured with proper permissions (and we know it is), enabling the Like button should be straightforward. The settings for reputation and like button are closely related, at least in some versions of vBulletin.

Whether we should have the feature or not, that's an entirely different type of flying, altogether.