Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Squeaky brakes on new P85Ds - How many have them, and what's the solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I thought I'd start this thread so those of us with new P85Ds and squeaky brakes would have a thread to share our experiences in. I know I've read that at least a few other new P85D owners have experienced squeaky brakes. I picked my car up from the detailer this evening, having not really driven it much at all before having taken it there. On the way home I realized that my car too had some pretty loud and squeaky brakes.

I will, of course, let my service center know about this on Friday morning, but my service center is a couple of hundred miles away. I am scheduled for a tech visit in a couple of weeks for my wind noise issue, when they were going to be in the area anyway. I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything about the brakes at that time or not.

I'm wondering what others have had done, if anything. Have any of you found that the squeaking has gone away on its own, before Tesla had the chance to do anything about it? Has anyone been in for service on this issue yet, and if so, what was the result?

Let's pool our knowledge and our experiences with this issue.

Thanks.

My brakes are quite quiet, but it is quite normal for brand new brakes to squeak a bit until the pads seat. The process could take longer on a Tesla because you could easily drive it for weeks without hardly using the brakes to really stop. You might try doing several aggressive stops from 45 or so on an empty stretch of road or parking lot and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't improve after a few passes, I'd take it in to have them look at it because there are a number of other possibilities.

I would try bedding in the brakes as letsgofast suggests. You want to do a series of maybe 5-6 hard braking events from around 60 mph or so down to around 10 mph or so but don't come to a complete stop during the process. The idea is to heat up the pads and rotors and deposit a layer of pad material on the rotors so the brakes grab better, and it might stop the squealing. After you've done the hard stops keep driving around for another 15 minutes without stopping to allow the rotors to cool. Longer explanation can be found here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

My brakes are completely quiet. I agree with the bedding in process. I picked up an M3 once that was so squeaky I thought something was stuck in one of the rotors. I would imagine it would really take the effort of multiple high speed stops to stop the squeezing in our cars as so much of the normal braking is not with the rotors, but with the regen. If that doesn't clear it the SC obviously should look at them.

My brakes are quite quiet, but it is quite normal for brand new brakes to squeak a bit until the pads seat. The process could take longer on a Tesla because you could easily drive it for weeks without hardly using the brakes to really stop. You might try doing several aggressive stops from 45 or so on an empty stretch of road or parking lot and see if the noise goes away. If it doesn't improve after a few passes, I'd take it in to have them look at it because there are a number of other possibilities.

We have squeaky brakes too. I'm hoping once they break in it'll go away. If it doesn't I'm taking it in for service.

I would try bedding in the brakes as letsgofast suggests. You want to do a series of maybe 5-6 hard braking events from around 60 mph or so down to around 10 mph or so but don't come to a complete stop during the process. The idea is to heat up the pads and rotors and deposit a layer of pad material on the rotors so the brakes grab better, and it might stop the squealing. After you've done the hard stops keep driving around for another 15 minutes without stopping to allow the rotors to cool. Longer explanation can be found here: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

My brakes are completely quiet. I agree with the bedding in process. I picked up an M3 once that was so squeaky I thought something was stuck in one of the rotors. I would imagine it would really take the effort of multiple high speed stops to stop the squeezing in our cars as so much of the normal braking is not with the rotors, but with the regen. If that doesn't clear it the SC obviously should look at them.

+ 4 on bedding

Thanks very much, to all of you. I will definitely try the bedding process and see if that resolves the issue.

High performance brakes are louder in cold climates as well. I forgot the exact reason but know this to be true. The advice offered is sound; give it some time for break in and bed the brakes. This is most folks first super car, so it's understandable to see the concern. If they are still loud after 1000 miles, it could be something to address with the SC.

Yep, and after you have complete the "bedding", remember that due to the "under-use" of the MS brakes (thanks to regen), you will have to be diligent in repeating the process over time as required...

This can also happen if you don't use the friction brakes enough because of regen, and disks begin to rust.
So I'd say +1 on doing hard brakes once in a while to prevent brake squeal.

See also:
Drive An Electric Car? Remember To Exercise Your Car’s Brakes!