Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How rare are Model S' without the Tech Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For almost 60 cars delivered or awaiting delivery in Hong Kong, not a single one was ordered without the tech package. The same goes for the parking sensors - 100% support as well.

Link in my signature with details.

Somewhere it was quoted and it was around 5% I think. I have considered it but now with autopilot, the value seems pretty good. Not today mind you since the functionality is nice but not worth the money yet. But presuming that you get ACC and lane holding, that really makes Tech worth the money.

I still get confused as to what comes with the Tech package but before autopilot, it was pretty high $$ for what you get. Not horrible but not great either.

I briefly considered a S60 with no options. Because at $62k (post TC), the $4k is a pretty good chunk. And when leasing, options hurt even more.

I didn't get the tech package, but would with today's options. When I ordered mine the only thing in the tech package that added functionality was nav, to me the rest of the options were cool but not useful, and I didn't want any of the other options that required the tech package, so I saved the money...

No tech package here. $3,750 for a bunch of "cool" things and having lived without in-car nav for my whole life (and considering i know where I am going 99% of the time) I skipped it. With AutoPilot, I would definitely order it though. At the time, the passive entry was the only thing that I wanted and wasn't paying 3750 for just that. I was under the impression that my car would still have the ability to just touch the handle to unlock (no auto-present) but that was incorrect.

Things I like about no-tech package:
- Manual lift gate - I like being able to open/close as quickly and easily as I am able to and not having to wait for the car to do it for me.
- Black trim - I have a white car - so I like the blacked out trim on the rear-diffuser and the front fascia better than chrome.
- having an extra $3,750 in my savings account :)

Things I would have liked about the tech-package:
- Automatic keyless entry - I am kind of annoyed that I have to always use my fob to unlock the car.
- Driver profiles - my wife ends up driving the Model S a lot more than I had planned for :)
- DRL - but I really don't care - I can't see them anyways and I kind of don't like the look of them (looks like a cat)

My first MS doesn't have it and I would have been happy to have my second without it as well. I would never have ordered it. Don't need turn by turn nav, the google maps and the "find" feature does it fine for me. Don't need an automatic lift feature or auto preset for the door handles, don't need the HomeLink, I have a garage door opener. Didn't need to spend $3750 at the time for it. I now have it on my Used P85, but really nothing I couldn't live without. But from what I see it is now more of a prerequisite for some of the other features that a lot of people would want. I would have been fine with another MS 85 with only a Pano Roof if I could have found one at the right price, so I paid a little more for my used P85 and got a lot of stuff that I really don't need, but it is cool stuff anyway.

In snow country you may very well NEED the air suspension. Thus need the Tech Pkg nowadays.

> I have to always use my fob to unlock the car. [golfski]

Or simply touch the handle (lacking Tech Pkg)? But to LOCK you do have to squeeze the fob, which might have been what you meant.
--

In snow country you may very well NEED the air suspension. Thus need the Tech Pkg nowadays.

> I have to always use my fob to unlock the car. [golfski]

Or simply touch the handle (lacking Tech Pkg)? But to LOCK you do have to squeeze the fob, which might have been what you meant.
--

Without the tech package, you have to manually unlock the car. Just touching the handle doesn't unlock it. I think that feature should be available even without the tech package, but it's not. My base model leaf and Prius would both do it, but not model s.

Without the tech package, you have to manually unlock the car. Just touching the handle doesn't unlock it. I think that feature should be available even without the tech package, but it's not. My base model leaf and Prius would both do it, but not model s.

Weird, I can unlock by pushing the handle without the tech package...used to be any handle but now only the driver's handle. I wonder if they completely removed this feature in newer cars, mine is a relatively early VIN.

Weird, I can unlock by pushing the handle without the tech package...used to be any handle but now only the driver's handle. I wonder if they completely removed this feature in newer cars, mine is a relatively early VIN.

This was removed after about 10,000 VIN. I was under the assumption when I skipped the tech-package I would have that feature, which is one of the big reasons I skipped it cause that seemed good enough, but learned after delivery (and so did my SvC) that they stopped shipping this months earlier.

- Black trim - I have a white car - so I like the blacked out trim on the rear-diffuser and the front fascia better than chrome.

Wait--I didn't know that was even possible? Of the very few things I would (and plan to) change about my S is the chrome trim. Is it just the front and rear on your car or is it also the window trim?

Tech vs notech seems to be a pretty divisive topic...it will be interesting to see what affect (if any) the package has on resale.

Wait--I didn't know that was even possible? Of the very few things I would (and plan to) change about my S is the chrome trim. Is it just the front and rear on your car or is it also the window trim?

Tech vs notech seems to be a pretty divisive topic...it will be interesting to see what affect (if any) the package has on resale.

It does not apply to the window trim - just the bottom trim on the rear diffuser and the "rakes" on the lower front fascia next to the cornering/parking/fog light assembly.

This was removed after about 10,000 VIN. I was under the assumption when I skipped the tech-package I would have that feature, which is one of the big reasons I skipped it cause that seemed good enough, but learned after delivery (and so did my SvC) that they stopped shipping this months earlier.

I assumed the functionality was there as well and initially though something was defective, but sadly my car was fine...

I was also an early buyer who lucked out and got all the options I wanted without the requirement of the tech package. Tech package was about $4k---for navigation I have on my phone, HomeLink and I don't have a garage, auto-presenting doors. I still got air suspension, stereo upgrade, door handles that unlock and present with touch. Incidentally, mine is going to be posted for sale soon if anyone is looking for this unique combo of options. PM me.

It sounds like some previously base model features were taken away on more recent cars to nudge people to upgrade to the tech package. That would be annoying to not be able to unlock and open the trunk without pushing on the fob. I just walk up and push the trunk release and it happens.

I know Tesla is trying to simplify their production, and but the new bundling of options is kind of lame. Why require the tech package to get air suspension? They are independent technologies. Hopefully they'll eventually untangle the options, like they reversed the requirement of buying the HPWC with twin chargers.

Can you elaborate on this? About to confirm an S order without air. We do lots of ski trips so curious to hear.

Plowed highways not a problem. But travel late at night where plowing ceases at midnight (Colorado secondary state highways) especially where wind causes drifting, you may have a problem with steel suspension.

Also, drive off a curb and get stuck (I've done it) is instantly solved with the air susp, but would be a nightmare without air. If this happens just once then air becomes 'worth every penny'. :rolleyes:
--