Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: 2014 | SpaceX Year in Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
amazing progress

honestly i havent been following space x too much...anyone know what's in store for them, in 2015?

A lot more launches. The biggest thing for SpaceX is the steps toward reusability. They will try to land their booster sometime next week. That will lead to other tests and a re-launch of a previously used booster stage. Also the first Falcon Heavy should be launched this year. Last year was big for SpaceX and this year should prove to be even bigger. I would say that by the end of this year every other launch company will be quaking in their boots and scrambling to see if they can make a reusable rocket.

Both Tesla and SpaceX are doing amazing things, but when SpaceX returns and lands a first stage this year (I am confident they will do it this year, if not next week) that will be a game-changing milestone for humanity as it will enable dramatically lower cost space exploration and change the course of human history: we will colonize Mars, as opposed to just sending a few people and bringing them back and then stopping because it's too costly.

As much as I admire Tesla, I cannot imagine anything Tesla could accomplish that will compare to it.

Last edited:
As much as I admire Tesla, I cannot imagine anything Tesla could accomplish that will compare to it.

If Tesla actually succeeds in their goal of obtaining sustainable transportation--even if it isn't Tesla that finishes the job--that will be just as big a leap although in a different way. (Tesla's goal is 90% political, whereas SpaceX's goal is 90% technical.)

If Tesla actually succeeds in their goal of obtaining sustainable transportation--even if it isn't Tesla that finishes the job--that will be just as big a leap although in a different way. (Tesla's goal is 90% political, whereas SpaceX's goal is 90% technical.)

I disagree that Tesla's goal is mostly political. It is also a fairly technical goal. You have to build a compelling car that achieves all the things that customers are wanting. In the case of Tesla they are also creating things that people didn't know they wanted but once Tesla showed it to them then realized it was superior to what is out there. We do know that Tesla is making electric cars compelling. That is pushing all the other manufacturers to consider EVs as a viable future. We don't know whether it would have happened anyway. If Tesla wasn't around then it could be that HFCV's would have the time to catch on and would not need to be as clean as they are pushing themselves. Without SpaceX there would be no reusability for at least another 20 to 30 years, I think.

It all becomes a game of "what if." Depending upon what happens in the future both can be equally big leap.

When SpaceX achieves reusability, it will be no less a milestone than the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk. It will usher in true planetary spaceflight and colonization.

We are witnessing history that occurs once in a hundred years.

Jan. 6 at 6:18 a.m. EST is the planned liftoff of the next SpaceX rocket.

Last edited:
It all becomes a game of "what if." Depending upon what happens in the future both can be equally big leap.

No argument there. My point was that rocket science is harder than car science. There's no attitude change on the rocket side, just the technical part of making rockets reusable. The political part of the car side means changing people's attitudes about electric cars, installing charging stations for trips, giving competition to the dealer cartel model, etc. Certainly there is a technical component involved in the design and manufacture of the car, but the political side is much larger.