Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas Station Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All you do is ask the cashier to turn it on. Some give you the money and some have a remote switch. It's smarmy they do it this way.

You know they do it that way cause 99.99% of the population probably doesn't know they don't need to pay so they make some money on the deal.

I wish it was like that in Jersey. We have to pay for air (anywhere from 25 cents to 75 cents from what I've seen/remember). I'm not sure about the water for the radiator though.

-Shark2k

You know they do it that way cause 99.99% of the population probably doesn't know they don't need to pay so they make some money on the deal.

I wish it was like that in Jersey. We have to pay for air (anywhere from 25 cents to 75 cents from what I've seen/remember). I'm not sure about the water for the radiator though.

-Shark2k
That's very different from Norway where the gas station attendants know nothing of cars or anything technical really but you've got free soap water to wash your windows, paper towels, air for tires (or bicycles or fotballs), water and probably slow charging for your EV if you ask nicely. All self operated of course since our wages are way too high to pay anyone to do this for you...

Cobos

That's very different from Norway where the gas station attendants know nothing of cars or anything technical really but you've got free soap water to wash your windows, paper towels, air for tires (or bicycles or fotballs), water and probably slow charging for your EV if you ask nicely. All self operated of course since our wages are way too high to pay anyone to do this for you...

Cobos

Only 2 states in the US are "full-service" gas stations. Of course all that means is some one pumps your gas. I live in one of those states and it is actually illegal to pump your own gas. The people of this great state apparently don't want to go to self-service like the rest of the country, I would love it.

Of course when I get an electric vehicle it will be self-service and I'll be happy :biggrin:.

-Shark2k

Only 2 states in the US are "full-service" gas stations. Of course all that means is some one pumps your gas. I live in one of those states and it is actually illegal to pump your own gas. The people of this great state apparently don't want to go to self-service like the rest of the country, I would love it.

Of course when I get an electric vehicle it will be self-service and I'll be happy :biggrin:.

-Shark2k

What does "forced" pumping do to the price?

We are now being forced to check out our own groceries -without any discount in cost.

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=110510
...Dressler -- and other foes of self-service, including AAA -- argue the price of gasoline is kept low because of the presence of gas station attendants. Paying these workers cuts into the profits of big oil companies, who then avoid the state, allowing smaller companies such as Lukoil to remain competitive and keep prices down, they say.

That theory is not universal.

Jim Benton, executive director if the New Jersey Petroleum Council, said the self-service ban is depriving New Jersey residents of lower gas prices. The price isn't tied to competition, he said. It relates to the low state tax on motor oil, which is the third lowest in the nation at 14.5 cents on the gallon, Benton said.

"New Jersey residents think they are getting a bargain for full service, but the bargain is the low motor fuel tax. A dedicated attendant, with no other job than to pump gasoline, can be redirected to being a mechanic or working at a convenience store," Benton said...

Last edited:
What does "forced" pumping do to the price?

We are now being forced to check out our own groceries -without any discount in cost.

@TEG: We sure did lol.

vfx, what TEG posted is more than I could have said about the subject. Gas around me is like $2.60ish for cash and $2.70ish credit, so you can use that to compare. I personally never felt that full service was great because back in the days they use to clean the windows and small stuff that didn't take long while filling your tank. Now all they do is fill 'er up and you get strange looks when you ask for them to clean your window. I would love NJ to go self-service, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future (if at all).

-Shark2k

Last edited: