Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal Gear Solid Charger Tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@elonmusk "Btw, we are actually working on a charger that automatically moves out from the wall & connects like a solid metal snake. For realz."

@elonmusk "This can be used with all existing Model S cars, not just futures ones."

So looks like after the D event they actually started to work on the automatic charger. This seems like a pretty neat idea, wonder how many years before it will be deployed ;)

Last edited:
@elonmusk "Btw, we are actually working on a charger that automatically moves out from the wall & connects like a solid metal snake. For realz."

@elonmusk "This can be used with all existing Model S cars, not just futures ones."

So looks like after the D event they actually started to work on the automatic charger. This seems like a pretty neat idea, wonder how many years before it will be deployed ;)

"working on" are the key words here... if anything like the R&D time for the X, it will be years

Sounded very cool. On the other hand, it sounds very low value and I'm not seeing how this advances the EV proposition much, certainly compared to where else that R&D money can be spent.

A lack of self-plugin hasn't exactly hurt the adoption of anything else electric (e.g cell phones).

Sounded very cool. On the other hand, it sounds very low value and I'm not seeing how this advances the EV proposition much, certainly compared to where else that R&D money can be spent.

A lack of self-plugin hasn't exactly hurt the adoption of anything else electric (e.g cell phones).

Self-plug-in/out + AutoPilot. AutoPilot is what was missing. Think about it...

It's not just about the convenience of parking at home, although that's definitely nice. The real potential is on the road.

Drive to location that hosts the (Super)charger.
Drive to door.
Select Self-charge.
Get out of car.
Go inside.
Relax until you get charged message.

No long walk from sub-prime charging spot.
No sitting in the car until a spot frees up.

Self-charge is another way to help ease the problem of congestion. And it's cool.

how about in freezing cold rain or crazy cold wind. pull up to a supercharger and it connects and charges your car without you getting out and wet? must be some value there

I wonder how similar it will look to what Rinspeed showed off a few years back
Rinspeed Tesla Model S-Based XchangE - Geneva Motor Show 2014 (6).jpg

how about in freezing cold rain or crazy cold wind. pull up to a supercharger and it connects and charges your car without you getting out and wet? must be some value there
If this was a major blocker to adoption, gas cars would have never succeeded either.

Again, it's cool, but seems tremendously low value. jhm made a good argument for it in the short term thread, which was automatically shared usage in something like a condo/apartment parking structure. That'd be many, many years away though.

I really don't get the negative nancies ITT. I freakin love the idea. Why do we have to be only as good as gas cars? We should be better.

These kinds of announcements may not make someone go out and buy a Tesla, but it captures peoples' imaginations and further emphasizes that EVs are the future and have so many possibilities that gas cars don't.

I trust that Tesla knows how to spend their own R+D money and that tiny projects like this don't get in the way of important stuff.

I really don't get the negative nancies ITT. I freakin love the idea. Why do we have to be only as good as gas cars? We should be better.

I agree. It also directly answers the negative nancies that would respond to the "car parks itself in your garage, and picks you up from your front door in the morning" with "but you still have to go out there to plug or unplug the charger, what a waste of time"