Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current status of dedicated Roadster chargers in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen pictures of dedicated Tesla Roadster chargers in the wild. but have never found a definitive list of the ones still out there. Do any of the Roadster chargers Tesla originally placed in public still exist, and if so, is there some sort of list that shows all of the current locations?

I try to keep that map up to date...but of course like all EVSE maps it depends on user reports, so I can't guarantee that all EVSEs are represented, that represented ones are there, or that ones converted to J1772 are all noted. If you find something missing, please let me know.

It was originally just West-coast Roadster chargers. Well, it also included some key campgrounds and J1772 EVSEs when they started appearing. I quickly stopped trying to keep track of those. At one point I started adding Model S chargers and East-coast chargers, but quickly ran in to limitations of how many pins a Google map would show.

So now it's back to largely just Roadster chargers on the West coast. Although it appears to have some early ChaDeMo locations (from long ago when I was tracking Model S chargers and ChaDeMo support was announced); I deleted those but Google seems to keep two maps (I don't know why) and I'm never sure which one I'm editing. I'll try to delete those from both copies.

Last July, I drove from Seattle to Monterey for TMC Connect, with a stop in Loomis for Bonnie's BBQ. I used all of the HPCs listed along that route:

Burgerville, Centralia, WA
World Trade Center, Portland, OR
Sequential Biofuels, Eugene, OR
Seven Feathers, Canyonville, OR
Comfort Inn, Yreka, CA
Berry Patch, Orland, CA
Woodland Mall, Woodland, CA
Tesla Factory, Fremont, CA

They all worked, all were 70A on 208V circuits (so about 50 ideal miles per hour of charging). The power light on the unit in Yreka was burned out, but the unit worked just fine.

Tesla has removed the Roadster HPCs from the Santana Row and Menlo Park stores. Those pins should be removed.

While not a dedicated Roadster HPC, there's an 80A J1772 charging station at the Best Western in Anderson, CA. It's a Sun Country Highway station, but the hotel owner has added a Liberty Technologies keypad on it and charges $15 for 4 hours of charging, even if you're a guest at the hotel.

I wanted to try it and booked a room there, not knowing about the fee and time limit. I needed more than 4 hours to get a full charge and was annoyed by the surprise fee (it's not mentioned on the Sun Country Highway site and wasn't mentioned when I called to ask about charging before making my reservation), so I bailed and switched to the Best Western Plus in Redding.

The Best Western Plus Hilltop Inn in Redding, 10.5 miles north, has two free 208V/30A J1772 stations (and I'm told they've added two Model S HPWCs), and is also a nicer hotel. So, I recommend Redding for overnight charging.

The Anderson location would be great for mid-day charging: with the $15 fee you know it won't be occupied by a local EV, which is always a risk at free J1772 stations. While not enough to get a low battery up to a full range mode charge, four hours is more than enough time to get past the point where the charge rate has dropped enough that it's faster to get back on the road to charge at the next 70A station.

What's the benefit of the Tesla Highway Google map overlay instead of just using the more widespread PlugShare web site? Plugshare lets you search for roadster connectors and over time is getting amperage ratings for systems entered into their database. Just curious what the the potential benefit are in maintaining the second format of this data.

What's the benefit of the Tesla Highway Google map overlay instead of just using the more widespread PlugShare web site? Plugshare lets you search for roadster connectors and over time is getting amperage ratings for systems entered into their database. Just curious what the the potential benefit are in maintaining the second format of this data.

For me, personally - much easier to plan a trip in my Roadster this way. Plugshare right now doesn't allow you to filter for just the 70amp HPCs. Maybe sometime in the future, but the Tesla Highway map has been much more helpful to me for long-distance trip planning.

Right now, the only way to enter the amp limit into PlugShare is with the special Model S version of the site, which is very limiting. Model S drivers rarely use public HPCs because the SC stations are much faster and only a few Model S owners have the adapter required. Even when it's in there, it's not currently visible to anyone.

Also, we want not just the amp limit but also the voltage of the stations. 240V vs 208V (or even lower, I've seen 187V) makes a noticeable difference in choosing stations and planning charge times.

If/when PlugShare does everything Chad's map does, I'm sure we'll all start relying on PlugShare. I tried using it to plan my trip in July and it didn't yield helpful information for anything I looked at.

The upcoming NIST regulations are most likely going to require all paid charging stations be labeled by their kW output, which will make this information visible to all drivers. For now, Leaf owners with 6.6 kW on-board chargers have to just wonder why their car is charging so slowly when plugged into a 187V/24A (4.5 kW) station. PlugShare would be serving all EV owners, not just Tesla owners, by getting this information into their map. I explained this to them early in 2014, but we're still not seeing any real action from them.

Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that the only EVSE with the roadster connector was the HPC, and assumed they were all 70 amp installs. Learn something new...
It's complicated. The only EVSE with the Roadster connector is the Roadster HPC, but some HPCs have been converted to J1772 connectors, and some J1772 stations are 70A or even 80A installs, as well as some that are less than 70 but more than the usual 30A. Most notably, Sun Country Highway has put in a cross-country network of 70/80A J1772 stations across Canada and are working at extending their network into the US.

Currently, it's a bunch of work to find everything that may be of interest to a Roadster owner planning a road trip. Chad's map is the best compilation of what we know for Roadster-optimized charging in the US.

Yeah, for me it's all about the amp filter. Once Plugshare has one (I sent them a feature request for it several years ago), I will happily get rid of the Tesla Highway map.

...PlugShare would be serving all EV owners, not just Tesla owners, by getting this information into their map. I explained this to them early in 2014, but we're still not seeing any real action from them.

I've sent this feature request multiple times over the last several years. It appears to go into a black hole. Even after Tom (and others) explained why it would be useful to all EV owners and they responded here on TMC that they finally understood and would do something, they never did.

But according to one of the sales people a week ago, "You'd better call ahead, the store manager usually parks his Roadster there". I don't know who currently manages the store, Kirsten has been kicked upstairs.
The Roadster HPC is open to any and all Roadster owners who needs to charge. I spoke with the manager Alex Henry yesterday, and he said he is more than happy to move his car if there is no space!