Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Blog: Driving Range for Model S Family....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yay! Highlights:

1 Values for 85D and P85D are pending final confirmation from the EPA and use new dual motor torque sleep control software available by the end of January 2015.

2 Using new torque sleep control software available end of January 2015.

Despite this aerodynamic challenge, highway cruising is where the unique benefit of the dual motor cars, to torque sleep one of the drive units when not in use, is most apparent. Much like a modern computer that can actually sleep in between keystrokes, the dual motor Model S will quickly torque sleep a drive unit when torque is not needed and instantly wake it up as the accelerator is pressed to command more torque. It continues spinning while asleep and the digital torque wake up is so fast that the driver can’t perceive it. It is far superior to the slow and awkward engine startup on stop-start hybrid vehicles.

The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%. All tables and graphs in this paper are shown including the benefits of torque sleep.

Interesting to note that the EPA numbers for the 85D and the P85D have gone up. The 85D is now showing at 270 and the P85D at 253 (both on 19" wheels). A respective improvement of 5 and 3 miles.

There's still some lack of clarity here. Were the previous EPA numbers (85D=265, P85D+19"=250, P85D+21"=242) done with the "torque sleep" software or not? My guess would be yes and that the latest numbers are an improved version of the torque sleep software.

I do think we can stop with the pointless 90% state of charge argument and a lot of other theories about what is causing the reduced range on the P85D (including my own). Looks like the EPA number coming in lower (even with the torque sleep in the new numbers) is just the way the car is setup for performance. The cars in the hands of customers not meeting the efficiency expected with the EPA numbers is a matter of missing the torque sleep.

I want to take a moment and thank everyone at Tesla Motors who put effort into putting out this communication. It helps restore my confidence.

I understand how Intel Speedstep works, but I'm not sure I understand this part:

Much like a modern computer that can actually sleep in between keystrokes, the dual motor Model S will quickly torque sleep a drive unit when torque is not needed and instantly wake it up as the accelerator is pressed to command more torque. It continues spinning while asleep and the digital torque wake up is so fast that the driver can’t perceive it. It is far superior to the slow and awkward engine startup on stop-start hybrid vehicles.

If the motor is still spinning then where does the energy go? And how is this different then if you just have a single motor? Does it not also sleep when at rest?

I want to take a moment and thank everyone at Tesla Motors who put effort into putting out this communication. It helps restore my confidence.
^^^^ This. Although I was confident that they would make it right as that's been their pattern (say something, put it out, get complaints, fix).

I do think we can stop with the pointless 90% state of charge argument and a lot of other theories about what is causing the reduced range on the P85D (including my own). Looks like the EPA number coming in lower (even with the torque sleep in the new numbers) is just the way the car is setup for performance. The cars in the hands of customers not meeting the efficiency expected with the EPA numbers is a matter of missing the torque sleep.
I regret the 90% argument although I don't know if I am the only one that started that. I have seen it repeated and ever since the EPA numbers came out with no mention of the charge requirement and 250 miles for 19" tires it stopped making sense.

However I still want this explained

New range calculator:
For comparison select 55 mph and you get 339 miles.
Your Questions Answered | Tesla Motors

Old range calculator on Wayback Machine - chart shows 306 miles @55 mph although rest of site is non-functional:

So are new models more efficient? Or have they decided to be more optimistic with their numbers?

Welp, that's good news. I was in the midst of feeling the need to reply that Jerome is probably the wrong person to be contacting about the range issue; that it should be JB, CTO. Jerome doesn't seem privy to technical aspects as one would expect or it could have been included in marketing literature/provided to employees on the ground. This is probably the reason why the communications executive parted ways with a former Tesla exec needing to swoop in to take the reigns. No one internally seems to be communicating! Jerome is probably just as frustrated as everyone else. Oh well, Tesla saves yesterday again.

A very helpful, and much needed blog post. as i said previously:

this update should have been pushed BEFORE they started selling to ppl handing over their hard earned cash.

hopefully they learned the lesson that this won't fly with the soccer moms of X buyers, and even less so with the mass market model.

A lawsuit for false advertisement is not fun for any party. The customer included.

Tesla should have mentioned the torque sleep software update AT the D announcement (or as soon as it was known that it wouldn't come with the car at delivery).

Having said that though, I wish people would have a little more faith rather than assuming that Tesla's screwed them and threatening lawsuits, order cancellations, etc.

Other than being late for almost every deadline (or definitely every deadline) they announce, they always seem to come through in the end on the important stuff.

Yay! Highlights:

1 Values for 85D and P85D are pending final confirmation from the EPA and use new dual motor torque sleep control software available by the end of January 2015.

2 Using new torque sleep control software available end of January 2015.

Despite this aerodynamic challenge, highway cruising is where the unique benefit of the dual motor cars, to torque sleep one of the drive units when not in use, is most apparent. Much like a modern computer that can actually sleep in between keystrokes, the dual motor Model S will quickly torque sleep a drive unit when torque is not needed and instantly wake it up as the accelerator is pressed to command more torque. It continues spinning while asleep and the digital torque wake up is so fast that the driver can’t perceive it. It is far superior to the slow and awkward engine startup on stop-start hybrid vehicles.

The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%. All tables and graphs in this paper are shown including the benefits of torque sleep.

+1 I just wish Tesla communicated this earlier. It is relieving to have it all cleared up.

I regret the 90% argument although I don't know if I am the only one that started that. I have seen it repeated and ever since the EPA numbers came out with no mention of the charge requirement and 250 miles for 19" tires it stopped making sense.

However I still want this explained

New range calculator:
For comparison select 55 mph and you get 339 miles.

Old range calculator on Wayback Machine - chart shows 306 miles @55 mph although rest of site is non-functional:

So are new models more efficient? Or have they decided to be more optimistic with their numbers?
I am extremley glad the blog is out, but I am also curious about some of this you write about here. Because the numbers for the non-D versions seems to have magically improved.... Or am I missing some vital piece of info here?

No matter what I am now back to being exited about the car as it will have the correct software from day 1 for me