Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D delivery summary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- P85D ordered in late November. Production started Dec 12, production was complete Dec 18, and I took delivery Dec 29, as promised from the day we ordered the car. Almost all options. 19" wheels for all the reasons discussed on this forum, including range and wear. Very impressed with the speed of the process and delivery.

- DS was terrific, highly responsive, answering questions often past 11 pm. He and the team also corrected a minor but important problem by replacing a defective part found during inspection.

- DS told me next gen seats in the rear, performance seats in the front. During walkthrough, the tech told me he thought they were both next gen seats. Reality: both performance seats (I had to point this out and show pictures of actual next gen seats from this forum!). Front and rear next gen seats are now on the due bill.

- My detailer, who has the car now, was fairly critical of the state of the car at delivery, and said everything was clearly rushed. That said, he's incredibly detail-oriented, and a perfectionist. Even so, some of the prep issues were obvious, even to me, such as soap suds on the mirrors and fingerprints all over the insides.

- The only issue found so far that will require adjusting is a bit of wind noise leaking in at highway speeds around the passenger side A pillar glass triangle, I think. Service center already set up an appointment to fix it. I quoted another post on this forum reporting the same thing (but on the driver side).

- Though I lost the seat lottery, I won the heated steering wheel lottery, which is very nice since the latter can't be changed :)

- Overall, I'm very happy with the car, which is terrific. The imperfections in the process are understandable given the extreme rush at Tesla, though that doesn't change their existence.

I'm very grateful for this forum, which provided a wealth of important information throughout the process. So thank you everyone!!! Now we just need the range problem to be fixed so that our cars actually deliver their advertised range. I'm optimistic this will happen, mostly because betting against Tesla and Elon has not proven to be wise in the past.

Good luck and happy holidays to all soon-to-be owners!

Yes Congrats on your P85D! BTW, how many other P85D's were there for pick up at your Tesla location?

There were maybe 100 Model Ss (and one Roadster!) on the site in Watertown, MA. The majority were new cars. My rough estimate from walk around was maybe 30 P85Ds on the site. The DS told me they were delivering P85Ds non-stop for the past several days. I only saw one with next gen seats out of about 8 I looked in to. Of course it was black, with next gen seats only in the front.

My speculation (purely that) is that the unhappiness about the missing next gen seats and the heated steering wheel caused Tesla to realize that if they distributed the love (or aggravation, depending on your perspective), they would be better off. Thus my guess is that more of the cold-state P85Ds got heated steering wheels but non-next-gen seats (like mine).

Of course if anyone points out a delivered P85D with a heated steering wheel and front and back next gen seats then that would argue against my hypothesis.

Yes, that is a good hypothesis and makes sense to send the heated steering wheels to the northern climates. Congrats on getting one.

The Milford, CT SC is also awash in S models, most of which are P85D's. I was able to see there, many color combinations and wheel variants.

Was able to see my current favorite which is the new grey with the tan interior and matte obeche with the black alcantara headliner and 21 inch wheels.
Nice.

There were maybe 100 Model Ss (and one Roadster!) on the site in Watertown, MA. The majority were new cars. My rough estimate from walk around was maybe 30 P85Ds on the site. The DS told me they were delivering P85Ds non-stop for the past several days. I only saw one with next gen seats out of about 8 I looked in to. Of course it was black, with next gen seats only in the front.

My speculation (purely that) is that the unhappiness about the missing next gen seats and the heated steering wheel caused Tesla to realize that if they distributed the love (or aggravation, depending on your perspective), they would be better off. Thus my guess is that more of the cold-state P85Ds got heated steering wheels but non-next-gen seats (like mine).

Of course if anyone points out a delivered P85D with a heated steering wheel and front and back next gen seats then that would argue against my hypothesis.

Your theory seems to be correct for me. I live in the North and received the Heated Steering Wheel but no NG seats.

not sure if there is any logic at all. I received none, not even the now "standard" but $850 after delivery yacht floor option....
really wish I had the heated wheel! The D uses so much energy with heat on here, I would get probably only 100 miles range (with 85% charge) by the energy consumption with heat on - north of 600w

Your theory seems to be correct for me. I live in the North and received the Heated Steering Wheel but no NG seats.

not sure if there is any logic at all. I received none, not even the now "standard" but $850 after delivery yacht floor option....
really wish I had the heated wheel! The D uses so much energy with heat on here, I would get probably only 100 miles range (with 85% charge) by the energy consumption with heat on - north of 600w

I don't see you in the tracking spreadsheet. When did you go into production?