Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Boston Area Inspection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where are people taking their cars to get their inspection sticker? I'm hesitant to take the car to my local station for fear they'll have no idea what to do with the car. Anyone have any recommendations on places that have at least seen a Tesla cross their path?

I know the Gas Station down the street from the Service Center see's quite a few but this is a bit out of the way for me.

Where are people taking their cars to get their inspection sticker? I'm hesitant to take the car to my local station for fear they'll have no idea what to do with the car. Anyone have any recommendations on places that have at least seen a Tesla cross their path?

I know the Gas Station down the street from the Service Center see's quite a few but this is a bit out of the way for me.
FWIW, I always took my Tesla to a local new-car auto dealer. It's great fun to see their reaction, and these dealerships generally have nicer waiting lounges than a body shop.

It's quite funny to see the faces on these guys as they still don't know anything about these cars, but it's really a 2min thing to get an inspection sticker, at least that's what it took my mechanic in Newton. I've been using him for years despite that I live 40min away from him.

If you want his address, PM me and I'll send it over to you, but I'm sure any Inspection station in your area can do it and have a good talk with them about the car and don't forget to ask them to change your oil while doing the inspection :wink:

I've had it done at the service center (they take it to the Lexus dealer) and at the local Mercedes dealer (they are slow).
Speaking of which, today is my 2 year anniversary and my sticker is due this month.

I think he wants to drive into the garage and pull it out.
I take mine to the Mercedes dealer in Natick and they "drive it off..." but they have plenty of free snacks.

There is a Lexus dealer near the service center who as inspected loads of Model S's.

The lady at the place I went to said that they were required to drive the car into the inspection area. It was the first Tesla she had seen, so I was a bit nervous turning it over, but she did fine. She did let me back it out.
With a small "fleet", I've probably had close to 100 inspections over the years (did you know that you need a second policy if you have more than 4 vehicles? :wink:). I've never been allowed to drive it in to the bay (that's usually when they check the parking brake). I have backed out afterwards several times.

Century Tire on Beacon St has served me well over the years with my RAV4. Owner at the front desk has a dry sense of humor which can come across as short or sarcastic, but if you see through that it's obvious he's a nice and honest guy. He's never tried to upsell us on anything other than tire hazard insurance which I think he genuinely recommends given where we live. I plan to go to them with with my S for inspections, tires and any other routine work, largely out of trust from past jobs.

Century Tire Auto Service - Google Maps

Last edited:
Can someone name drop a local station that they went to in Boston where there was 0 hassle and they didn't drive the car off?

I used DL Auto Repair (1856 Dorchester Ave, Dorchester Center).

There's really no reason any inspection place should need to drive the car at all. For older ICEs they may need to hook it up to the exhaust gas analyzer, but that shouldn't involve moving the car more place.

I've been going to that place four years because they don't fret over little things (for instance, I don't have a front plate). I don't even think he sat in my car, he just took the registration and printed the sticker (so he surely sat in the passenger side to apply the sticker). My car was brand new, tho

Hi, does anyone have an update on this? Where have folks been going for the last 5 years since this was discussed? Anyone in north shore Boston? Maybe I’m a terrible googler but there’s a dearth of information on finding places that know what (and what not) to do. Thanks!

Just go to your usual inspection place and bring your own set of lift pucks, you can buy them on Amazon for very little money. The car has to be jacked up for the inspection which is why you need the lift pucks, chances are an inspection place won't have them.