Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iPhone Favorites Contact List - Speed Dialing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I just missing this also, or is there no way for the touchscreen to list my favorite contacts list, or let you save a list of numbers for speed dialing.

I haven't had a car that didn't have this feature for 20 years.

A far larger list would also be helpful for XM radio, but clearly not the safety issue that having to scroll through hundreds of iPhone contacts to get the one you need while driving presents.

I don't know if there is a way to list the favorites (don't make too many calls from the car). You can see your recent calls and dial from there. Voice commands are an option as well.

The radio favorites are limited to six, but you can have as many favorites as you want (XM, FM, AM, etc).

Agree that this is another example of weakness in the user interface.

If you plug the iPhone in the charger, Siri responds to voice commands by prefacing with "hey Siri" without requiring a button push. Would that help with this until Tesla provides some sort of solution?

Agree that this is another example of weakness in the user interface.

If you plug the iPhone in the charger, Siri responds to voice commands by prefacing with "hey Siri" without requiring a button push. Would that help with this until Tesla provides some sort of solution?

Perhaps, but Siri doesn't do that well with my voice, for whatever reason. Might help sometimes, and not other times. I still can't believe I have to pick up the phone in a car with a massive touchscreen to make a call. And in some states, that's illegal.

You don't need Siri or the touchscreen, just use the voice command in the car. I never scroll through a contact list, I just hold the voice button on the steering wheel and say "Call Bob Smith" or whatever and it works every time.

Voice command works OK. "Call Cindy Smith" for me will produce a list that includes several other Cindys, a Sandy or two, and an Andy. It's way better than scrolling through 800+ contacts but could be a lot better. My just-sold 9-year old Audi was easier since it stored favorites. We've gotten spoiled by Siri or Google Now interfaces that will connect you with "Cindy Smith mobile" 95% of the time or provide one-click access to favorites. Tesla could do a lot better here and is behind other automakers.

Perhaps, but Siri doesn't do that well with my voice, for whatever reason. Might help sometimes, and not other times. I still can't believe I have to pick up the phone in a car with a massive touchscreen to make a call. And in some states, that's illegal.

That was my point! You don't touch the phone.

(I'm also assuming that the voice control in the car didn't work for you).

I truly don't get this, and it's a big deal for me. I'm constantly being called in the car from the hospital, and having to scroll through 200 speed dial numbers that are very close to each other is ridiculous, and dangerous.

They need to fix this soon.

There's also the issue that doesn't allow you to voice dial a contact without using the screen as well. If I say "Call John Smith" and John Smith has entries in my phone for both mobile and home phone numbers, I have to physically pick one on the screen to dial it. I should be able to just use the voice command to say "Call John Smith Mobile", and have the call placed.

I'm a brand new Model S owner, so if I'm missing something please tell me.

I use the voice command and it generally works great. You do need to touch a button on the screen to initiate the call but it's not a big deal. I find that my favorites are generally my most recent but YMMV.

My point was that if you give the system enough information, you shouldn't have to touch a button on the screen. I have no problem with having to touch a button on the screen if the system couldn't understand you well enough to tell the difference between "John Smith" and John's Myths" or something like that, and needs to put multiple options up for you to decide between. But you should also be able to give it a complete command that would allow it to complete a call, in the form of "Call John Smith Mobile", like other similar software does.

Let me give you an example. I get a call from the OR. There are roughly 30 entries in my phone for ORs. OR 1, OR 2, OR 3, OR Desk, OB OR 1, OB OR2 ..... The important ones I store in my Lexus, and a quick touch of one button on the Nav System touchscreen speed dials the exact number for me. Time looking down - roughly 2 seconds.

Now, it's an impossible task that involves scrolling through 30 numbers, or trying voice recognition which can't handle so many entries that are close to each other, or Siri which misses constantly.

So basically, Lexus has had this right on my 2008 LS, oh and it was right on my 2000 LS, oh yeah, it also worked that way on my 1994 LS. So basically, Lexus had this figured out and its interface was dramatically easier to use FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS!!!!!

The touchscreen needs speed dial buttons (best way), or access the favorites list on your iPhone (2nd best approach). The way it is programmed now is unbelievable antiquated and a dangerous distraction when driving.