Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charging Maine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Robert.Boston

Model S VIN P01536
Maine currently has three HPWCs under Tesla's destination charging program: The Beachmere in Ogunquit and, in Kennebunkport, both the Nonantum Resort and the Yachtsman. It would be great if this program were expanded eastward and northward. For example, the Samoset in Rockport and the Bayview in Bar Harbor.

-- What other hotels would be good options?
-- Do you have any 'hooks' into these locations to help encourage them to contact Tesla?

From Tesla's web site:

How can I charge at my destination?

Tesla is working with hotels, resorts, and other destinations to encourage the installation of High Power Wall Connectors where our customers spend time away from home. If your organization is interested in offering charging to Tesla owners, send us a note here, or email [email protected]

Hi Robert

We pitched these (3) Hotels for Tesla's destination charging program this past summer:

Somoset, Rockland
The Islandview Inn, Rockport
Harborside Spa Hotel & Marina, Bar Harbor

btw, I purchased a (2nd) CRAAZY inexpensive Canadian HPWC a couple of months ago to have at the ready in case we decide to build in Rockport that will I will list on Plugshare.

D&A

Last edited:
I do not know Robert. I will shoot an e-mail to a contact at the Harborside Spa Hotel & Marina to inquire about the status, and if he has any further questions. He stated that he would contact the Somoset (since I advised him that we already talked to them, and I think they are "sister" hotels) manager to work in conjunction on pursuing this Tesla destination charging project. I will report back with any news.

Last edited:
Maine currently has three HPWCs under Tesla's destination charging program: The Beachmere in Ogunquit and, in Kennebunkport, both the Nonantum Resort and the Yachtsman. It would be great if this program were expanded eastward and northward. For example, the Samoset in Rockport and the Bayview in Bar Harbor. -- What other hotels would be good options? -- Do you have any 'hooks' into these locations to help encourage them to contact Tesla? From Tesla's web site:
Not an owner yet (hurry up Model III), but it would be wonderful if the hotels at the destination ski areas could get on board. Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Saddleback. They should be reachable from Boston in good weather, but there's currently no way back without spending a week plugged into a 110 outlet.

After Hookset and Brattleboro go live, Maine is going to feel like the missing Boston spoke. We now know how fast super-chargers go in, and I dare say we have a memory for how long 'Coming Soon' can mean? Portland's CHAdeMO adds salt to a wound left behind by how long the Auburn SC took.

I don't have twin chargers and was up in Maine, New Year's weekend. Already in trouble for switching the usual Freeport, for Portland, hotel (I should have announced that), it became clear to me just how much I was relying upon the single, Fore Street garage charging unit's availability. I've used the (again, single) 14-50, at the Marriott Sable Oaks in the past (Plug Share/Portland), but had reservations I wasn't sure could be cancelled.

We hit the usual spots many of us would, Kittery, Portland, Freeport and, our haunt, Boothbay. FYI, Downtown Boothbay has a 14-50 attached to the public restroom building, steps from the whale boats. I haven't put it on Plugshare because I haven't made contact to be sure its OK. I'll say it, for emergency sake. Friday, I met a member of the town's chamber of commerce, and business owner. I told him the hotel we did use and, more importantly, left him thinking about what we didn't. He implied he would bring charging up with the local chamber.

I'm glad HPWC initiatives are afoot. That takes care of a small sub-set, of a sub-set, of Tesla owners in terms of 58mph charging. At this point, I'd even consider helping crowd fund J1772's, at the major hotels. This state is practically a charging desert. LL Bean, who in fairness I haven't contacted, seems to take such a proactive role in the Freeport retail landscape. Out of what must be close to 1,000 parking spaces, new garage, etc, no charging. There are no J1772's, for miles. Of two local campgrounds, I contacted in the past, both outright refused a reimbursed, daytime hookup to their 14-50's.

I've been doing my part 'spreading the word' in Maine, with EREV and BEV, but I'd put the state in the "on a mission" category for the Tesla. I could make it work, alone, but am not sure we'll be going back as many times, as a family. As much as I try, I can't let that become the mission.

Not an owner yet (hurry up Model III), but it would be wonderful if the hotels at the destination ski areas could get on board. Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Saddleback. They should be reachable from Boston in good weather, but there's currently no way back without spending a week plugged into a 110 outlet.
Good ideas--and welcome to TMC. I'm not an alpine skier (I do nordic), so if others would like to reach out to these hotels, you'd be more credible.

After Hookset and Brattleboro go live, Maine is going to feel like the missing Boston spoke. We now know how fast super-chargers go in, and I dare say we have a memory for how long 'Coming Soon' can mean? Portland's CHAdeMO adds salt to a wound left behind by how long the Auburn SC took.

See my post at New New England Supercharger Locations - Page 58. Salisbury, MA and Augusta, ME are on the way to help with the Maine spoke.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as destination charging, but what I've done when in Maine (well, not just Maine) is charged at a Nissan or Chevy dealer nearby where I was staying. It was a quick jog from the hotel, which meant I even was forced to exercise while on vacation. I spoke to them in advance ensured they were ok with it.

In Maine I had a truly great experience in Auburn at my Bates reunion, down on the cape in the summer of 2013, as well as more times than I can count across VT. Plugshare is your friend.

I do always make sure to speak to the hotel manager and explain the advantages of haven't a charge capability. A B and B I stayed at let me use a 110v to top off, but I did a larger overnight at a J1772 first as I was at 25 rated miles left (this was in Fairlee, VT).

Perhaps we'll see more destination charging under the new bill signed into law last week:
http://www.pressherald.com/2015/04/26/new-maine-law-aims-to-boost-electric-vehicle-charging-stations/

The measure attempts to provide an incentive to other places to implement electric charging stations statewide by allowing the stations to charge for kilowatt usage, among other things.

The bill is LD 593. The only "incentive" is allowing for a per-kWh charge for charging, but this may overcome some place's issues with "giving away free fuel." The head of Portland's municipal parking cited this as a problem in getting charging in the municipal garages here in town, so perhaps this will have some good effect.

A donated charger was offered to the Bangor Airport but the City Council tabled the offer after asking who would pay for the electricity dispensed. Perhaps now they could be more amenable.

How about those who charge pay for the electricity? Next to the charger put a "dropbox" like they have in state parks, with some envelopes to put money into, dropped through a slot in the box, and a sign saying, e.g., "EV charging, $10", or whatever price they want to charge. Frankly, I'd rather have them just put in a $10 NEMA 14-50, as I can charge faster with that than with the 30 amp Clipper Creek chargers that get often get installed.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as destination charging, but what I've done when in Maine (well, not just Maine) is charged at a Nissan or Chevy dealer nearby where I was staying. It was a quick jog from the hotel, which meant I even was forced to exercise while on vacation. I spoke to them in advance ensured they were ok with it.

In Maine I had a truly great experience in Auburn at my Bates reunion, down on the cape in the summer of 2013, as well as more times than I can count across VT. Plugshare is your friend.

I do always make sure to speak to the hotel manager and explain the advantages of haven't a charge capability. A B and B I stayed at let me use a 110v to top off, but I did a larger overnight at a J1772 first as I was at 25 rated miles left (this was in Fairlee, VT).

It's a great day to be a Bobcat!

Not a Supercharger site, but here is some info on the Destination Charger at Chewonki in Wiscasset. The TM Find Us note says "1 Tesla Connector, up to 40A. Available to the public. Please see front desk." But PlugShare lists this site as "Restricted/school access—charger is available to Chwonki students/visiting families". I reached out to the Chewonki facilities manager and received this response

We have 4 chargers total: (2) Eaton Level II 80 amp chargers, (1) 30 amp charger and (1) Tesla 80 amp charger. We are continuing to restrict access since we are a school and a camp and want to be aware of who is around on campus and when. With that said, we are allowing friends of Chewonki including alumni, donors and participant families to use the chargers for free when they are here. In order to be available to greet our guests and answer any questions they might have we are restricting charger use to business hours 8-4 Monday through Friday. There are certain times of year that the chargers may be unavailable for various reasons so its best to call if there is any doubt.

I wholeheartedly agree with their position and respect their concern for safety. The two reference sites technically agree but I would not want someone to get stuck without an anticipated charge because they didn't know the limits and did not call ahead so I also asked TM to acknowledge the restrictions on the Find Us note.
If you have no other ties to Chewonki and need a daytime weekday charge then you know what to do Donate | Chewonki Foundation

I have used the destination charger in Wiscasset several times when visiting Chewonki. A few notes:
1. It is easily reachable from the Auburn supercharger, and reachable from East Greenwich. Also easily reachable from Dedham (when it opens) and Hookset, though I have not done those trips.
2. When I was last there the HPWC was new and charged at 40a. It was connected to a 100a breaker, but the dip switches were set for 40a charging. This has been corrected so it should charge at 80a (240v not 208), but I have not tried it yet.
3. They had two plug-in vehicles of their own when I was last there (May) leaving two available for guests.
4. I'm pretty sure the Eaton chargers are 70a.
5. They have residential youth programs year-round, and therefore the concern with unexpected visitors. Phone or email them in advance - you will be warmly welcomed.
6. No donation required, although if you do charge there and spend time getting to know Chewonki, I am sure it will be added to the list of charitable organizations you support. Even if you will never get to Chewonki, you can support them. :)

"Chewonki is an environmental education organization based in Wiscasset, Maine, that inspires transformative growth, teaches appreciation and stewardship of the natural world, and challenges people to build thriving, sustainable communities throughout their lives."

Their facility has solar, wind, geothermal. They manufacture and use biodiesel and hydrogen. Heat (partially) with wood. Lots more information about sustainability here along with contact information for their sustainability officer: http://www.chewonki.org/pathways/default.asp