Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cape Wind - The first offshore wind farm gets approval

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PopSmith

Saving for a Model 3
Jan 22, 2010
Utah
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/04/breaking-us-approves-first-offshore-wind-farm.php

This caught my eye and though everyone here might like a glance at it. It's about the first offshore wind farm in the States and means that the U.S. is slowly, but surely, moving towards getting their energy from renewable sources.

The biggest points of interest to me were:

...the 450 megawatt, 130 turbine, $900 million Cape Wind project is becoming reality.
and
one study has shown that the United States could meet every last kilowatt of its power demands if offshore wind was properly utilized.

It's about time. The opposition has succeeded in dragging it out long enough. Hopefully the approval will set the stage for similar projects along the eastern coast. I still wonder about the Wampanoag tribe coming out with their statement right at the very end - it just smells fishy, I'd bet the tribe was paid to do that.

CNN also published an article on this today, I got a chuckle out of the title.

The wind man who beat Cape Cod's elite

If the CNN article is accurate I don't see what the big fuss is about, besides the oil industry trying to slow the crumble of their money-making empire:

The 130 turbines, spaced a third- to a half-mile apart, will cover about 25 of the 500 square miles of Nantucket Sound. They will stand more than 40 stories tall and provide up to 75 percent of the power to the Cape and islands.

Honestly, if 25 of 500 square miles, just 5% of the island, is wind mills and creates up to 75% of the power needed at Cape and the surrounding islands I hope they step it up to 50 miles (or more!) and make it so the island puts out more clean and renewable energy then the island needs so the mainland can take advantage of it.

Part of the reason it's taken so long is this:
"He underestimated what powers would come to bear on the other side," Davies said. "It was a much tougher nut to crack than he thought. What it really boils down to is a few really rich local folks don't want it."