Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Rotary Forged Wheels (Complete Set)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

After 3 years looking for a manufacturer that could produce better alternative wheels for the Roadster I took the project in my own hands and it turned out great. Get yourself a great set of wheels may be together with your 3.0 Upgrade.
Nurburgring Front Wheels 17x17.5 - Rear Wheels 18X8
Included
4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
Front 205/45R17 - Rear 235/40ZR18XL 95Y
4 Tesla Roadster Tire Sensors
Installed
20 Wheel bolts 17mm plus tool bar
The shipping rate is a rough guess. Depending from your location it might be more or less.
The Nurburgring is manufactured using a highly advanced production technique called Rotary Forging. The rim of the wheels is forged at high pressure while the wheel is spun at high speed. This alters the molecular structure and enhances the strength of the alloy. The benefit is a much lighter weight than a regular cast wheel. Most importantly, the weight saving is in the outer rim of the wheel which dramatically reduces rotational mass and enhances vehicle performance.
Nurburgring 17 inch w 205/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- - - Weight 39 pounds
Nurburgring 18inch w 235/40ZR18XL 95Y Michelin Pilot Super Sport. - - - Weight 42.5 pounds
We are especially proud to get this big weight reduction in the rear. You will notice this during driving. It really improves road handling as well.
See more information here. Or alternatively order here.
http://www.teslaowners.us/spares/roadster/wheels-set-rotary-forged/roadster-rotary-forged.html
-------------------------------------------------
Please compare to the standard Tesla Stock wheels.
OE Front wheel 16 inch with 195/50R-16 Kumho Ecsta 4X (low weight and roll resistant), this tire was good for efficiency, but not so good for performance. Tire weight 18 lbs. - - - Weight 38 pounds
OE Rear wheel 17 inch with 225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - - - Weight 48 pounds

List Date: 12/30/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Roadster Rotary Forged Wheels (Complete Set)
--------------------------------------
On Sale For: $4,695.00

buynowbutton.png
tesla-motors-club.gif

FU2DsVAQNqv8.jpg
mkvdKJfYyEPp.jpg
BvTHsr5tZwRu.jpg
Kcaudy3em7fy.jpg
W3kfCQCmtE0u.jpg
fRzgwk2U3JhG.jpg
CwPCjXXs3RRt.jpg

What's the RPM (Rotation Per Mile) for the front and back. Just letting others know this won't work on the 1.5 unless the RPM matches stock otherwise it throws a TC error. They look great. However they're way too expensive unless there's something special about this set I just don't see. Can you describe what it is?

The highest I've seen for these are $390 for a rim for a 19" with free shipping. I understand tpms and tires come with it, but it still seems very high since the 2.x's can learn the new rotation of the rim/tire combination. I just don't see that value. Its the 1.5's that are the one's that are delicate. But if you get the RPMs right matched with a good sticky tire then you're set:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matte...-gunmetal-nurburing-19x9-0512-FPReplacementV1

Last edited:
RPM Question

What's the RPM (Rotation Per Mile) for the front and back. Just letting others know this won't work on the 1.5 unless the RPM matches stock otherwise it throws a TC error. They look great. However they're way too expensive unless there's something special about this set I just don't see. Can you describe what it is?

The highest I've seen for these are $390 for a rim for a 19" with free shipping. I understand tpms and tires come with it, but it still seems very high since the 2.x's can learn the new rotation of the rim/tire combination. I just don't see that value. Its the 1.5's that are the one's that are delicate. But if you get the RPMs right matched with a good sticky tire then you're set:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/matte...-gunmetal-nurburing-19x9-0512-FPReplacementV1

" I drove this Roadster for a week or without getting any error. However I forwarded the question to the manufacturer. The price is pretty high, because they machine and assemble the wheel in-house. I guess if they would have been produced in China then they might be quite cheaper. This product is manufactured in the USA. It comes with TPMS, the best possible tires on all wheels, ready to use. We wanted to make it so easy as possible. Now you can get it cheaper if you want. We can install Kuhomo tires. No TMPS ( you can use your existing) I could also ask for the rims without anything. Would you be interest or are we just having a discussion?

===== Answer of manufacturer =====

After 3 years looking for a manufacturer that could produce better alternative wheels for the Roadster I took the project in my own hands and it turned out great. Get yourself a great set of wheels may be together with your 3.0 Upgrade.
Nurburgring Front Wheels 17x17.5 - Rear Wheels 18X8
Included
4 Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
Front 205/45R17 - Rear 235/40ZR18XL 95Y
4 Tesla Roadster Tire Sensors
Installed
20 Wheel bolts 17mm plus tool bar
The shipping rate is a rough guess. Depending from your location it might be more or less.
The Nurburgring is manufactured using a highly advanced production technique called Rotary Forging. The rim of the wheels is forged at high pressure while the wheel is spun at high speed. This alters the molecular structure and enhances the strength of the alloy. The benefit is a much lighter weight than a regular cast wheel. Most importantly, the weight saving is in the outer rim of the wheel which dramatically reduces rotational mass and enhances vehicle performance.
Nurburgring 17 inch w 205/45R17 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
- - - Weight 39 pounds
Nurburgring 18inch w 235/40ZR18XL 95Y Michelin Pilot Super Sport. - - - Weight 42.5 pounds
We are especially proud to get this big weight reduction in the rear. You will notice this during driving. It really improves road handling as well.
See more information here. Or alternatively order here.
Roadster Rotary Forged Wheels | tesla owners. us | Rolf Lohr
-------------------------------------------------
Please compare to the standard Tesla Stock wheels.
OE Front wheel 16 inch with 195/50R-16 Kumho Ecsta 4X (low weight and roll resistant), this tire was good for efficiency, but not so good for performance. Tire weight 18 lbs. - - - Weight 38 pounds
OE Rear wheel 17 inch with 225/45ZR-17 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - - - Weight 48 pounds

List Date: 12/29/2014

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Roadster Rotary Forged Wheels (Complete Set)
On Sale For: $4,295.00 + $400.00 Shipping

buynowbutton.png
tesla-motors-club.gif

FU2DsVAQNqv8.jpg
mkvdKJfYyEPp.jpg
BvTHsr5tZwRu.jpg
Kcaudy3em7fy.jpg
W3kfCQCmtE0u.jpg
fRzgwk2U3JhG.jpg
CwPCjXXs3RRt.jpg

Mobile friendly version: Roadster Rotary Forged Wheels (Complete Set)
=========================
Specs for OE new factory tires
175/55r16 23.579
225/45r17 24.972
1.393 difference at full tread depth

Now Tesla has plenty of wiggle room as they have factored in worn out tires on 1 end and new tread dept on the other end will NOT throw a code.

This means at 11/32 new tread depth the worn tire with be a total of .69 shorter.

This gives as an example
175/55r16 23.579 worn out is 22.889
225/45r17 24.972 new
2.083 difference will NOT throw a code

OR

175/55r16 new 23.579
225/45r17 worn out 24.282
.703 difference!! Will NOT throw a code

You have run theses for years with no issues
195/50r16 23.677
225/45r17 24.972
1.295 difference

THIS PACKAGE is
205/45r17 24.264
235/40r18 25.402

So as long as you are between .703 and 2.083 you will not have any issues! So instead of him letting others know of something not true he can now commend you for the nice package you have installed on your Tesla Roadster making it look updated, drive better in addition to the weight savings!! And better mileage distance to boot!!
===========================================================

- - - Updated - - -

I talked to the manufacturer in regards to pricing: There is a deduction of $ 220 deduction per set if we are getting a combined order of 5 sets (prepaid), because the must be machined at the same time. They do have a manufacturing location in CA as well. This will reduce the shipping costs. Or some of them could pick the set up from the CA location directly. You could use cheap tires as well. This might save your a maximum of $ 800 I guess. You can use your existing TMPS this will save you $ 200. We want to offer the best set available. These tires Michelin are using for the P85 as well and the have great ratings. It is up to you where you want to save. I did not save on anything, because I wanted a better set than the factory can offer. Especially when I look at the new 3.0 package that is coming out in 2015.

Last edited:
These wheels are from the same company that powder coated my 2.0 silver forged wheels satin black. This is a solid company. They know their stuff and do great work. In fact, I believe the Scottsdale service center sends them Model S rims to repair so they are familiar with Tesla - and clearly familiar now with the Roadster.

I love the look of these rims and it's great to have more options!

saprolf, maybe if you get a quote for just the rims, it will make the cost a bit better. I'm sure owners can save some money by keeping the existing TPMS and having the tires installed and balanced locally.

I know I tried organizing a group buy for these back in 8/2014. There was some interest but it kind of died out, so I let it go and just powder coated instead.

Now that we have one set fabricated and installed, it might be a good option for others.

Pics and rims look great!

Dear all Roadster Owners.

Here is the newest picture of my Roadster. I added yellow wheel bands. I am very happy with performance and traction.
Please have a look for yourself. If you want these rims cheeper you can also select another set of tires instead of Michelin.
I might also talk to the manufacture to get at least $ 200 off if purchased in bulks.

Cheers, Rolf
roadsteryellowwheelbands.jpg

Bart,

Look at the Tesla forged tires on their website. $3200 only for the set of 4 wheels. No tires, no TMPS, no tools. This set is overall cheaper as the set from Tesla. And this set is bigger and wider. You might be able to just buy the wheels. Do you want me to check with the manufacturer. Our intension was to offer a complete set where the customer does not have to care for anything expect put the rims on and press the new tires button.