Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Elon Musk says new SUV model due in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love comments like these:

Vaporware – their finances are a train wreck. I’ll be surprised if the S ever ends up in the hands of customers. By the time they come to market Ford, Toyota, GM, Nissan, and Fiat will all have ICEs or pure electrics on the market, all at a lower price point. Agree with twotone – get payment up front.

By the time they come to market Ford, Toyota, GM, Nissan, and Fiat will all have ICEs

You think?

I recall similar comments when Roadster was under development. If I had the time I'd write a book on TM and include an entire chapter or appendix on some of the "better" comments.

Just looking at the cars, and the one featured car component, shown near the top of the main page should give to you some idea the disposition of the website. Could they be ... living in the past?

Just wondering.

I of course agree that that specific comment was stupid, but I do sense a change. Especially in places like TTAC which was/is essentially a gathering point for Tesla-haters. Hardly anyone says vapourware any more and most of the critics are playing up something I think is irrelevant but it is an actual issue. Which is a contrast to how it was before the Roadster was in teh hands of customers, when most of the critics in places like TTAC was plain wrong and stupid. In many ways Tesla has already done a great deal for EVs in general and Tesla in particular.

To keep this slightly on-topic I though the idea of the IPO silence was that Tesla shouldn't be making statements about the future like Musk just did?

Cobos

I think Tesla Motors will be able to deliver an SUV by that time frame because they are planning to use the Model S platform as a base for a proposed coupe and SUV and maybe a mini van. I think Tesla's future models are riding on the success of the Model S program.

Some cool/interesting tidbits from the video:

@~1:24 - Concerning Model X - "I'm hopeful we'll unveil a prototype towards the end of next year".

@~2:34 "What do batteries cost? Is it close to the $6-$700/kWh range?"
Answer (Starts @2:45): "A Tesla battery pack is substantially less than that but we can't comment on exact numbers but it's much less than that."

@~3:15 Musk mentions that while the Roadster contains slightly modified laptop cells, the Model S cells are "highly modified" and "the internals are quite different".

I know it's not official yet but "Model X", as a name, sounds rather boring and bland like most SUVs. :tongue:

Other (non-Tesla) "X" models:

Zap-X (based on Lotus AP-X concept):
http://www.zapworld.com/zap-x-electric-crossover-suv-sports-utility-vehicle
zap-x-crossover_0.jpg

BMW Model-X:
http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/07/10/rumormill-bmw-looking-at-a-new-x-model-x-style/
x4-front11_blog1-655x436.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_X-Type

Last edited:
Ugh. Skip the SUV and do a wagon / estate car first. Safer, more drive-able, more cargo room, would have more range, and can probably be done off the Model S platform with little modification. A wagon with 400 mile range, and we'd be able to ditch the oil burner.

Ugh. Skip the SUV and do a wagon / estate car first. Safer, more drive-able, more cargo room, would have more range, and can probably be done off the Model S platform with little modification. A wagon with 400 mile range, and we'd be able to ditch the oil burner.
The thing is, an SUV is likely to sell much better. That's why even Audi (which was pushing station wagons for very long) gave in and joined the SUV market. The only negative of the SUV is probably aero (weight also, but EVs are not as affected by weight), but there are probably ways to tweak it to be better.

The thing is, an SUV is likely to sell much better. That's why even Audi (which was pushing station wagons for very long) gave in and joined the SUV market. The only negative of the SUV is probably aero (weight also, but EVs are not as affected by weight), but there are probably ways to tweak it to be better.

I'm curious how a Tesla SUV will compare to the RAV4 that Tesla is helping build. Will Tesla build a bigger SUV? Or just longer range? If the Toyota is only 100 miles, then I'm sure the differentiator will be that the Tesla will likely have a 200+ mile option.

I'm looking forward to the day when we have a handful of interesting EVs to choose from to meet different peoples needs/desires. I'd love to be debating between a Model S, Model X, Toyota RAV4 etc for a people/stuff hauler to go with my Roadster in 2015 or so.

While I think "Model X" will be more like a crossover (think Audi A6 Allroad), find this funny:

4:09 Q: Does this put competitive pressure on Tesla?
4:12 A: No.....(making absolutely confident face)