Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want Trunk Lights to turn on using the ambient light button on the touch screen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohaq

Model S #P9,326
Apr 20, 2012
Michigan
I want Trunk Lights to turn on using the ambient light button on the touch screen. I don't think making the existing lights work with the button would be simple so it makes sense to run wires from the rear passenger doors light to the trunk and install new led lights. I am just wondering if it is as simple as doing that? I will still have to figure out how and where to run the wires from so everything is hidden.

Reason to do it: I've got child seat in the back and tinted windows it gets really dark. I searched the forum and found people changing the lights or attaching a second light by running wires from the the existing trunk lights.

Currently we have a portable led torch light in the back which I turn on. the kids play with it and then fight with each other. If i forget the light in the back or forget to replace the battery then I sometimes just turn on one of the passenger Dome lights.

Any help or any threads i should look at that would help me do this?

Thinking about it more, it seems to me that I will need the lights turned on at night mostly, so if the light were connected to the break lights that might work out too. I know there are instructions for the rear lighted T. I think that would be simpler. I need to go through these instructions and just try this unless someone else has already done it using ambient button.

Thinking about it more, it seems to me that I will need the lights turned on at night mostly, so if the light were connected to the break lights that might work out too. I know there are instructions for the rear lighted T. I think that would be simpler. I need to go through these instructions and just try this unless someone else has already done it using ambient button.

You probably want the running lights not tail lights. I taped into the rear license plate lights for the rear lighted T. That's easy to do.

You probably want the running lights not tail lights. I taped into the rear license plate lights for the rear lighted T. That's easy to do.

Interesting, Yes i meant the running lights also. Thanks for your suggestion using the license plate lights makes sense as well. I might just do that. If I was an expert like Rick (artsci) I would have done it using the ambient buttons that is what i really want.

Something is better than nothing.