Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ & P85D side-by-side test in Orange County

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a P85+ and am considering the upgrade to P85D. Seeing as there is a lot of debate and controversy over just how many more miles a P85+ will run vs a P85D, I wanted to see if anyone with a P85D would like to go out for a side-by-side comparison run in OC with me. Maybe we could get a couple more P85+ and P85D together and make it more "scientific" (ie average the individual cars).

I figure if we did 100+ miles, all driving in the same conditions, we would pretty much put the issue to rest. Anyone up for it?

I've got a P85+ and am considering the upgrade to P85D. Seeing as there is a lot of debate and controversy over just how many more miles a P85+ will run vs a P85D, I wanted to see if anyone with a P85D would like to go out for a side-by-side comparison run in OC with me. Maybe we could get a couple more P85+ and P85D together and make it more "scientific" (ie average the individual cars).

I figure if we did 100+ miles, all driving in the same conditions, we would pretty much put the issue to rest. Anyone up for it?

As mentioned extensively in the other threads, this is not a good test. You would have to swap wheels and tires and do multiple controlled tests, like on a racetrack.

It would be considerably better than the only tests we have so far, which have been either P85Ds on their own vs. anecdotal recollection, or, at best, a P85D vs. P85.

What a back-to-back comparison to a P85+ would get us is the same size, brand, and make of tire. Sure, wear matters too, but so does alignment and we can't control for that. But this would be a significant step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Alignment, rims, tires, and tire pressure should be the same for the test to be accurate
Number of drivers and load in both cars should be close as well
No drafting and use cruise control
:)

P.S. There might be a big variable depending on which highway speed you pick for your test

Last edited:
Um, shouldn't the difference be night and day? The way you guys make it seem with all those qualifiers is that they really aren't different at all.

---updated---

jumped the gun. Didn't realize the test was for efficiency numbers. Makes sense.

Last edited: