Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stuck after sitting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an interesting experience when trying to drive my tesla for the first time after having it sit in my garage for 8 days when out on vacation. I put the car into Drive and with creep on, it did not go anywhere. I thought creep was off, but it was engaged. I gave the accelerator a little nudge and then heard a loud pop, at which point the car started rolling forward and seemed to be engaged correctly.

It almost seemed as though the brake pads were stuck to the rotors after sitting for over a week (was raining on the last day I drove it). Has anyone else experienced this before? There also seemed to be a bit of creaking going on in the first drive out after letting it sit.

Appears to be a common case of surface rust build-up on the rotor after having wet brakes sitting for a while. As you wear away the rust with some brake applications, the creaking and stickiness should go away.

I had an interesting experience when trying to drive my tesla for the first time after having it sit in my garage for 8 days when out on vacation. I put the car into Drive and with creep on, it did not go anywhere. I thought creep was off, but it was engaged. I gave the accelerator a little nudge and then heard a loud pop, at which point the car started rolling forward and seemed to be engaged correctly.

It almost seemed as though the brake pads were stuck to the rotors after sitting for over a week (was raining on the last day I drove it). Has anyone else experienced this before? There also seemed to be a bit of creaking going on in the first drive out after letting it sit.

Happens to me a lot and scares the crap out of me every time

Only noticed that after driving in wet conditions ... thought that the disk not getting warm enough to dry while driving since I drive mostly w/o using them ..

Is it possible to park in NEUTRAL so the eBrake remains loose? Chances are your garage is level so no eBrake is really needed. You could screw some 1x wood pieces to the floor in the ideal parking spot to keep car from rolling, say if someone leaned on it. The wood would make parking easier too.

If it can't be done, then you could try to put it in TOW MODE each time.
--

Well, not in my 30+ years of driving experience. I have it big time in the Model S. Sometimes I have to apply so much power that I'm concerned about how fast I'll shoot out of the garage when the brakes do finally break free.

+1 I've never experienced this on any other cars I've owned in my lifetime. I will say that hearing so many other people say that it is normal and occurs on other cars makes me feel a lot better though. I too sometimes have to give it more pedal than creep provides and get a little nervous about what's going to happen right before they pop loose (slingshot!!). Mine often don't pop loose at the same time either so it's almost like crunching through frozen snow or something. :cool:

Happens with my P85 and my wife's Prius all the time but only rarely with my prior ICE cars with Bembro brakes (usually after washing a cold car and then letting it sit for a day).. I think that with regen and hardly touching the brakes during routine driving, when you come in from the rain in a MS the discs aren't warm enough to evaporate the water, whereas on most ICE cars just routine driving probably heats up the discs enough to evaporate any remaining water.

Those of you with a FLIR scanner could compare the temperature of the discs on your MS after routine driving to the discs of an ICE car after a similar route. Probably quite different.

Well, not in my 30+ years of driving experience. I have it big time in the Model S. Sometimes I have to apply so much power that I'm concerned about how fast I'll shoot out of the garage when the brakes do finally break free.

Same here. My wife often sees me off to work and she's jumped from the sound of it. If I hadn't read about it here before getting my car, I'd think something was wrong with the car.

+1 I've never experienced this on any other cars I've owned in my lifetime. I will say that hearing so many other people say that it is normal and occurs on other cars makes me feel a lot better though. I too sometimes have to give it more pedal than creep provides and get a little nervous about what's going to happen right before they pop loose (slingshot!!). Mine often don't pop loose at the same time either so it's almost like crunching through frozen snow or something. :cool:

It's common on cars that don't use the brakes much or that have highly reactive rotors. It's almost not possible on cars with inboard brakes (DS-21). With the Land-Rover you were lucky to have brakes at all--let alone have them stick.