Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85+ owners, are you disappointed in P85D steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not an owner (yet) nor have I driven a D model. But currently being in the BMW family I am very tuned into steering feel. Is it possible that the steering feel/weight selection has been removed because at some settings the torque steer was becoming evident? And is the steering selection removed ONLY for a D, or is it now all models?

I'm not the least bit disappointed. But then again I left my P85+ in "Normal" (middle) steering mode. I'm not a big fan of artificially "tight" steering that only makes it harder to turn the wheel without any corresponding increase in road feel. And that's how I felt about the "Sport" steering mode in my P85+.

I find the P85D to be somewhere between Normal and Sport modes on the old P85+.

Mike

Coming from a P85 of two years on "Sport" steering, I don't find the P85D steering weight to be a problem. So much has changed in the suspension setup, drive geometry, weigh distribution, and tires that steering weight is the least noteworthy change. Overall, I find the P85D to more nimble. Feels like a much smaller, sportier car.

Coming from a P85 of two years on "Sport" steering, I don't find the P85D steering weight to be a problem. So much has changed in the suspension setup, drive geometry, weigh distribution, and tires that steering weight is the least noteworthy change. Overall, I find the P85D to more nimble. Feels like a much smaller, sportier car.

Great to know. Thank you sir.

I don't exactly qualify because I didn't own a P85, but I drove one pretty hard and I think the P85D steering response is superior to the P85 in sport mode. I think sport mode was the best of the options in the P85, but it still badly understeered and felt more floaty than the D, despite a heavier steering response. I'd say that the changes in the geometry reduced the need for the artificially heavy sport mode. There is definitely some torque steer/understeer coming off the apex of hard corners on the P85D, but I think it is clearly more responsive and nimble than the P85 was.

I don't exactly qualify because I didn't own a P85, but I drove one pretty hard and I think the P85D steering response is superior to the P85 in sport mode. I think sport mode was the best of the options in the P85, but it still badly understeered and felt more floaty than the D, despite a heavier steering response. I'd say that the changes in the geometry reduced the need for the artificially heavy sport mode. There is definitely some torque steer/understeer coming off the apex of hard corners on the P85D, but I think it is clearly more responsive and nimble than the P85 was.

Nice description. Thanks.

I've been driving my P85+ in sport mode for 1.5 years. Due to the weather I haven't had a chance to push my D in the turns yet, but at low speeds it feels like normal, which I don't like. I don't however notice any difference at highway speeds. After a couple of days it's bothering me less, but I still prefer the old setup.

We put 22,000 miles on our P85+ in Sport Mode.
P85D's steering feels a bit firmer than Normal in the old P85+ but softer than Sport. Really well dialed in, so I don't miss anything about the old car even a tiny bit. Actually, I do miss one thing - its range. :-D