Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JEA Downtown office building has DC Fast Electric Vehicle Charger installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JEA (Electric and Water service utility for Jacksonville FL) is installing a DC Fast Electric Vehicle Charger unit for public use at 21 West Church Street at the JEA Tower building. It is on the East side on the brick parking area.

They started installation on the 15th of December and should be done in a few weeks. I'll check on it on Monday (29th) to see if it is operational and report back here.

JEA received the station for free from a vehicle manufacturer that sells battery powered cars. Anyone with an industry standard EV connection can use the station to charge their car/battery for a $3.50 flat rate. This covers the electricity that the unit will use and the credit card fee. The $3.50 charge is based on an average kwh per charge of 45 kwh (and credit card fee).

The charger is equipped with two charging options (Plugs):
1. A Combo Coupler (variant of the J1772 connector)
2. And CHAdeMO

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3303014,-81.6568792,99m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://jea.com/Ways_to_Save/Go_Green/Plug-in_Electric_Vehicles.aspx

Interesting, but until a CHAdeMO adapter comes out for Tesla, we won't be able to use it.

I believe Tesla is on the record as having no plans for Combo charger ever.

With the easing of patent enforcement and the accelaration in Superchargers expansion, it appears that Tesla is very serious about making Tesla's charging port the de facto standard, at least in North America. Recently the number DC fast charging points for Superchargers surpassed CHAdeMO in North America.

Since CHAdeMO was an established "standard" in Japan it was necessary for Tesla to offer an adapter in that market. However, it appears that there are various flavors of the CHAdeMO "standard" and that testing each version is taking Tesla a bit of time before releasing the adapter here. For whatever reason they are obviously not in a hurry to release it in North America.

I believe that Tesla's position regarding a SAE Combo adapter is that will provide an adapter IF there are sufficient combo installations to warrant the effort. At the rate that Supercharger expansion is proceeding in comparison to other competing specifications, I'm guessing that Tesla is hoping an SAE combo adapter will never be needed.

Larry

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the charger. It does not look like it is in service yet.

20141229_121941.jpg
20141229_122047.jpg

Here is the JEA electric vehicle plugged into another different charger.
20141229_121807.jpg
20141229_121829.jpg

Thanks for posting the fast charger - couple of points for clarification:
The fee is $3.50 for 30 minutes. The charger is a 50 KW charger (480 volts) so will deliver 25 kWh over 30 minutes to a Tesla when the day comes Tesla ships a CHAdeMo adapter
For now the combo connector is not enabled - this connector will eventually allow the BMW i3 to connect
The charger is operational and testing with Leaf complete.
Greenlots is the network provider - their app can be downloaded on smartphone
EV signage is on the way and will also paint one spot for ev charging only
The Level 2 charger next to the JEA Volt is not public, it is for the JEA Fleet Volt only