Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and run of my brand new p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the car less than week now and had someone hit my car. I had the car parked while running some errands, came back and noticed that the car had some scratches and some dirt on the back of the car. I cleaned off the dirt and some of the paint went with it. The finish of the paint scuffed up and multiple chips of paint were the main damage. Not sure whether there was more damage or not. I was parked outside of a bank and ask if they had security footage of the parking lot. They did but would not release unless I talked to the police. Contacted the local police, they ran me in circles. Told me they would only review the video if I had visual evidence of the vehicle that hit me, (ei the security video from the bank.) Hope it doesn't cost to much to repair. I'm more annoyed that someone hit my car and didn't leave a note.

So disturbing. Had the same thing happen to me and a BMW 750il I had in the past. Left the car parked in a restaraunt parkinglot, while wife and I were dining inside. Came out later and noticed about $3k in damage to drivers door.....dented in and scraped.

They did but would not release unless I talked to the police. Contacted the local police, they ran me in circles. Told me they would only review the video if I had visual evidence of the vehicle that hit me, (ei the security video from the bank.)

LOL. Sorry, couldn't resist commenting on the stupidity.

Seriously now, I hope that the damage won't set you back too much. Very unfortunate.

I've had the car less than week now and had someone hit my car. I had the car parked while running some errands, came back and noticed that the car had some scratches and some dirt on the back of the car. I cleaned off the dirt and some of the paint went with it. The finish of the paint scuffed up and multiple chips of paint were the main damage. Not sure whether there was more damage or not. I was parked outside of a bank and ask if they had security footage of the parking lot. They did but would not release unless I talked to the police. Contacted the local police, they ran me in circles. Told me they would only review the video if I had visual evidence of the vehicle that hit me, (ei the security video from the bank.) Hope it doesn't cost to much to repair. I'm more annoyed that someone hit my car and didn't leave a note.

Yes, it's nuts that the bank is taking that stance.

I'd press them on that. I'm not sure what "talk to the police means"...I wouldn't expect the police to demand the video. That's a legal nightmare. The bank should just do the right thing.

Yes, it's nuts that the bank is taking that stance.

I'd press them on that. I'm not sure what "talk to the police means"...I wouldn't expect the police to demand the video. That's a legal nightmare. The bank should just do the right thing.

what it means is the bank person he talked to is either worried about the legal liability of giving someone access to the video or just doesn't even know how to review the video and doesn't want to show ignorance or bother to ask for technical help unless they are forced to.

All in all I'd be asking to speak to their manager and push up the chain until you get a copy of the video or a written response as to what it takes to get the video. I'd also make it clear to my insurance company ASAP so that they can request the video before it gets discarded/overwritten.

Odd week for hit and runs. Lady hit the back of my car then took off....I mean how stupid do you have to be to take off.....she didn't even stop for the cops. And to make it worse she was in a crappy Dodge Neon with a awful aftermarket rear spoiler.

004.JPG
005.JPG

Very painful.
A couple of years ago, on the DAY that I picked up a new BMW from the dealership, I park at a lakeshore cafe for lunch, and come back to this.
IMAG0121.jpg

Someone felt they needed to "pull in as far as possible", until they hit the car ahead of them, to know that they were "parked".
Not a day old.
It's not like it's horrible damage (scratches on front bumper), but come on, on the FIRST DAY!

Also, no info on the other party: nobody showed up, and I wasn't going to wait for hours.

-- Greg

Just the other day I came to my car and saw that the drivers door has this HUGE dent and scrape... from the looks of it the car parked beside slammed there door into mine and then had to get out and forcefully pull their door 'out'... and this is with me parking out of the way.

Sigh... bound to happen when the D gets here... people have no respect for others' property.

Sorry to hear about your car OP... hope its gets sorted without too much of hit to your wallet.

My p85 got backed into in a parking lot by a truck with a trailer hitch post receiver earlier this year. No note. Just this lovely square cut out of my front bumper.

20140319_162708.jpg

I don't normally look at my passenger side bumper so sadly I don't know when it happened and missed the event on my Dash recorder, because it got recorded over.

My p85 got backed into in a parking lot by a truck with a trailer hitch post receiver earlier this year. No note. Just this lovely square cut out of my front bumper.

View attachment 67265

I don't normally look at my passenger side bumper so sadly I don't know when it happened and missed the event on my Dash recorder, because it got recorded over.

Yikes. How many days was it until you eventually noticed? Thinking maybe I should get a bigger SD card for my dashcam...

OHEMGHEE!!! I would be so pissed!!! :mad:

Very painful.
A couple of years ago, on the DAY that I picked up a new BMW from the dealership, I park at a lakeshore cafe for lunch, and come back to this.
View attachment 67246
Someone felt they needed to "pull in as far as possible", until they hit the car ahead of them, to know that they were "parked".
Not a day old.
It's not like it's horrible damage (scratches on front bumper), but come on, on the FIRST DAY!

Also, no info on the other party: nobody showed up, and I wasn't going to wait for hours.

-- Greg

Yep. Had my brand new S85 for less than a month before I discovered a ding in my drivers door clearly from someone else opening their door into it. And while it was only about $100 to fix, it is the total lack of respect for other people's property that really grates me in situations like that.

I hope you get the bank video, OP. Whoever did that to you needs to pay.