Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Dakota to Montana Gap: Anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to take a trip from Omaha to Yellowstone this summer and there is a gap in SuperChargers between west SD and the Montana SCs that will get you to Yellowstone. Anyone know of anything going on with SCs in this gap? Thanks in advance...

I need Gilette and Sheridan too. Have been planning a trip from Oregon to Chicago area for next May since I got my car in Jan 13. If I can't drive, I need to start making plane reservations. I really need to know if those chargers will be in. Help Tesla!

I'm planning a trip to Custer, SD in May from the Seattle area, so this section is pretty important. I sent an email to the Supercharger Team on Dec 21st asking about the Sheridan and Gillette locations and received the following reply "We are very motivated to build the final few Superchargers to connect I-90 to our cross-country route. Our Site Developers are actively scouting locations in both of those locales and these sites are a priority for our team.". The reply is not very reasurring that the Sheridan and Gillette locations are coming anytime soon.

I have done alot of research on how to get through this section and found that there are two KOA campgrounds, one outside Sheridan and the other in Buffalo, along with a free to use J1772 outside Gillette if you want to take the I-90 route. Another option would be to take Highway 212 between Rapid City and Billings with a stop at the Wayside RV park outside Broadbus. Regardless of the route you probably need to plan your stops so you make an overnight stay at one of these locations to gain enough charge to make it to a supercharger.

Edgewood Dome,
Thank you for all the information. I am not traveling for six months or so, so maybe I can continue to hope. This seems very important to link the two sections of I90, so maybe it will be a priority.

I emailed the building department for the city of Sheridan, WY today asking if a permit had been applied for. The response was "There had been some discussion regarding this project, but as of yet we have not received an application.". I guess we can ping them every few weeks. I have noticed on the tesla motors revamped web site they show a coming soon grey marker about where Sheridan is located and there are not many other locations suitablle in that stretch. We really need Gillette, WY as well. Anyone needing these please email the supercharger team at tesla expressing they need to finish this section before they add another dozen to california.

Edgewood Dome,
Thanks. I sent an email:
Dear SupC Team,
Please fill in the gap of SuperChargers (SupCs) on I90 between South Dakota and Montana. I am from Omaha and plan to take a long trip in my Model S this summer, going from Omaha (I can get to I90) to Yellowstone (and maybe beyond) and would not like to have Wyoming be a place I run out of energy or have find a place or two where I have to be there for eight hours. I may go all the way to Portland, down to Frisco area, then back on I80 then I70 to Topeka and then up to home base. There is a gap for I80 across Nevada that seems to be disappearing as we speak and I am hopeful Nevada I80 will have SupC passage in the near future. (Thanks for getting that stretched worked on.)
Thank you so much for all the hard work you do.

I hope they can make a couple (or so) in Wyoming that make that 190 a SupC corridor...

I did get a reply from the SupC team. It would seem the more of us that request this gap to be filled, the more likely we are to get it sooner. Please contact the SupC tear (email address above) about this section if you would be using it!

> Our Site Developers are actively scouting locations and these sites are a priority . . [SuperCharger Team]

th-3.jpeg

--

The new Tesla projection shows one SupC in Sheridan (and I would assume that one will go in near Gilette down the road), but anyone have any idea when the Sheridan SupC might happen? Rapid City to Sheridan is 243 mi, so going 65 might be doable...

I did get a reply from the SupC team. It would seem the more of us that request this gap to be filled, the more likely we are to get it sooner. Please contact the SupC tear (email address above) about this section if you would be using it!

Here is my letter sent today,

Dear Supercharger site location Team,
I am super impressed at the progress the Team made this year with Supercharging the I 90 route across the great state of Montana. I am writing you to see if more progress could be focused on The Wyoming section between Billings, MT and Rapid City, SD. With Sheridan, WY and Gillette, WY, to the East and Coeur D Alene to the West, a new world record could be set from coast to coast being much shorter than LA, to New York. I could also visit family in Michigan, and it would save me Two extra days of overnight charging in Broadus, MT on the way to "The Sound Of Silence Tesla Road Rally in the Black Hills of South Dakota mid May. Last year there were 10 cars in the Rally, this year there are over 40 Model S signed up! Many are coming across I 90 and would love to have Supercharging available the whole trip this year.

Thank you again for all that you are doing and continue to do to make owning a Tesla product the best car owning experience ever!

Sincerely,
Dr. Gary Guest
Bozeman, MT

Thanks, DrGuest. I used your previous posts to make a reservation in Driggs late this spring to visit Yellowstone and will be stopping at the Distillery to charge there, probably following your path in the park and to Jackson Hole and back. So thanks for that, too.

Thanks, DrGuest. I used your previous posts to make a reservation in Driggs late this spring to visit Yellowstone and will be stopping at the Distillery to charge there, probably following your path in the park and to Jackson Hole and back. So thanks for that, too.

@MSEV - Thanks it's great to know I could be of assistance somehow. That trip to Jackson via Driggs really is some Spectacular Beauty!

Here is the letter I just got a couple hours after sending and email to the Site Team per the email listed in previous posts:
Dear Dr. Guest,

Thank you for your email. We’re so glad you’re enjoying your Model S! We are actively scouting for locations along I-90, with the intention of connecting to our cross-country route. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Best regards,
The Tesla Supercharger Team