Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

apparently one word makes a HUGE difference to some people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just came from the Culver City Supercharger, and 5 of the 12 stalls were ICEd, parked in front of red signs saying: "Tesla - Electric Vehicle Parking" ... I spoke with 3 of them when they returned to their cars, approaching in a very non-confrontational manner, intending to educate rather than harass or shame them, and all three gave the EXACT same response, albeit with varying degrees of hostility: "it doesn't say Teslas ONLY" ... I can't quite decide if people are really that literal, or simply that stupid, but perhaps Tesla should reword their signs to avoid any "confusion" in the future

I just came from the Culver City Supercharger, and 5 of the 12 stalls were ICEd, parked in front of red signs saying: "Tesla - Electric Vehicle Parking" ... I spoke with 3 of them when they returned to their cars, approaching in a very non-confrontational manner, intending to educate rather than harass or shame them, and all three gave the EXACT same response, albeit with varying degrees of hostility: "it doesn't say Teslas ONLY" ... I can't quite decide if people are really that literal, or simply that stupid, but perhaps Tesla should reword their signs to avoid any "confusion" in the future

The proper word is TOWED, at the owners expense!

I think the signs need to say "Tesla only" and "will be towed" as well.

We think electric, but the masses don't understand the vital nature of the charging station. Educating the public one by one is not realistically going to solve the problem. The best thing to do is to have very good signage. Also, we should mark the pavement too.

Also, we should mark the pavement too.

they say ... (whover "they" are) ... "that a picture is worth a thousand words" ... it seems some people respond to symbols better than written word ... the best example is the blue handicapped spots with the stick-figure of the dude in a wheelchair, and everybody seems to understand that ... (as an aside, my all-time favorite example of this phenomenon can be seen on the UC Berkeley campus ... they have parking spots there labeled with "NL" because they have so many Nobel Laureates there, and they're rewarded with prime parking) ... we need a standardized, probably green, "EV Parking Only" symbol

I don't understand why it says "Parking" instead of "Charging". If a Tesla was just parking there, it would still be a problem. You would just be getting ICEd by an EV instead.

Or maybe, this is because Tesla refuses to use standardized signage.

We can't get upset at anyone who parks in a supercharger stall until Tesla decides to use the same type of signage used by the rest of the world. The Tesla signage is intentionally vague, misleading, and unenforceable.

This is 100% Tesla's mistake.

I'm thinking it's a different amount of compromise in each of the SC contracts.

edit: re: colorized / painted / striped stalls - I'm also thinking TM wants to give the minimum outside embellishment a chance. Like the cars...

Last edited:

None of them actually believed what they said. They knew they were caught breaking the rules and blurted out whatever stupid justification they could think of in order to get out of an awkward social situation. "I am sorry, you are right." is very hard for people to say.

The next time I want a slurpie and a lottery ticket, I guess I should just park my Model S at the gas pump while I shop in the convenience store? If anybody complains about having to wait, I'll just tell them there wasn't a sign saying I couldn't do that.

I don't understand why it says "Parking" instead of "Charging". If a Tesla was just parking there, it would still be a problem. You would just be getting ICEd by an EV instead.
+1 I agree. I can understand how the idea of special "parking" for Teslas can upset other people (why are Tesla owners so privileged), whereas they could probably understand and respect the need for charging.

... we need a standardized, probably green, "EV Parking Only" symbol
Hyatt hotel destination chargers in self-parking area:
8dc3d47103004fa6a721681198c50fcc.jpg

... They have ChargePoint J1772 spots too, I should have taken a pic of what they did there, I think it was the same green and logo without the word "TESLA."

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419790753.749386.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419790753.749386.jpg
    422.1 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Again with the "Parking", why doesn't it say "Charging".. I mean, that's what it is.

One battle at a time perhaps? Train the ICE drivers first, then fine-tune the Tesla "parkers" to move on when charging is complete.

Observation: That Hyatt has two HPWCs in prime close-to-elevator parking. Two Teslas used the area that weekend. One moved to use Vanilla spots after topping off. One (new, Dealer Tag in rear) stayed parked over 12 hours...