Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the Model S allow you to drive with the trunk open?

What would you like the behavior of open-trunk driving to be?

• Prevent me from driving with the trunk open, allow override on touch screen.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • Just add an audible notification.

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Change nothing, the HUD image is enough (no audible notification).

Votes: 47 47.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should the Model S better notify you when driving with the trunk open?

Christmas morning, I loaded my trunk up with a few presents and hopped in the car. I threw the car in drive, pulled forward.... THUD THUD THUD. I slammed on the brakes and immediately realized I forgot to shut the trunk and it was banging off things hanging from my garage ceiling. Luckily there was basically little-to-no damage (a mark the size of a cookie crumb), but I was immediately baffled why the car let me do this so easily.

I was given no audible warning and my eyes were out the windshield (paying attention to where I was steering), apparently missing the ever so subtle image notification with a slight shade of yellow that my trunk was still open. Heck, the car yells at you more if you leave the charge port open (which is unlikely to cause any issue with you driving with it open, unlike a trunk). Given that I was pulling forward out of my garage, I did not get the other possible implicit notification by noticing my rear backup cam was facing the ceiling. Given it's a liftgate and not a standard trunk, your rear view is not blocked by the trunk being open. It looks almost exactly the same with it open and closed.

IMG_0873.jpg

The thing I'm asking is, should the car do something more? How frequently does a driver mean to drive with their trunk open? Rarely ever. I can only guess that the majority of the time, driving with your trunk open is unintentional and a mistake. Maybe once in a blue moon would you want to drive with your trunk open (e.g., you stuffed a Christmas tree in your trunk and tied it down). That's why I'd love to see a confirmation when putting the car in drive with your trunk open. "Warning: You are trying to put the car in drive with your trunk open. Proceed? Yes. No."

I e-mailed Jerome and he feels there are already various notifications and "we need to be sensitive to adding too many chimes that aren’t truly necessary as that would start to affect the calm of the Model S."

What do you think?

Last edited:
Of course! I'm not saying never allow it. I'm asking if verification should be requested and/or more should be done. I didn't even include an option to prevent it completely.

Well...and I'm thinking of every vehicle I've ever owned and I don't recall getting any significant (any that I can think of off the top of my head) notification of the trunk/hatch being open - 'Are you sure you want to do that?'. Course, I'm not driving any of these new fandangle contraptions that are state of the art. :wink:

Not aware of any car that offers such a warning ... But your suggestion is appropriate for a car of this technologically advanced nature. Some sort of audible warning that can be turned off if needed.

I'm actually surprised that anyone would be concerned about being able to drive with the rear hatch open but not mention at the same time the danger of being able to drive with the frunk open. If there was ever something which should require you to answer yes/no before allowing you to proceed, I would think it would be putting the car into drive with an open frunk which will potentially fully open at 15mph completely blocking your view of the road ahead AND damage your hood, winshield, roof, etc.

Actually, I do understand the OP only discussing the hatch as his experience directly related to the hatch, not the frunk. I do not,however, agree with Jerome's statement "we need to be sensitive to adding too many chimes that aren’t truly necessary as that would start to affect the calm of the Model S." In this particular case, a chime would only affect the calm of the model S when putting the car into drive with the hatch open. How often does someone intentionally do that? I can understand not putting the chime in because he feels it's added time and expense for something which he feels is not necessary, but it wouldn't affect anyone's "calm" IMHO.

Perhaps the best solution for the OP would be to set the opening height of the hatch to where it would clear the garage door/lowest hanging items.

I know for sure that the Model S does not have a noticeable warning about the trunk being open. Fortunately, I have it set to open to a height that clears my garage door. I didn't notice it was open until I was just about to turn out of my development...

Now, for comparison, I had a Chevy Volt. I left the trunk open on it. It didn't warn me either, and I hit the garage door on the way out and scratched the hell out of the top of the hatch. :( Fortunately the Model S with the tech package lets me set the opening height...

Christmas morning, I loaded my trunk up with a few presents and hopped in the car. I threw the car in drive, pulled forward.... THUD THUD THUD. I slammed on the brakes and immediately realized I forgot to shut the trunk and it was banging off things hanging from my garage ceiling. Luckily there was basically little-to-no damage (a mark the size of a cookie crumb), but I was immediately baffled why the car let me do this so easily.

I was given no audible warning and my eyes were out the windshield (paying attention to where I was steering), apparently missing the ever so subtle image notification with a slight shade of yellow that my trunk was still open. Heck, the car yells at you more if you leave the charge port open (which is unlikely to cause any issue with you driving with it open, unlike a trunk). Given that I was pulling forward out of my garage, I did not get the other possible implicit notification by noticing my rear backup cam was facing the ceiling. Given it's a liftgate and not a standard trunk, your rear view is not blocked by the trunk being open. It looks almost exactly the same with it open and closed.

View attachment 67122

The thing I'm asking is, should the car do something more? How frequently does a driver mean to drive with their trunk open? Rarely ever. I can only guess that the majority of the time, driving with your trunk open is unintentional and a mistake. Maybe once in a blue moon would you want to drive with your trunk open (e.g., you stuffed a Christmas tree in your trunk and tied it down). That's why I'd love to see a confirmation when putting the car in drive with your trunk open. "Warning: You are trying to put the car in drive with your trunk open. Proceed? Yes. No."

I e-mailed Jerome and he feels there are already various notifications and "we need to be sensitive to adding too many chimes that aren’t truly necessary as that would start to affect the calm of the Model S."

What do you think?

1f78479685e5bb55dc26935fa290c20b.jpg

Sometimes it's helpful to be able to drive with the trunk open.

It would be possible for the warning chime to be optional and also take over a much larger area on the small LCD or the 17" screen. That's the beauty of software. Could be off by default.

I'd expect that the first time a person became annoyed at the chime, it will be turned off forever so there's not much point to putting it on in the first place. To me the yellow indicator is enough. (It's actually annoying at car shows because the Navigon display is overridden by the hood or hatch warning--although I'm glad to have it the rest of the time.)

Driving with a trunk open never should be done because of the backdrafted fumes from your exhaust p.......oh, scratch that:biggrin: And scratch up Advantage # 993 of Teslas over ICEs.

Seeing people stater they have never had cars that warn you that the trunk is open amazes me. Every car I have owned mainly being GM, BMW and Audi has beeped at me if the trunk or door hatch isn't fully closed upon key in ignition. As should the model S.

I don't have the tech package, so my trunk opens all the way whether I want it to or not. As such, it just barely clears my closed garage doors but hits the door when it's open. For that reason, I have carpet scraps covering the inside of my garage doors. However, beneath the carpet scraps the metal handle gearbox, hinges, crossbars, etc., on the door are still a hazzard to the trunk and can easily dent the trunk even though the carpet pieces prevent it from being scratched. For a car that could cost thousands to repair a dent like this, I think this would be a brilliant idea.

I voted to leave things the way they are only because sometimes we might want to drive with the trunk open and I wouldn't want the car dinging the whole way. But a one time "Hey, your trunk's open!" before rolling might be a good idea. Or the option to 'enable/disable trunk warning' as a selectable vehicle item on the center console might be useful.

Seeing people stater they have never had cars that warn you that the trunk is open amazes me. Every car I have owned mainly being GM, BMW and Audi has beeped at me if the trunk or door hatch isn't fully closed upon key in ignition. As should the model S.

Own a GM right now and it has no trunk open warning. And no, it's not anywhere near a Classic car - less than 10 years old. Door being ajar is a different story.

I'm in the UK and all vehicles I've owned 07 onwards in mind have beeped. I might be wrong on the Audi I think that just flashed vigorously but that pale yellow on the Tesla seems odd to me for such an advanced vehichle.