Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Vanguard Group

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any opinions on investing with them? I'm tired of paying high fees at the large investment groups and since Vanguard doesn't have stock owners except for the folks that invest with them I thought it sounded like a good idea.
Thanks
mods if not appropriate location please move or delete

Very good company. I have been with them for a very long time.

Any opinions on investing with them? I'm tired of paying high fees at the large investment groups and since Vanguard doesn't have stock owners except for the folks that invest with them I thought it sounded like a good idea.
Thanks
mods if not appropriate location please move or delete

Vanguard is good if you are an investor and not active trader. Some of their managed funds soundly beat the S&P this year and that is doing better than most managed and hedge funds in the market.

@rtz.. Best? There is no best in investing. For most growth, you can look at Healthcare and Capital Opportunity as two examples of outperforming funds of the last two years. They do send you lots of cap gains and dividends. I also like the safer Windsor II. Explorer is another high risk, high reward fund. i just don't see another 20% year ahead, and am surprised at this last two month market whipsaw for the broad market. But I have to think Health Care and even Energy are sectors to do well this coming year. Review dividend distribution numbers too and consider that when making plans.

Last edited:
You want to get Admiral Shares

Admiral Shares offer lower expense ratios | Vanguard

What are Admiral Shares?

Admiral™ Shares are a separate share class of Vanguard mutual funds that were created to pass along the savings that result from larger accounts to the investors who own them.
On average, Vanguard Admiral Shares expense ratios are:

• More than 20% lower than our standard Investor Share class.*
  • More than 86% lower than the industry average.*
See which Vanguard mutual funds offer Admiral Shares
Get an overview of all Vanguard mutual fund share classes

In totality, Vanguard is the lowest cost, highest ethics, and best customer service in the mutual fund industry. I enjoy "selling" both Vanguard and Model Ses. John Bogle truly is a titan.

As a Boglehead myself, I agree wholeheartedly. Vanguard was structured from the beginning to be "client owned". This means that the organization always works for the client, rather than having to balance client interests against owner interests.

I highly recommend Vanguard Index Funds as building blocks for core retirement portfolios.

My wife and I have nearly all our investments with Vanguard. Excellent family of funds available, clear reports, very low fees. We have enough invested with them to have a useful extra benefits. I used to pay someone a fairly large chunk of change to manage all these services, which are free for me at Vanguard.

I do all my trading through Vanguard, including options. Their tools are dreadful, but I've never had a problem with execution speed or price. Again, with enough money invested, this activity is free or cheap. I'm not a very active trader, though, rarely making more than 50 trades a year.

We have had a couple portfolios with Vanguard for decades. Awesome no-load funds. The website can be confusing and the stock brokerage features are lacking. But, they are inexpensive and that's a trade off.

It's tempting to switch over to that as the numbers look better. But it just seems like obobocare really throws a wrench into the works and creates a huge unknown/uncertainty long term. Maybe it's stable though? It also has a higher expense ratio (0.35% compared to 0.05%).
Just throwing that out there as an option because you asked. I generally like lower fee funds. Higher ones have to prove benefits. We had enough in IX500 so we were diversifying more. Plus the health care sector was a "if you can't beat them then join them" decision :) . We've had it in an IRA for a while and have the liked the results including long term cap gains as well as dividends.

Useful compare tool:
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/faces/JSP/Funds/Compare/CompareEntryContent.jsp

qdjPFtJ.png

I would highly recommend Vanguard to you. The Admiral shares, if you can use them (you have to have larger accounts), will help you even more by lowering you expenses. If you want to buy stocks, it is $7 per trade.

Long time Vanguard customer. Agree with previous posts, both in low cost and lack of hand holding (or calling you to sell you something). One nice thing about the cheaper Admiral shares is that when you reach the minimum amount to qualify, then Vanguard automatically switches your shares to Admiral - no issues with you having to remember to make the change or even knowing that you qualify (unlike a lot of banks, etc. who will introduce higher interest rates for a savings account, but never tell you about it).

Vanguard is generally not for day traders, they generally discourage you by not letting you reinvest for a period of time, if you buy and then sell quickly. They say (I believe rightly so) that in and out traders increase their operating costs and decrease their stability, forcing Vanguard to sell and rebuy more frequently, which increases their costs.

BTW, their offices and employee compensation reflect their low cost model.

Last edited:
Ok.
Thanks in part to this thread and my poor luck at investing my own rollover IRA, I'm considering switching to Vanguard. Has anyone had any negative or questionable experiences that I should be aware of? Any other advise will be welcome.

Ok.
Thanks in part to this thread and my poor luck at investing my own rollover IRA, I'm considering switching to Vanguard. Has anyone had any negative or questionable experiences that I should be aware of? Any other advise will be welcome.
After years of mediocre experience with managed mutual funds and broker recommendations for individual stocks, I switched everything to Vanguard index funds a few years ago. Results have been great. Very low cost and the returns verify that in the long run, you can't beat the market.
Vanguard offers good tools and advice for long term investors. It's not for active traders. Stick with index funds.

After years of mediocre experience with managed mutual funds and broker recommendations for individual stocks, I switched everything to Vanguard index funds a few years ago. Results have been great. Very low cost and the returns verify that in the long run, you can't beat the market.
Vanguard offers good tools and advice for long term investors. It's not for active traders. Stick with index funds.

Thanks