Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension 19" -> 21"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Question, I am about to pull the trigger on my order but want to run a thought by the group. I am planning on ordering a S85 with Air Suspension and 19" wheels. After delivery I then plan on finding a set of new/gently used 21" Tesla rims and want to use those on my car and keep one 19" wheel as a spare and sell the rest.

Is a trip to the SC required to change the air suspension setting from 19" wheels to the 21"? Do you foresee any problems going this way?

My thoughts are that buying the 21" gently used and then selling three of the four 19" wheels will leave me with a spare wheel that I can throw in the frunk for any long road trips all while saving me about $2,000 after the income from selling the three wheels.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
No and no. The 19" and 21" tires have virtually the same rpms so that's not an issue. There is a new tire settings button that will reset the TPMS. However, I'd skip the 21" tires and wheels altogether. They cost twice as much, last half as long, and are far more susceptible to damage from curbs and potholes. On a trip they have less range as well. In fact, the only advantage is slightly higher cornering force, but you shouldn't really be pushing the boundaries of cornering on public roads on a regular basis anyway.

Agreed. I sprung for the 21's because I couldn't resist. And I absolutely love the look. But I have already dinged one wheel and my tires are wearing faster than a crook running from a crime. They are an extremely expensive frill that doesn't improve performance except if you are on a track. But I must say, I do love them and absolutely everybody comments on how gorgeous they are. So good for the ego, I guess...

So, I did much the same thing you did - ordered the cars with 19" wheels, then picked up a set of 21" (over in the marketplace section). The wifey has been bugging me to put the 21s on since I bought the car and she finally sold me on it.

I am actually quite pleased with the decision. The biggest concern was wear, but I have about 16K miles on this set of Contis and they are probably good for a few thousand more miles--perhaps because I have an S85 instead of a P85, the car is a bit more gentle on the tires.

The other concern was the ride, but to be honest, its not particularly rough--the two caveats is I have always had stiff suspension set-ups in my cars and I am religious about proper tire inflation. The softer rubber on the Contis certainly seems to make the care seem more sure-footed.

I think it ends up being a bit of a trade-off between the two wheel/tire packages: the 19" tire gives you more sidewall, but the Primacies are a very hard tire (I had ~32K miles on mine before I swapped them out) so that introduces some harshness. The 21" tires gives you much less side wall, but the tire is more complaint, so it smooths things out a bit.

BTW, I was going to sell the 19" wheels, but opted to keep them for trips up to Tahoe.