Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D frunk: yeah, it's small

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I placed my Tesla microwave bag into the frunk of my P85D. You can get the hood to close, but I wouldn't say "it fits".

cf0cb75c9fe92798aaa8ec4a1a4c9fe9.jpg

54c30dc2f5646430a95a50d67cd66339.jpg

If I had a P85D, I wouldn't care if there was no frunk space! At this stage in my life, I find it useful to keep the kid's booster seats in the frunk. Once that stage of my life is over, I'm not sure if I will use the frunk for anything, really. I live in a constant state of fear over denting the frunk every time I close it. It's painfully obvious that I am taking special precautions when closing it, and I've had some people raise eyebrows when I've interrupted them to close the frunk myself. Frankly, I wouldn't miss it.

I use my frunk a lot. I store a full tool chest in the cubbyhole. I transport groceries in it. I've used it as a useful overflow area when carrying a lot of baggage. Frankly, I'm glad I have a P85, especially now that Tesla isn't making them anymore.

What I like about the old frunk space is that when on a trip I can lay my pants and shirts down already on hangers. A duffle for the small clothes and an accessory bag. Don't need a suitcase, and the clothes don't get wrinkled.

I am giving a microwave as a Christmas gift and I had it in the rear during some spirited driving and it slid back. I tried to move it to the frunk so it wouldn't move around as much and ironically it doesn't fit. Not even close! The microwave space and more is gone! Lol

+1 on both the frunk mat and duffle

I was able to fit my tire inflator kit, first aid kit, charging cable, and gym bag with room to spare, so works well enough for day-to-day.

IMG_20141224_185629.jpg

IMG_20141224_185704.jpg

Long trips, on the other hand, will be a challenge. Here's hoping the Model X frunk is as big on the production car as the prototype from 2 years ago.