Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is NAV broken?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After last firmware update about 2 months ago my NAV on the big screen is broken and is useless.

It doesn't refresh properly when I zoom-in or zoom-out (don't redraw the route), or when NAV recalculate the route it shows the old and new route at the same time.

Basically the NAV on the main screen is useless at this point, the small NAV next to the speedometer works fine, however at first was very confusing until I learn to ignore the big screen because I used to look at the big screen which was different from the Text To Speech or the screen next to the speedometer.

I tried restarting the console but still no luck.

Is this a known issue? or only happening on my car?

How can you be sure it's only me?

Do you work in Tesla? That's a bold affirmation you are making.

Regressions on firmware updates is pretty common on Tesla, I have been on the service center way too many times already, broken NAV is something that I can tolerate since the small NAV is working if this means the rest of the features will keep working.

Me too - often it either doesn't show on the big screen, or shows fragments of routes that have nothing to do with where I am going. There have been several threads discussing this, with screen shots as well.

Started with the new 'traffic aware' navigation. It also changes route from minute to minute while driving (or even stopped at lights!)

How can you be sure it's only me?

Do you work in Tesla? That's a bold affirmation you are making.

Regressions on firmware updates is pretty common on Tesla, I have been on the service center way too many times already, broken NAV is something that I can tolerate since the small NAV is working if this means the rest of the features will keep working.

I was being somewhat tongue in cheek, but still think you would have considered reporting it when the symptoms began.

I disagree with the first part of that but more important is you DO report a problem to Tesla. They can't fix what they don't know about.

Do you disagree with the regression part?

I just went outside for a spin and put an address and took a different route.

This is my NAV experience:
NAV regression.jpg

Then also the Day sensing was not working properly, which happens often as well
daysensingregression.jpg

Nav used to work before the Map features, and I used to not have any problem with day sensing before, if these are not regression then what are they?

I still love the car and the brand, however looking to Tesla objectively they lack of a lot testing between firmware updates.

I am sure your day sensing is a bad sensor - what you show is simply trying to override the bad sensor. I don't think that is in any way related to the Nav, which was described as beta - which might generously be described as 'early beta' :)

A bad sensor would not behave in this way, when switching between Auto => Day => Auto should have the same outcome as Auto => Night => Auto which is not the behavior that happen on the car. Auto => Night => Auto fixes the issue and auto switches to day mode.

- - - Updated - - -

A bad sensor would not behave in this way, when switching between Auto => Day => Auto should have the same outcome as Auto => Night => Auto which is not the behavior that happen on the car. Auto => Night => Auto fixes the issue and auto switches to day mode.

And Im not making a relation with the NAV the point Im making is about regressions

Me too - often it either doesn't show on the big screen, or shows fragments of routes that have nothing to do with where I am going. There have been several threads discussing this, with screen shots as well.

Started with the new 'traffic aware' navigation. It also changes route from minute to minute while driving (or even stopped at lights!)

I have the same problems. If I recall properly, it happenned after the latest map updates ( but I cannot be sure 100% ).

I've found it does that when there are two route choices of almost the same distance--it switches between on and the other and sometimes has route artifacts. I haven't received the map upgrade.

Still, it's better than the Toyota one which will sometimes route through Kentucky when going from Texas to Nebraska.

BTW, go into your settings and tell it to only switch routes if the time savings is 10 minutes or more. 10 is just my number for my typical area, so yours may be different, but it keeps it from flipping back and forth between routes. I had it at 5 minutes, but even that flipped too often.

Doesn't fix the display problem per se, but the problem seems to only come up when I've had it change routes.