Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy without a test drive - crazy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How crazy is it to buy a Telsa 85D without even test driving one first?

I'm 1,700+ km from a Tesla store and I've been trying to locate a Tesla close to me to check it out. Unfortunately it's easier said than done. I've been lurking here for a bit and I'm sure I've watched 100 or more videos on YouTube. I feel like just buying one but is it weird to drop $110K+ on a car without even seeing it in person? Maybe I need help LOL

We did for our S85. We ordered in June 2012 and it was delivered in February 2013, about 4 months earlier than originally promised. We finally saw one in person about 3 months before it arrived, at a showroom, but they didn't have any available to drive. At that time, there were not many vehicles available for test drives.

I ordered the P85D without a test drive either. From all I have been reading in the past 2 years, I am sure I will like it.
I didn't want to test drive the car before because I knew I would have wanted to buy it right away (and I would have missed out on the D).

How often has a test drive changed one's mind? I test drove a P85 in early Nov and immediately ordered a P85D - but I was pretty sure that I was going to order the P85D no matter how I enjoyed the test drive. Nobody who has ordered a P85D, at least until the last week, has been able to test drive the car that they ordered.

I had seen one up close about 2 weeks in St. Louis before I had a chance to actually sit in one in Austin, Texas' gallery.
I don't know if TM had test drives at the time, but I went ahead and ordered the car when I returned home in June 2013.

Still pinching myself and grinning here.
:rolleyes:

So, just to throw in an experience which is different from the crowd: I reserved a Model S the day that Superchargers were announced (24 Sep 2012). I was not willing to buy the car sight unseen, however, as I am 1.95m (6'5") tall and have experienced cars which I do not fit in. So, I made a trip to Seattle (Bellevue) to test drive the car.

I was happy to learn that I fit in the front seat, but I was not too happy about the ingress/egress (I'm used to it now). While the car was great to drive, it didn't strike me as $100,000 great to drive. But that was really me just rationalizing not wanting to spend that much. I kept waffling... at the time I had a Nissan Leaf, and I was ecstatic just to be able to drive electric. I didn't need more range, though there were times it would have come in really handy.

I was still going to get the S, but with delays in delivery to Canada pushing it out likely past the change in taxation and incentive in B.C. (the difference being about $8000), I decided to cancel and reserved a Model X instead.

That lasted six months. The $5000 B.C. EV incentive was restored, which helped psychologically. I just managed to gain the courage to throw $100,000 at a depreciating asset (and take a hit on selling the Leaf) because, what the hell, it was worth it. Plus, I didn't have to wait - I bought the Vancouver service centre's demo car. I don't regret it for a moment.

So, the question I would ask is: do you have any reservations about the car that would be addressed by a test drive? If so, arrange for a test drive. If not, then don't sweat it, because all that you read about the Model S from the enthusiast owners out there is true. I think that once you've driven the Model S you really won't want to drive anything else.

I do miss the heated steering wheel from the Leaf. That's about it. :)

When I put up the deposit to reserve mine, I didn't even know the TM or TMC forum existed. Blind Buy is another word for it. I had not even sit in a Model S. It was another two months before I found to sit in. It was sold so the SC could not let me drive it.