Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me remember previous P+ pricing (comparison to P85D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove the P85D last week. Now I begin the rationalization - justification thing that many before have gone through.

The last Tesla I drove was a P85 which I thought felt too fast for its suspension. Felt a little scary. The P85D felt fast but not as scary - less yaw etc.

So there is a $18k difference between a 85D and a P85D and I see a lot of posters talk about how this is too much. It is pretty shocking of course. But wasn't the previous difference $16,500? $10k for the P and $6500 for the +. I would get the 19s on coils.

So my rationalization goes something like you get almost 2 secs 0-60 for $18k vs 1 sec for $16.5k. That sounds like a bargain.....

I'm sure I'm forgetting something included with the old P85+ but what.

The other rationalization is that I have to have the new seats .....

Regarding performance, as 0-60 time drops, it of course gets harder and harder to drop an additional 0.1 sec from the time. Given that the number of competing performance cars dwindles to very few as 0-60 time improves, the prices of the cars increase more quickly. Given the cost of competing cars that can do 0-60 in 3.2 sec...and given that the D is the only sedan capable of this...the P85D seems like a much better relative value than the P85+.

...The last Tesla I drove was a P85 which I thought felt too fast for its suspension. Felt a little scary. The P85D felt fast but not as scary - less yaw etc....
I haven't tested to D yet (I'm afraid that if I did, I'd really like to trade up), but I agree with you. We've reached the limits of what is safely do-able with only two wheel drive, and perhaps even stretched it a tiny bit too much, particularly with the first S's that had the softer suspension bushings. At the rate that Tesla is increasing available horsepower, soon we'll be knocking on the limits of AWD!

I test drove the P85D last week. Now I begin the rationalization - justification thing that many before have gone through.

The last Tesla I drove was a P85 which I thought felt too fast for its suspension. Felt a little scary. The P85D felt fast but not as scary - less yaw etc.

So there is a $18k difference between a 85D and a P85D and I see a lot of posters talk about how this is too much. It is pretty shocking of course. But wasn't the previous difference $16,500? $10k for the P and $6500 for the +. I would get the 19s on coils.

So my rationalization goes something like you get almost 2 secs 0-60 for $18k vs 1 sec for $16.5k. That sounds like a bargain.....

I'm sure I'm forgetting something included with the old P85+ but what.

The other rationalization is that I have to have the new seats .....

Comparisons are complicated by the "mandatory" options they required you to select to get the + package. In addition to the "P," you also had to order the 21" wheels, the Tech Package, and the air suspension. None of that was included in the + price.

So if you're planning on getting 19" wheels and coil springs (neither of which were available with the +), the delta between P85D and P85+ is smaller than you might think.

Thanks - the window sticker helps confirm things.

Note that that car--built in 6/2013--was before the fall 2013 price increase/package changes.

Edit: I can't remember all of the various changes that went into effect 8/13, but I do remember that the price of the 21" wheels went up by $1000, and the stereo (not really relevant here) went up by $1550. More relevant, the air suspension (previously standard on 85s? Or just P85s?) became a stand-alone option.

Last edited:
Note that that car--built in 6/2013--was before the fall 2013 price increase/package changes.

Edit: I can't remember all of the various changes that went into effect 8/13, but I do remember that the price of the 21" wheels went up by $1000, and the stereo (not really relevant here) went up by $1550. More relevant, the air suspension (previously standard on 85s? Or just P85s?) became a stand-alone option.

All true. But that car (mine) also didn't have fog lights, parking sensors, automatic folding mirrors, etc. When it was ordered/built it had every option available at the time except rear facing seats.

Mike

Something else I read somewhere, which I believe to be accurate, is that the performance premium on the P85D will not fully depreciate, so you'll always get another 10k or so through the next few years above what an S85 would get. For me the difference between the S and P was larger because I would've gotten a RWD S if I had taken that route. Even then, the difference would be 23k, and 10k of that would be recouped in resale, so the difference for the D would be 13k. That's a bargain in my opinion.

Just for the record, below are all the options that were available in the summer of 2014.

Full price difference between P85 and P85+ was $17K. However, it included 21" wheels ($4500), tech package ($3750) and air suspension ($2250). All in all, mandatory options on P85+ were $10500. This means pure P85 -> P85+ upgrade was $6500, oranges-to-oranges.

features
descriptionprice
Model

60208 miles EPA range, 302 HP, 5.9 sec 0-6071070
85256 miles EPA range, 362 hp, 5.4 sec 0-6081070
P85265 miles EPA range, 416 hp, 4.2 sec 0-6094570
P85+265 miles EPA range, 416 hp, 4.2 sec 0-60111570
Colors

solidblack, whiteincluded
metallicsilver, blue, green, brown, grey750
multi-coatpearl white, red1500
Wheels

19”5 double-spokesincluded
19” cyclone
21” turbinewhite or grey, included on P85+4500
Seats

textileblackincluded
leatherblack, tan, grey1500
perf. leatherblack, tan, grey with piping2500
Interior

piano black
included
woodobeche matte, obeche gloss, lacewood650
carbon fiber
Individual options

glass panoramic roof
supercharger accessstandard on 85, P85 and P85+2000
dual chargersallows charging at rate of up to 60 mi/hr (default 30 mi/hr)1500
wall connectorallows charging at home at rate up to 60 mi/hr1200
tech packageincluded on P85+3750
air suspensionrequires tech package, included on P85+2250
parking sensorsrequires tech package500
fog lampsrequires tech package500
Hi-Fi sound system
extended leather trimrequires leather or perf. leather seats2500
alcantara headlinerincluded in P85 and P85+1500
rear facing seatsA.K.A. “third row”2500
premium interior lighting
subzero weather package
Michelin tire upgradefor 19” wheel options only, included in 85 and P851000
paint armor

Last edited:
The ability to remove the 21 inch rims and air is the only reason I would even consider the P85D. They really made the P85D a pretty good value.... right value, bargain ....

But I do think a lightly optioned P85D will hold resale pretty well. But I'm leasing anyway. The difference comes to $300 a month. Somehow a few weeks ago it was $200 a month but maybe that didn't include the seats...

Here is my sticker from September 19th.

TESLA_STICKER.JPG

I went through all the calculations and ordered a P85D.
Original Sticker $132,170, Same car (minus the wall charger I'm keeping) P85D $137,570

Where you put the wall charger in these calculations matters and it is now $500 cheaper.

Difference in cost of a P85D without a wall charger is $5,400 compared to a similarly configured P85+ with a wall charger. It is actually either $1,250 or $750 more. My cost on Trade deducting the ($1250 wall charger) is $12,420... But since I'm trading into Tesla I save $3K-$4K in taxes. Because of special circumstances my trade happens when I take delivery of my P85D, which has slipped from January to February. So this $12,420 is my cost of using my P85+ for roughly 4-5 months. This ends up being only a bit more than what I would have paid to lease the car for 36 months. And if they offered a 5 month lease ($2484/month) I'm getting a deal... I also have to float two State and Federal Tax credits. Not taking the tax credit float my total cost is $17,820K + Tax. But I'm looking at it as I'm paying the $12,420 as an expensive short term lease for the use of the P85+ and my cost for the new P85D is $5,400 + some tax. You can also pull out the delivery charge ($1170) to make it feel even better...

Attachments

• IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    232.2 KB · Views: 279
Interesting. This is the window sticker I received via email for the alleged P85+ I am buying CPO.

Wonder what's with the pricing difference with performance plus

They redid the pricing (i.e., the spoiler was included in mine whereas it was broken out in the newer one you're looking at) between those two VINs.

Bottom line is they look like similarly equipped cars and the bottom line is close.