Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Casa Grande Meet-Up, January 31 at SCS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Andy (ahm) in Tucson has suggested a meet-up at about 2pm at the SCS in Casa Grande on January 31 for Arizona owners. I'm supportive of the idea, but would encourage some discussion about what we might do together beyond a quick charge and a burger at Culvers.

Is there an interest in a show & tell on the latest accessories, perhaps some education about charging options or a discussion about EV-friendly legislative initiatives in AZ. If we want to actually have a "meeting," we probably need a place to meet other than Culvers. Does anyone know of a free venue in Casa Grande where 15-20 people might meet? Maybe a picnic lunch in a park, an owner's home or someone's backyard in Casa Grande?

Let us know if you're "in" for the meet up. Thanks. Mark
CG.jpeg

We plan to be there unless something comes up. We can't help with the area or a home unless you want to drive back to the Desert Ridge area. The subjects I'd like to hear about at some point are:
1. Current solar options and if it's worth it
2. Charging options are good
3. Hotels that people have gone to that have been EV friendly
4. EV legislation would be a great subject. Maybe knowing who to contact. Offer them rides in our cars to given them an understanding of the car and why it's important to get off foreign oil with an all-American car.
5. Challenges with people who may be anti-EV and if there's any way of countering their objections. I'm not for confrontation, but when they ask questions, I would like to be better prepared.
6. Items that might be helpful to protect the car from vandalism. Ex. Blackvue cameras

That's it. :)
Go Cards!

A timely thread, as I have just been perusing the map in order to....

....learn whether or not we can get from/back to the Casa Grande SpC with a visit to Kartchner Caverns. In a few weeks we will be hosting family members who have expressed an adamant desire to visit these magnificent caves. As an aside, Jenny and I were spelunking with them four days ago near their home in....New Zealand! So we definitely owe them the best Arizona can offer (we returned from NZ late last night. What a trip!).

Back to this thread, I see that from the SpC to Kartchner is 118 miles, meaning the round-trip most definitely is doable. However, I'm not sure if the caves would be feasible for a meet-up such as ours, as all would have to have close to a 100% full charge at Casa Grande.

???????

....learn whether or not we can get from/back to the Casa Grande SpC with a visit to Kartchner Caverns. In a few weeks we will be hosting family members who have expressed an adamant desire to visit these magnificent caves. As an aside, Jenny and I were spelunking with them four days ago near their home in....New Zealand! So we definitely owe them the best Arizona can offer (we returned from NZ late last night. What a trip!).

Back to this thread, I see that from the SpC to Kartchner is 118 miles, meaning the round-trip most definitely is doable. However, I'm not sure if the caves would be feasible for a meet-up such as ours, as all would have to have close to a 100% full charge at Casa Grande.

???????

Unless some of us have upgraded to the new 120kW battery at the swap station in CA before doing our road trip out to AZ. Of course we would pick up our old 85kW A pack on the return trip.

You might want to call Mimi's Cafe. They have a back room that they might let us use that is big enough for your projected group size. It is practically across the road from Culvers. No doubt we would have to eat there, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Another alternative is Olive Garden. It is also across the street. It has partitioned eating areas as well. Not quite as private, but it is bigger.

???????
Audie: The caverns are awesome. You might want to do a stop-over in Tucson at the Weston La Paloma Resort where they have two dedicated Tesla chargers (lower level garage near the elevator). They aren't superchargers, but they're as fast as you've got at home. It would make the trek to Kartchner really easy.

There are two Level 2 chargers (J1772) at Bookman's on Speedway as well. I got about 44 miles per hour from them this past week, whereas I'm told the HPWCs at La Paloma are limited to 40A so you only get about 29 miles per hour of charge.

Is that the one near Country Club or near Wilmot (both show up in Google)? How much do they charge for the service?

Surprisingly, it's neither. Apparently there are lots of different Bookman'ses. It's the "Bookman's Sports Exchange" at:
3330 East Speedway Boulevard
Tucson, AZ 85716

This was my first time using a non-Supercharger so I might be confused, but it appeared to be free. It charged me $0.00 both times I used it.

Bookman's is a wonderful, environmental friendly business that was a great supporter of the GM EV1 program back in the 1990's. I used their EV1 MagnaChargers at 3 locations, Country Club Rd in Mesa and at both the Grant Rd and Ina Rd stores while visiting in Tucson. The Ina Rd location was especially useful when returning to Phoenix because it's at the far north side of Tucson near I-10. I could get enough charge there to make it to the MagnaChargers in Casa Grande. I think the owner drove an EV1, but I could be mistaken. The stores have a great ambience, I spent a lot of time browsing and frequently bought some things. They have a great selection of used books and media. I haven't been there recently but I have heard that they still offer EV charging. This would be a good location for a Tesla driver to spend some time in Tucson if they needed some miles to get to the SuperChargers in Casa Grande. I'll try to attach a picture from 1999 of my red EV1 charging at the Ina Rd location.
BOOKMAN'S USED BOOKS - INA ROAD.jpg

Bookman's - Ina Rd, Tucson, 1999

Here in Tucson the "best" public access charging is behind Bookman's Sports Exchange (3330 E Speedway Blvd). There is an 80 Amp (J1772 plug) GOE3 Charger, which is managed by ChargePoint. I don't believe there is a charge to use this site. Other options are the 40 Amp limited HPWC at La Paloma (3800 E Sunrise Dr). I do not know if they allow the general public to use these chargers. There are "Blink" charging stations throughout town as well as a few people who participate in the Plug Share program.

It's great to hear that we have 40+ Tesla enthusiasts planning to join this meet-up at 2pm in Casa Grande at the Olive Garden on the 31st of January. Thanks for John Parsey for polling the group and working on organizating the event. A huge thanks also to Andy (ahm) in Tucson for first suggesting the idea of a Casa Grande meet-up.

The Olive Garden is very near the SCS and is located at :
717 N. Promenade Parkway,
Casa Grande, AZ, 85194
(520) 426-0226

A semi-private area at the Olive Garden is reserved for us!

At the meet-up we would like to have some brief discussion on a variety of topics perhaps including "dealership politics in AZ", the latest Tesla accessories, maintenance issues, first impressions of the P85D, and future plans for AZ-TMC. Let John Parsey (huzz1970) or PM me (MarkR) know if you're willing to offer a topic and comfortable speaking to the group. Hand-outs and demos are always welcome. Thanks. Mark

italian-family-restaurant-olive-garden-g6-rdv.jpg