Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map Magnification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 5.9 manual says Note: To change the size of the font used todisplay the map’s labels, touch Controls >Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation > MapMagnification.

I don't see that option in the 6.0 software that my car came with. Am I blind or did it go away?

The 5.9 manual says Note: To change the size of the font used todisplay the map’s labels, touch Controls >Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation > MapMagnification.

I don't see that option in the 6.0 software that my car came with. Am I blind or did it go away?

I saw this mentioned in one of the P85D delivery walkthrough videos posted. The DS said that they now have it set to the larger font as that was what everyone was using.

I saw this mentioned in one of the P85D delivery walkthrough videos posted. The DS said that they now have it set to the larger font as that was what everyone was using.

The font used now is smaller than the large font was in previous releases. It really needs to be about 2x or 4x the current size.

The font could be a little bigger, but the bigger issue I have with v6 maps is the traffic line...it's way too thin. If you use the plus/minus buttons for zooming, the "standard" zoom levels make it really small. Pinching to zoom in a little betond that helps, but traffic colors are far harder to see in v6 vs. v5.x. A step back in the UI if you ask me.

The font could be a little bigger, but the bigger issue I have with v6 maps is the traffic line...it's way too thin. If you use the plus/minus buttons for zooming, the "standard" zoom levels make it really small. Pinching to zoom in a little betond that helps, but traffic colors are far harder to see in v6 vs. v5.x. A step back in the UI if you ask me.

The traffic line in 5.9 was just about perfect. You could see it by just glancing. Now you have to study it.

I found that playing with zoom (expand/pinch) w two fingers gets me just what I want. Zoom to just below the point where map scales to the next level and you can get larger text and road detail that excludes minor roads but shows traffic on major streets. FWIW I also like north-up panned so I see my whole route to get the big picture view of traffic.

I found that playing with zoom (expand/pinch) w two fingers gets me just what I want. Zoom to just below the point where map scales to the next level and you can get larger text and road detail that excludes minor roads but shows traffic on major streets. FWIW I also like north-up panned so I see my whole route to get the big picture view of traffic.

It does, but it doesn't stay. It goes back to tiny immediately.

I am about to get my Tesla in a week. How does the GPS functionality compare to Waze? Does the Tesla have real time smart reroute like Waze?

Yes, the real time smart reroute is similar to Waze, but like Waze, how effective it's estimations are depend on how many other Model S cars are in the area to provide real time traffic updates. There is a setting on the car where you can adjust the time of traffic improvement before the car will suggest an alternative route.

Yes, the real time smart reroute is similar to Waze, but like Waze, how effective it's estimations are depend on how many other Model S cars are in the area to provide real time traffic updates. There is a setting on the car where you can adjust the time of traffic improvement before the car will suggest an alternative route.

I'm pretty sure it just uses the Google traffic data.

Doesn't the google traffic data now come from Wazers? You would think they would use the best source available since they now own Waze. On Hwy 401 in Toronto Waze shows the actual speed in km/h as opposed to a red-yellow-green coding.