Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto night mode not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, got my Model Sp yesterday. Love it.

One problem: it doesn't seem to want to go into "night mode" at night automatically as it should (or any normal car does). The bright screen (super super bright!) is great in the day, but basically dangerous at night when it's in "day mode". I need to manually switch it to night mode lest I am blinded. Is there some software update I need to fix this? Am I doing something wrong (i.e. using "auto" for the display brightness)? I have basically all of the options possible, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Steve.

Congrats on the new MS! Sorry you are having troubles with the auto dimming.

First recommendation is to try the center screen reboot...hold both steering wheel scroll wheels down until the center screen blanks.
In the early days of Model S ownership we had to do this periodically...not much lately as the software has become much more reliable.
Also you can try the driver's screen reboot...hold both bottom steering wheel buttons down.
There are more dramatic things that can be done as well, the infamous fuse 51 pull...but if the soft reboots don't work I recommend calling Tesla. They can diagnose many things remotely.

Congrats on the new MS! Sorry you are having troubles with the auto dimming.

First recommendation is to try the center screen reboot...hold both steering wheel scroll wheels down until the center screen blanks.
In the early days of Model S ownership we had to do this periodically...not much lately as the software has become much more reliable.
Also you can try the driver's screen reboot...hold both bottom steering wheel buttons down.
There are more dramatic things that can be done as well, the infamous fuse 51 pull...but if the soft reboots don't work I recommend calling Tesla. They can diagnose many things remotely.

Okay, so is that to say that the automatic night mode works for you? In other words, the display goes into night mode when it's dark (like any other car)? You shouldn't have to switch it yourself?

Mine works fine too. First make sure it's set to auto and then reboot the large display by pressing and holding the two scroll wheels. If that doesn't fix it, then you'll need to call service.

Looks like I need to call service then. I rebooted and it seemed to work, but the next time I drove it I was again blasted with day-mode lighting. Thankfully it only seems to affect the screen and not the headlights.

Now to call service... haven't done this before... I'm on day 3 of owning a Tesla...

Just a note: The headlights and touchscreen are connected to the same light sensor, although different algorithms are used to determine which is on and for how long.

If it's nighttime and you drive under a lighted canopy, then you will find that within a few minutes the screen switches to day mode. Driving back out into the darkness, it will stay in day mode for about 5 minutes. I agree with others that it's waiting a bit too long to make this switch.

If your headlights are fine, then it's probably not a sensor issue. Reboot by holding both top buttons until the car resets. Also try rebooting using the two middle buttons to reboot the touchscreen. Ensure after the reboot that your display mode is set to "Auto". If all those check out, then it's time to call service.

Just a note: The headlights and touchscreen are connected to the same light sensor, although different algorithms are used to determine which is on and for how long.

If it's nighttime and you drive under a lighted canopy, then you will find that within a few minutes the screen switches to day mode. Driving back out into the darkness, it will stay in day mode for about 5 minutes. I agree with others that it's waiting a bit too long to make this switch.

If your headlights are fine, then it's probably not a sensor issue. Reboot by holding both top buttons until the car resets. Also try rebooting using the two middle buttons to reboot the touchscreen. Ensure after the reboot that your display mode is set to "Auto". If all those check out, then it's time to call service.

In a way this is bad news. If it's not the sensor, I might be screwed since this is "how it's supposed to work" or something. Even after rebooting everything I've been utterly blinded by the display several times now when it didn't switch to night mode. I ground my new rims on a curb pulling over to switch it back (somebody send me the number of a guy in the Bay Area to fix it please). Now I just leave it in night mode all of the time. Not fun. Anyhow, I'll call Tesla tomorrow and hopefully they will have some answers.

Thanks everybody for the help.

In a way this is bad news. If it's not the sensor, I might be screwed since this is "how it's supposed to work" or something. Even after rebooting everything I've been utterly blinded by the display several times now when it didn't switch to night mode..

Mine used to do that in one of the 4.x versions, but it's never done it since. IMHO, you have a problem.

In a way this is bad news. If it's not the sensor, I might be screwed since this is "how it's supposed to work" or something. Even after rebooting everything I've been utterly blinded by the display several times now when it didn't switch to night mode. I ground my new rims on a curb pulling over to switch it back (somebody send me the number of a guy in the Bay Area to fix it please). Now I just leave it in night mode all of the time. Not fun. Anyhow, I'll call Tesla tomorrow and hopefully they will have some answers.

I would associate screen brightness to the right roller wheel, at least at night. Although I'm not blinded by the screen, I do like to make adjustments as conditions change.

The way it's supposed to work shouldn't be giving you this much of an issue. The way it works now should be fine 99% of the time. Definitely have Tesla take a look--something's not right. (BTW, since there are various hardware configurations out there, it's believed that there are many different software builds for the various configurations of cars--it's possible there's an issue in your particular configuration).

No, you're not. The sensor isn't working properly; call your local service center and have them fix it.

I'm not 100% sure is the sensor, at least in my case, look at the post I did 5 min ago, I think it is a software problem

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/39913-Is-NAV-broken

The day sensing starts on the night mode since the car was in the garage, it won't switch to day mode, switching the console between Auto => Day will won't fix it and will still show the Night mode when on Auto, however if switching between Auto => Day => Night => Auto then it will fix it and show Day mode in Auto

I'm not 100% sure is the sensor, at least in my case, look at the post I did 5 min ago, I think it is a software problem

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/39913-Is-NAV-broken

The day sensing starts on the night mode since the car was in the garage, it won't switch to day mode, switching the console between Auto => Day will won't fix it and will still show the Night mode when on Auto, however if switching between Auto => Day => Night => Auto then it will fix it and show Day mode in Auto

When I pull out of the garage I switch from night to day within seconds. Time to call service!

Here's an update. I called service and they had me bring the car in. They fiddled around with it, using a jacket to cover up the sensor to simulate night. They rebooted it in night mode. This seemed to have fixed the problem, and it worked coming back from the mall earlier this evening. Then an hour later when we went to dinner and... same problem as last time.

I guess I need to take the car in for a "full scan" now. I'll let you know how it goes.