Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Xpel vs Opticoat Pro vs CQuartz vs Ceramic Pro DC/MD/VA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We did a lot of research and a lot of phone calls for pricing and reviews We ended up using Speed and Tech Motoring, LLC in Virginia. Raja was awesome to work with. He gave us an unbelievable price on Xpel and Opticoat over top. We dropped the car off and was provided with a loaner. When we picked it up, we were impressed at how it all looked. We didn't see any lines. The edges were folded over in 99% of the areas and where it couldn't be, it matched a line of the car. We did a full front hood, full fender, bumper, lights, mirrors, 4 doors and the entire car with opticoat pro. It was by far the best price. He even threw in the trunk sill and mud flap areas in free of charge! His contact info if anyone is interested is 703.565.4508 [email protected]. We would definitely recommend his work. It was unfortunately rainy and dark yesterday when we picked it up, so pictures will follow another day!

We did a lot of research and a lot of phone calls for pricing and reviews We ended up using Speed and Tech Motoring, LLC in Virginia. Raja was awesome to work with. He gave us an unbelievable price on Xpel and Opticoat over top. We dropped the car off and was provided with a loaner. When we picked it up, we were impressed at how it all looked. We didn't see any lines. The edges were folded over in 99% of the areas and where it couldn't be, it matched a line of the car. We did a full front hood, full fender, bumper, lights, mirrors, 4 doors and the entire car with opticoat pro. It was by far the best price. He even threw in the trunk sill and mud flap areas in free of charge! His contact info if anyone is interested is 703.565.4508 [email protected]. We would definitely recommend his work. It was unfortunately rainy and dark yesterday when we picked it up, so pictures will follow another day!
I'm thinking of doing this on my car. Do you have any pictures?

Just to add some info for anyone looking at these products. First my discloser as I am an Opti-Coat and XPEL dealer so I want to make that clear. With that said though I always want the best products in its class and IMO its Opti-Coat Pro + and XPEL. Not bias just think they are better than anything else we have used is all. Optimum has improved Opti-Coat Pro with Opti-Coat Pro +. This adds another 5cc's that get applied within a 30-60min window after the pro is applied. It adds even more gloss and increases the hydrophobic properties. Its super slick and you can even drive the car away immeditaely once + is installed which is nice. Now with better gloss and a slicker surface it has more advantages that cQuartz does IMO. 9H hard coating, insane gloss, more chemical protection than other coatings,and it does not need to be reapplied like cQuartz after 2 years. Add in Optimum's other products and its a full package. Combine Opt-Coat with XPEL and you have all the protection you could ask for. Outstanding products as many of you all know. Not looking to really debate as everyone has their preferences and nothing wrong with that of course. Just had not seen the new + mentioned yet.

We just started with the + version and anyone considering these products should not hesitate but make sure your going to get the new + version! Of course the installer has to be an Optimum dealer to get these products. It will increase the cost on our end so of course on the retail end as well but its so worth it. Day after we did our first car with it I was still tickled every time I grabbed the door handle and felt how slick it was. Not as grabby as just the Pro is while its still curing.

Anyone getting the + done would love to hear the feedback from your experience.

So no one is confused, 9H that coating companies are using is 9H on the pencil hardness scale, not moh's mineral hardness scale. The hardness of a coating has been blown out of proportion by this industry and it has taken advantage of owner's ignorance. In the beginning(years ago), many professionals were also duped due to their lack of knowledge and marketing. But the industry has advanced and now professionals are aware, or should be, that 9H on the pencil hardness scale is not impressive in the real world.

Are coatings more scratch resistant than traditional waxes and sealants? Yes. But in terms of hardness(a term that defines how scratch resistant a material is, not it's resistance to breaking), coatings do not rate well at all on the moh's hardness scale. The reality is that sand and dirt tend to be more quartz than anything. If you look at the hardness of quartz, you'll find it's a 7 on the moh's hardness scale. Sand/dirt will scratch your coating. Now, take a look at graphite(what pencils are made of) on the moh's hardness scale. -I'll leave that up to you...

With all of that said, coatings are still the best protection short of PPF imho. But you should better understand their benefits as well as the marketing surrounding them.

What can you expect of a coating? Coatings may provide gloss enhancement beyond what polished paint provides, it can provide you with water behavioral properties(hydrophilic/hydrophobic), nano-particle protective properties(not as porous as clear coat for instance) chemical resistance and importantly, provides you with a thick sacrificial layer. What does a sacrificial layer give you? It's a wear and tear layer that can be reapplied almost countless times. This is important because your clear coat is not indefinite. Your clear coat, the top layer of clear paint, is finite and once permanently damaged can be ugly and expensive to improve(likely never to be perfect again). When your coating is damaged, it can be polished down and reapplied. Because coatings, when applied properly, are long wearing, they do provide a level of ease of maintenance. This is not to be confused as being an excuse to neglect your paint or maintenance techniques.

It's easy for detailers to talk negatively about other coatings they do not offer, while talking up the products they happen to carry. You should do your own independent research to see if what you're buying is the real-deal and a good long term fit for you or if you're just being sold something.

Because it was brought up and was wrong, I wish to make note of something. CQuartz Finest is an inorganic coating. The warranty guarantees that it will last for at least 2 years. It will age as anything else in the world...as it is used and maintained. It does not require reapplication in 2 years if properly maintained(which is said of any product). In short, you will get out of it what you put in.