Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got to see it for the first time ever! Cold Battery Range Loss Blue Bar!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing that the blue represents the energy required to be used to heat the batt before any actual charging will take place. So when you plugged in did it work to reduce the blue down to nothing and them begin to add to the brown/green?

Unfortunately when I died at zero I got none of these graphics (which would have been a waste of energy anyway). But after charging at 120v (very slowly) for a few hours still no such graphics, just the big 0 on the big screen. So I had to 'go for broke' the 5 miles to the SpC as slowly as possible with no indication as to SOC. Since that incident I've only seen the nag screen which comes on below 20 miles with the 'if it gets colder' warning.

Thanx for the video!
--

I'm guessing that the blue represents the energy required to be used to heat the batt before any actual charging will take place. So when you plugged in did it work to reduce the blue down to nothing and them begin to add to the brown/green?

Unfortunately when I died at zero I got none of these graphics (which would have been a waste of energy anyway). But after charging at 120v (very slowly) for a few hours still no such graphics, just the big 0 on the big screen. So I had to 'go for broke' the 5 miles to the SpC as slowly as possible with no indication as to SOC. Since that incident I've only seen the nag screen which comes on below 20 miles with the 'if it gets colder' warning.

Thanx for the video!
--
The blue represents the battery capacity lost due to cold soaked battery pack. The act of charging the car warms the battery. In my case, low SOC + Overnight Cold Soak as I forgot to plug in for the first time ever @_@

> The act of charging the car warms the battery. [islandbayy]

This is true, but I think active warming is used concurrently at these low temps (<20*F). Thus a large amount of the charge energy is being used (sacrificed) to raise batt temperature to allow faster charging to take place. Not much of this has been graphed and analyzed since it requires getting one's car 'into a pickle' first. This is the same pickle that Broder got himself into way back when.
--

I got this same blue line. I was actually driving the car. It was COLD like 23degreesF and when I hit about 20 rated miles it showed up. Pulled into my garage with 5 rated miles and there was only a tiny blue bar. My understanding is that it shows you how much of what you have remaining the car is going to use to keep the pack warm.

Nice, I was wondering about this just last week.

I was hoping it would appear not only when the battery is almost empty but at other states of charge to give more of a feel for how much energy is being diverted to heating.

But that's cool to see it, thanks for the video...

-m